Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Well we paid big money for Williams for this very situation to help out in midfield -- does he have enough miles in his legs to play hhf/mid. If it's wet he a good mud runner

Jim, you're claiming that Gawn was dominant, he wasn't.
He had more hitouts (Blues w/more clearances) but his impact around the ground was similar to Pitt.
I'd take that as a win in a scenario where it's role player v star.
They both got disposals off, but Gawn was doing better on the outside/around the ground. Pittonet was playing hot potato like most of our inside mids, just not as good at it.

I think we can do a lot better, and I think with our current ruck stocks we also need to accept that we're not going to dominate the hitout wins most matches and strategise accordingly.
I am not a medical person - all I know is that (IMO) it is no accident that Saad was injured at the same time two years in a row now ( interesting that no one has made the connection which is pretty obvious to those who are less culturally deprived) and that his run and smarts have been sorely missed - the quicker he gets back the better and he should only get back when he is right to go.
I have noticed, but he's not going to drop his cultural beliefs, and nor should he have to. There is a mild argument for what you're saying, but if that's the issue it's also fixable without doing so.

On the other hand people don’t react to your agenda bias toward Pitto and Kennedy.
I look at them in terms of the structural weaknesses they create. They are far from alone in that regard, but even when everyone's making the right decisions, that isn't as easily papered over as that of others. I can respect that they are hard working professionals, but I see a premiership winning team as one that's unlikely to have one or both of them.

Kennedy would do well in a different team/system that needs a 2nd or 3rd clearance mid, and this off-season would be the time to make that deal IMO.

But right now - assuming Cerra is fit - we should probably be looking at Carroll ahead of Kennedy for the dynamic play and versatility, just as we should have been looking at Dow sooner last year.

To my eyes we have looked the better side in 3 of the last 4 games against top 6 sides. We are right up there.

That said we are really up against it this week. Swans run ahead of the ball and they use it so well they hit open targets. Often. They have a lot of weapons. Our big forwards should be a challenge for them (as any side). I LOVED watching Charlie roam on Thursday and on this ground could create havoc with his kicking if he pushes up the ground.

Hayward a bit of a worry as we haven’t managed his types well. Heeney has to be hard tagged. Not ‘run with’. At various points they will go fast and we must have a simple plan for that. Which I think is keep a man behind the ball and don’t press too high when the Swans think they’re on a roll. Requires the on field leaders to call it.

I saw plenty of blocks and shepherds from TDK through the early stretch of the season? His hitouts to advantage performances are more up and down, but the mobility gap between him and Pittonet makes a difference after the tap, of that I have no doubt.
I think we mentioned it to each other even last season. That tdks post hitout contest work was really below par. I think it was better earlier but, maybe I'm being harsh, the 3 or so rounds before pitto came back and now that he's back it looks to me like he's completely fallen back into those habits of not wanting to do a ruckmans Job, wanting to get outside the stoppage and receive a handball. With kreuz the ruck coach and Cripps openly stating he prefers the pitto style I don't think he's being instructed to exit early either. I think you're right with needing more run. I'm not sure I'd trade out pitto for it though. Unsure why the half forwards and things don't provide more. Think unlock that first and readdress the rucks afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan is the perfect match up for Hayward

Weitering, Kemp, Gov > Amarty, McLean, McDonald

Newman, Cincotta, Boyd > Papley, Wicks, rotational player
I think we win it in the middle if Pitto/TDK can negate Grundy.

Cripps/Walsh/Hewett/Kennedy/Acres >>> Heeney, Adams, Gulden, Rowbottom, Warner, Lloyd....

Will they risk McCartin????

Blakey's a great line breaker but as a defender?

He's their tallest defender at 196cm. Gives Harry 9cm + extra wingspan - fair advantage...

Their team vs. the Shockers....

1715468602754.png

Cripps/Walsh/Hewett/Kennedy/Acres >>> Heeney, Adams, Gulden, Rowbottom, Warner, Lloyd....

He's their tallest defender at 196cm. Gives Harry 9cm + extra wingspan - fair advantage...

View attachment 1986696

Like most games, it will be won between the arcs and if we get enough looks, we might trouble their lack of height in the backline

View attachment 1986696

Be surprised if Pitto plays. Hand injury not good I’m told

Assuming last week's changes broke the 'next man up' mantra, as we actually dropped a bunch of players......

Out: Cera (inj), Durdin

In: Williams, Binns

Ollie to sub; George starts
what is this Obsession with getting Jaxon Binns into the side.... When he came on a few weeks ago as the sub he looked like a little boy amongst men Who on the small ground versus Sydney will get pummelled... It's a massive Step Up for him and we have better options , including Ollie who had a great 1st quarter with 8 to 9 possessions to being a major reason we got off to that six goal head start... Yes he got caught with the ball however he is only in his second year and with experience he will begin to sense the danger with more peripheral vision & on-field talk with the senior players... Coaches will give him the feedback and confidence to work through this with strategies and practice... We do have Greg Williams at our disposal as a coaching resource who will have the very best practical advice as he did with Essendon's captain Merritt ... The diesel himself would have faced the same issues with getting caught as he was slow however super quick in the mind and developed an incredible lateral side step to alleviate the problem

what is this Obsession with getting Jaxon Binns into the side.... When he came on a few weeks ago as the sub he looked like a little boy amongst men Who on the small ground versus Sydney will get pummelled... It's a massive Step Up for him and we have better options , including Ollie who had a great 1st quarter with 8 to 9 possessions to being a major reason we got off to that six goal head start... Yes he got caught with the ball however he is only in his second year and with experience he will begin to sense the danger with more peripheral vision & on-field talk with the senior players... Coaches will give him the feedback and confidence to work through this with strategies and practice... We do have Greg Williams at our disposal as a coaching resource who will have the very best practical advice as he did with Essendon's captain Merritt ... The diesel himself would have faced the same issues with getting caught as he was slow however super quick in the mind and developed an incredible lateral side step to alleviate the problem
Hollands holds his spot after last game efforts....

But I'd like Binns to get a proper run sooner than later.

Essentially the same size as Hollands, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Be surprised if Pitto plays. Hand injury not good I’m told
Rest him. Pitto's effectiveness tapers right off when he's not 100%.
Can't carry any passengers this week, we don't have a good history vs. Sydney at home.
I think we've won twice in 15 years.

For Gods sake don’t press too high this week. At any point. Don’t do it.
Why? Because they're 'fast'? should we sit back and let them run in waves at us? Sounds worse. Don't give Blakey Heeney or gulden etc. I'm happy to give them 4-5 over the back goals if we cut out everything else by being in their face constantly. Good way to hit them. Same thing we did to gws

We did, his hand. :p
Cat Carrying GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back