Autopsy 2024 Rd 0 - Harry kicks the winner vs Lions

Who played well for the Blues vs the Lions in Round 0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything involving Buckley will skew towards the negative on Carlton.
don't agree with that - not about carlton bias, they're just making out coleman is andrew mcleod - he's a good young player but.......

Since arriving Acres has been incredible. Great recruiting
Typically you recruit for needs or go hunting through the bargain bin for cast offs.

We got a rare 2-for-1 with Acres.

Thinking back, two of my absolute highlights were the kicks by cerra and Harry into the 50.

Low, penetrating and found a free target.

This generation of players has worked hard for every goal and the default has always been to kick high, long and hope for a mark or lock it in for repeat entries.

Seeing the technique and the movement to make passes like that makes the team more dangerous and importantly, less predictable.
From memory, Fantasia's 1st touch was a beautiful kick I50 which resulted in a mark and goal.

Jono Brown hilighted the difference in positioning from David Cuningham in the first half (when playing on Coleman) as very defensive as opposed to the 2nd half when Coleman was injured - very offensive.

Coleman killed us in the prelim last season. His injury was a huge win for us. Also Cuningham did not play in this game. I have always mentioned that when Cuningham is quiet it's often because he's shutting down a good half back. Going into the prelim last season without he and Owies and going with Motlop who is defensively poor and Docherty who was an experiment at the time was a big reason they ran all over us from behind the ball.

This time around we have three forwards in the team in Fogarty, Owies and Cuningham who will do the defensive running. We learned a lesson from that game and I am sure that we never get run all over by opposition half backs again.

Cuningham is underrated, gets too much criticism for not getting enough of the ball. Is often manning gun half backs. Gun half back will win you games, especially if they get off the chain.

Last edited:
Typically you recruit for needs or go hunting through the bargain bin for cast offs.

We got a rare 2-for-1 with Acres.
One of the thing with Acres is that his immediate reaction is to step into whatever traffic is in front of him rather than wait to see what might happen. There are a lot of times where this gives us a huge head start on defences getting set.

What a win. My favourite moments
  • H -Taking the mark in the 3rd landing and seeing Berry in his way just pushing him over as an alpha flex. Also post game when Buckley made a statement framed a question H said" You should be a coach Bucks"
  • Lewis Young being proactive when he had the ball, marking and running forward to dispose of the ball and at other times looking to make an attacking kick.
  • Ollie has copped a bit of flak for his quiet game but I thought his efforts in the last quarter was outstanding when the game was on the line.
  • Zac's ability to step back through the traffic and change the angles.
  • Charlie despite not being able to grab his marks (partly due to Paine shoving him in the back at every contest) able to recover the ball and snap it through.
  • TDK showing real improvement in the ruck. Just needs to clean up the frees he gave away and jumping and missing the ball allowing O to easily take it out of the ruck for an easy clearance.
  • Jack Carroll (no Browny he wasn't taken in the Rooke draft this year that is another Carroll) showing plenty after a quiet year 3. Cracked in hard and had better penetration in his kicking than I remember.

Do any sides go with two rucks now?
The game is so much about run and team defence that I can’t see it.
Pittonet limits us and the improvement in McKay is obvious
Pittonet is a good back up if TDK needs a rest or conditions suit
I much prefer the TDK with Harry as second ruck in most situations, but a fully fit Pittonet will still be valuable in games with dominant opposition rucks.

As we saw last year in the 2 games against Melbourne late in the year where Pittonet and TDK double teamed Gawn and really negated his influence on the game both times, with help from the other players who banged into him every chance they got, so there will be times we need both pure rucks but most times I’d go TDK and H.

No Cripps and then followed up by Dunkley getting votes is absolutely criminal to me

Love that fog got credit
Yeah I just love what Fogarty brings to our team, the best tackler in the game bar none, big small medium doesn’t matter the Fogs gonna get you, even players at full speed he still hangs on like a tic on a dog.

