Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Club will shortly announce a re-branding campaign.
We intend to move on from the “woke” inclusivity programme that had been the marketing mainstay of the last few seasons.
And focus on targeting the environmental agenda as our key demographic and geographic base is both socially and environmentally progressive.

The new call to action is:

“St Kilda: Dolphin friendly football”
No offense, but I’d kill Flipper for a tuna sandwich …

Some observations from training this morning:

• Brad Hill and NAS's skills are elite.
  • Riley Bonner will end up being an inspired bit of recruiting. He has been impressive all pre-season and you've got to ask why Port let him go? Moves well, deceptively tall (190cm), and has sublime skills.
  • Steele looks super fit and in amazing shape. Looks like he may have put on a little of the bulk that he shed last year. (Back to his 2021 size).
  • Zac Jones only ran laps today but he looks in amazing physical shape. Just a ball of muscle. If he can stay fit, then the combination of him, Hill, Henry, NAS & Sinclair will be too much for most sides. Speed, speed, speed!
  • Tim Membrey looks super fit.
  • James Van Ess is a beast. At one point he was running laps with Dougal and he is taller and larger than Dougal. The only knock on him is that his kicking skills are average at best. Same goes for Allison. He gets a lot of the ball & moves well but has a very unusual kicking style which isn't very effective.
  • Josh Battle trains like he plays. He throws himself at everything.
  • Hunter Clarke - I know we say this every pre-season but I honestly believe this is the fittest he's looked. He seems to have dropped the puppy fat and his fitness is much better. A big year for him.
  • Mitchito-son - What impressed me about Mitch today was his decision making. I can't recall him picking a wrong option and his skills were very good.
  • Windy was great. Involved in everything and looks super fit.
  • Of the new recruits, Paddy Dow & Liam Henry trained although neither did anything that stood out today. None of the draftees trained today.
  • NAS was the standout for me today. His pre-season has been great. He's deceptively tall and his kicking skills...wow!
  • Higgins trained today. He'd missed a fair bit of training prior to Christmas so it was good to see him out there.
  • Still no Butler.
  • Max, Crouch, Marshall, Caminiti, Jones all in the rehab group. Caminiti looks huge. He was a big boy anyway but it looks like he's spent plenty of time in the gym.
  • Cooper Sharman was also impressive today. He has some seriously impressive skills. At one stage he kick a left footed 30m pass which hit one of our forwards lace out (pardon the pun!)
  • RTB was noticeably more involved today and at one stage yelled at a bloke in the stands to stop filming training.
  • A real big focus on ball movement - particularly transition ball movement. Skills were excellent today.
  • I know David King was positive about Max Heath, but from what i saw he took two relatively easy marks and converted them into goals. Other than that, I didn't see him do much and as someone else mentioned, was well beaten by Campbell in the ruck duals.

I honestly didn't see them at all sorry!
Both Keeler and Hotton in full training but the group were split up both ends and then the players had purple and yellow bibs on.
Saw a little of Keeler, saw Hotton but not his play.
Jones actually joined in the bibbed ball movement.
Bonner a post high goal off a step from on the 50 BTW.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Riley Bonner will end up being an inspired bit of recruiting. He has been impressive all pre-season and you've got to ask why Port let him go? Moves well, deceptively tall (190cm), and has sublime skills.
  • Steele looks super fit and in amazing shape. Looks like he may have put on a little of the bulk that he shed last year. (Back to his 2021 size).
  • Zac Jones only ran laps today but he looks in amazing physical shape. Just a ball of muscle. If he can stay fit, then the combination of him, Hill, Henry, NAS & Sinclair will be too much for most sides. Speed, speed, speed!
  • James Van Ess is a beast. At one point he was running laps with Dougal and he is taller and larger than Dougal. The only knock on him is that his kicking skills are average at best. Same goes for Allison. He gets a lot of the ball & moves well but has a very unusual kicking style which isn't very effective.
  • Hunter Clarke - I know we say this every pre-season but I honestly believe this is the fittest he's looked. He seems to have dropped the puppy fat and his fitness is much better. A big year for him.
  • Mitchito-son - What impressed me about Mitch today was his decision making. I can't recall him picking a wrong option and his skills were very good.
  • Of the new recruits, Paddy Dow & Liam Henry trained although neither did anything that stood out today. None of the draftees trained today.
  • NAS was the standout for me today. His pre-season has been great. He's deceptively tall and his kicking skills...wow!
  • Higgins trained today. He'd missed a fair bit of training prior to Christmas so it was good to see him out there.
  • Still no Butler.
  • Max, Crouch, Marshall, Caminiti, Jones all in the rehab group. Caminiti looks huge. He was a big boy anyway but it looks like he's spent plenty of time in the gym.
  • Cooper Sharman was also impressive today. He has some seriously impressive skills. At one stage he kick a left footed 30m pass which hit one of our forwards lace out (pardon the pun!)
  • RTB was noticeably more involved today and at one stage yelled at a bloke in the stands to stop filming training.
  • A real big focus on ball movement - particularly transition ball movement. Skills were excellent today.
  • I know David King was positive about Max Heath, but from what i saw he took two relatively easy marks and converted them into goals. Other than that, I didn't see him do much and as someone else mentioned, was well beaten by Campbell in the ruck duals.
The knock on Bonner is his competitiveness and lack of defensive pressure…lost his place at Port to Miles Bergman, who we tried to recruit!

The knock on Bonner is his competitiveness and lack of defensive pressure…lost his place at Port to Miles Bergman, who we tried to recruit!
Maybe under a RTB system of accountability and roles as opposed to Ken's system of going out in straight sets he'll thrive?

Only time will tell but those 1-2% quality increase players can really add up look at Markov

• Still no Butler.