His work rate up the ground is phenomenal, has clean hands in the contest, makes smart decisions, kicking has improved, just an old school 1980s style mosquito fleeter of the highest caliber, would be proud to carry his number 8 on my back all day long. 😁😁👍👍 Love the Velvet Fog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I just love what Fogarty brings to our team, the best tackler in the game bar none, big small medium doesn’t matter the Fogs gonna get you, even players at full speed he still hangs on like a tic on a dog.

His work rate up the ground is phenomenal, has clean hands in the contest, makes smart decisions, kicking has improved, just an old school 1980s style mosquito fleeter of the highest caliber, would be proud to carry his number 8 on my back all day long. 😁😁👍👍 Love the Velvet Fog.
He’s fast becoming my favourite player and I’m not ashamed of it

don't agree with that - not about carlton bias, they're just making out coleman is andrew mcleod - he's a good young player but.......

I thought Buckley was in our corner on this one - said to Jono Brown that he was (paraphrasing) downplaying what the blues achieved on the night and too much significance was placed on Coleman, “luck” etc.

From memory, Fantasia's 1st touch was a beautiful kick I50 which resulted in a mark and goal.
And Charlie’s first goal of the 3rd was from a Fogarty kick straight to his chest, which he dropped but recovered and kicked the goal.

Newmans kick to Harry end of the 3rd which he marked and goal, then the last goal of the game again from a Newman kick.

Coleman killed us in the prelim last season. His injury was a huge win for us. Also Cuningham did not play in this game. I have always mentioned that when Cuningham is quiet it's often because he's shutting down a good half back. Going into the prelim last season without Owies and going with Motlop who is defensively poor and Docherty who was an experiment at the time was a big reason they ran all over us from behind the ball.

This time around we have three forwards in the team in Fogarty, Owies and Cuningham who will do the defensive running. We learned a lesson from that game and I am sure that we never get run all over by opposition half backs again.

Cuningham is underrated, gets too much criticism for not getting enough of the ball. Is often manning gun half backs. Gun half back will win you games, especially if they get off the chain.

Cunningham fit, he plays…

Just a smart player who can do it all, after a solid preseason and an uninterrupted start to the season, he could be anything…

Coleman killed us in the prelim last season. His injury was a huge win for us. Also Cuningham did not play in this game. I have always mentioned that when Cuningham is quiet it's often because he's shutting down a good half back. Going into the prelim last season without Owies and going with Motlop who is defensively poor and Docherty who was an experiment at the time was a big reason they ran all over us from behind the ball.

Spot on, and this has been a major weakness for us for a longtime halfbacks killing us, but the way we now use Cunners, Fogarty, Cottrell and now Fantasia has not only gone a long way to fixing the weakness but has weaponised those half forwards into extra mids in transition, this is possible because they all have great tanks which hasn’t been the case in the past.

Cunningham fit, he plays…

Just a smart player who can do it all, after a solid preseason and an uninterrupted start to the season, he could be anything…

Hope so but he teases and never delivers.

He will need to be more consistent to hold his spot when Motlop Martin Walsh Hollands all become available. We have options

Spot on, and this has been a major weakness for us for a longtime halfbacks killing us, but the way we now use Cunners, Fogarty, Cottrell and now Fantasia has not only gone a long way to fixing the weakness but has weaponised those half forwards into extra mids in transition, this is possible because they all have great tanks which hasn’t been the case in the past.

Very true. I think we now need to find the balance between shutting down and becoming more dangerous up forward.

Fogarty, Cottrell & Cuningham can lock down but need to provide more attacking options. Can we carry all three? The addition of Motlop & Martin along with E.Hollands will make it interesting on selection. I also expect Fantasia to get a lot better. Owies is a bit of a wildcard. Good defensively but can also kick groups of goals. Then there is Moir & C.Durdin?

I don't know the answer but my gut feel is we need to find a better balance up forward between attack and defence. We need more goals from our smalls on a consistent basis

Back