Thanks for the info its always great when supporters share what they see.

Just two things.
1: The Japanese suffix is "San"

2: What time did training start?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol righto chief, off ya trot.
Its over an hour drive for me each way and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing that for nothing.
There's been some variations recently too with tuesdays session starting elsewhere etc. Again, wanted to make sure that wasn't the case.
Big inconvenience for you to scroll on, legend?
Cheers.
It's over an hour to Delburn? My God, what a trip!

Thanks for the info its always great when supporters share what they see.

Just two things.
1: The Japanese suffix is "San"

2: What time did training start?
The way we talk about him here we should use "Sama"

"Appropriate usages include divine entities, guests or customers and sometimes towards people one greatly admires."

I also have no idea when Training started, we might have to ask David King

Wasn't that simple. I was a big Petracca fan but the rationale was that a key FF would cost a fortune after the Bulldog Boyd trade and we could build around the FF.
I didn't agree and it turned out unfortunately to be a poor strategy, with Paddy an injury bust.
Went to training today, Pou looks great, filled out, core strength looks great.
Clark covering lots of ground looks to have had a good preseason.
Ball work slick as I have seen. Steele, Dow, and Ross look extremely fit.
No Wilson, Collard, Hastie, Shoenmakers. AFL media training or something.
Only new recruit from last two years not in full training is Van Es, running laps with King.
Wood also in full training same with Owrns, shock of long curly hair.
Hayes and Crouch running laps same with Hammer. No Butler.
Wilkie flattened Coops in a marking contest. Grabbed him as he marked and Coops fell from about 6 feet, flat on his back. Winded but ok.
Left before the running.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I managed to get along today, as I had planned to get to a session before I head back to work, and saw Butler early doing drills with the rehab squad.....

• Still no Butler.
Great report. Funny I was at the top of the DFC stand and on my phone when RTB yelled. Nearly dropped my phone. Fortunately he was pointing at the other end to me....I swear.

I didn't make many notes as not really my go but this what I did FWIW.

Steele looking bloody fit and body shape very good and moved really well. He has an uninjured season and our chances of top 8 again sky-rocket

Nas kicking is a thing of beauty. Very Aussie Jones now in his ability to distribute and open up the ground.

Van Es not so much with a number of poor kicks but if he can improve on that he could be a defensive beast for us as he moves pretty well.

Hotton I'm very interested to see him play the pre season games and early VFL after watching today. Trained very well.

Battle is in ripping nick and training form...talk of him going elsewhere seems insane to me

Big Moose got a couple of nice hit outs in the last 3/4 ground drill in front of where I was sitting on the wing against TC . As most have said, he has the football tools. Can he build an AFL 1st ruck level tank? He should call Max Gawn and ask him what he did at the same age to improve his tank. Help out a fellow Max and all that.

I couldn't see who the player was who took the big hit in the marking contest in the last couple of mins down the South Rd end. Looked just winded but seemed from distance that the vest being so loose it contributed. My initial reaction was that it became a pull on the vest that with a jumper the hand of the defender would have slipped off. Anyway it was a cracking contest by the player so was pleased to see them be able to shake it off after a couple of mins. He had a cap on. Was it Hunter? Too far away for my eyes...

Was looking forward to seeing the draftees but that will need to wait until next week.

Anyone know who 40 and 46 are? I presume Sandy players. Both didn't look out of place

I couldn't see who the player was who took the big hit in the marking contest in the last couple of mins down the South Rd end. Looked just winded but seemed from distance that the vest being so loose it contributed. My initial reaction was that it became a pull on the vest that with a jumper the hand of the defender would have slipped off. Anyway it was a cracking contest by the player so was pleased to see them be able to shake it off after a couple of mins. He had a cap on. Was it Hunter? Too far away for my eyes...

Someone (Joffaboy?) in an earlier post reported seeing an incident, similar to the one you have described, involving Cooper Sharman.

Someone (Joffaboy?) in an earlier post reported seeing an incident, similar to the one you have described, involving Cooper Sharman.
ah thanks. Had missed JB's post. Was a big hit. Thought there was no contact allowed from defenders 😜 Joke.

So then what I saw was Coops flew and Wilkes hand pulled down a little on the yellow vest as Coops body came across him from his blindside. So was just unlucky.

Was good if you like that attitude of see ball get ball from a forward...also good for a player with the speed of an ill fated ship if you believe some😁

ah thanks. Had missed JB's post. Was a big hit. Thought there was no contact allowed from defenders 😜 Joke.

So then what I saw was Coops flew and Wilkes hand pulled down a little on the yellow vest as Coops body came across him from his blindside. So was just unlucky.

Was good if you like that attitude of see ball get ball from a forward...also good for a player with the speed of an ill fated ship if you believe some😁
I was just near the gate to and from the rooms so that happened right in front of me. Very accidental, Wilkie just happened to pull down on the back of Sharman's vest at the wrong moment and it meant he came down flat on his back from full height and got winded. The funny thing was that Wilks looked worried he was gonna feel RTB's wrath, and was trying to get Coops back up on his feet ASAP!!

They were very vocal today, lots of match sim style work and really vocal on positioning and reinforcement.
An early half field drill where the defenders had to get the ball out of D50 to the centre line then the forwards had to get the ball inside F50 for a shot at goal was interesting. A number of coaches screaming at the defenders to get back into proper position immediately after getting the ball out of their area.
Wood also in full training same with Owrns, shock of long curly hair.
The guy stood next to me asked Wood about his injuries while he was changing into his runners late int he session, and he said he wasn't doing the final drill but would be back to full load next week. Which I guess is basically in full training now, but not strictly as of today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back