Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Its the best fan based AFL podcast/channel in the country. PommyInOz, Jumper Punch, Blue Abroad, Navy Blue Corner, MyBlueHeaven are all fantastic channels to tune into rathen than the garbage that is AFL 360 etc.
Easy now - my vote would be Prendercast by the length of the straight, content & production is streets ahead.
To be fair they do talk a bit the s**t as well - some don’t like that, i do.

Good luck this week, Blue Baggers.

Despite our traditional Coll-Carl rivalry, I’m so sick of the Swans being good and really want to see them suffer. And I loathe Papley with a passion. So, for one week only, I’ll be cheering on your boys tonight.

I reckon you’ll get it done. Curnow and McKay should have a field day and take a ton of marks on the undersized Swans defence. Perhaps even as many grabs between them as Darcy Moore took last week!

I’m predicting at least 10 goals between Curnow, Cripps and McKay. Throw in a handful more from Owies, DeKoning etc and that’ll be more than the Swans can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn't happen.

Fake news.

11 intercept marks :cry:

I rewatched every contest Vs the Bulldogs and Cripps got his hands to it 3 x I think. Libba destroyed him ant ground level and Smith destroyed him on the outside.

Jordan Dawson BOG, Steele stopped him 2nd half we stopped, Dunkley BOG.

In 4 losses his man has been instrumental.

I think he has kicked one goal this year and you are telling me he is elite atm.

Couple that with the fact he doesn’t chase or push back, sides have worked out he can be exposed the other way.

He isn’t half the footballer he was last year atm.

he's carrying something....

Have suspected this for weeks. His positioning isn't Cripps-like at all.. He puts himself into position for Pitto to tap him the clean possession and if it doesn't happen he's caught horribly away from the contested ball which often gives the oppo a numbers advantage at the fall of the ball. For example, watch his positioning at the centre bounces late in the Dogs game. Had Pittonet won the tap he'd be off but as it was the Dogs won it too easily and smashed us.

That wasn't happening last year and you don't go from being one of the smartest positioned inside mids in the comp to the worst overnight the way that he has without something else going on.

The fact that Voss and co haven't pulled him up on it is confirmation in my opinion. If there's one thing Vossy knows it's midfield positioning. It helped Cripps win the Brownlow last year and Wines the year before. It's almost as though they've accepted a broken Cripps and feel his presence in a very limited capacity is better than no Cripps at all

Plenty of others on this list…

Motlop - witches hat. doesn’t kick goals, often out of position, can’t lay a tackle, way too small
Weitering - abysmal in 2023
Boyd - barely AFL level
Hollands - runs all day without any impact, can’t kick
Cottrell - done nothing since returning

I would have included Kennedy and Hewett.. but we do have someone who could come in for both.. we just refuse to pick him.

Agree on Motlop, Weitering and Boyd (I don't get the hype on this board with Boyd). Cottrell was good against the Doggies but quiet last week as most of them were. Hollands looks exciting.

Is the first game we've played Pitto and TDK together...without JSOS? Playing all 3 was madness.

Playing X + JSOS hasn't worked.

I'm quietly optomistic this is the right mix. Insane that we haven't tried it to this point of the season (unless I'm forgetting something).
We did this against Adelaide last year silvagni sub -- hope we get a better result tonight

Is the first game we've played Pitto and TDK together...without JSOS? Playing all 3 was madness.

Playing X + JSOS hasn't worked.

I'm quietly optomistic this is the right mix. Insane that we haven't tried it to this point of the season (unless I'm forgetting something).
Round 20 last year vs Adelaide. JSOS was sub and came on at close to half time when Durdin was injured. Had 13 disposals in a half compared to TDK 8 for the game.

This club has broken my optimism, a win here and there does little to restore my faith that we can get the job done.
For some ridiculous reason we also harp on about hard it is to win on the road!
I'm not expecting 4 points tonight.
Come on blues, surprise me!

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

will the conditions drag sydney to our level of play before we strangle them with our play style? you'd think there'd be many more ball ups that hopefully our contested mids could control. conditions may mean their somewhat slighter crew can't break away.
be interesting to see what the small forwards can get up to this game, whether it's the old 'expect the ball to land behind the pack in the wet'.
harry to be a bit more useless up the ground, no fault of his though. at some point could be worth bringing cc further up the ground with his better in-play skills.

we used to play really well in the wet under bolton. i can remember the tactics of getting near the ball and letting the opposition pick up the ball before tackling them to win a free kick and clean possession. these days i worry about attempting to chip the ball around - we could be forced to move the ball on at all costs, or chip chip chip in slimy weather. we're well practised at going long down the line though. in fact last year, i can remember games where we would not soccer off the ground in the wet. hmm...

more enthusiastic about watching this one than some of our recent games, sydney are kind of at our surprisingly poor level. even a win against a side well out of form will do something for confidence. good luck in front of goal, tom. hopefully gets 4-5 early goals to settle the stomach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes....... Been CARRYING THE TEAM for so long he is exhausted. :straining:

Reminds me of a watch I bought. It ran a bit fast.
Then after a few weeks it just stopped.
I took it back to the shop and the guy said "what do you expect".

"You would stop too if you had been running fast for weeks " ;)

Seriously though I think you might be right unfortunately.

And with the every loss the pressure mounts. Viscous bloody circle.
Totally agree. We badly need a win (understatement of the year).

To me it seems Voss is not able to inspire the playing group. After the media flogging we've received over last month or so you'd expect players to come out and run through brick walls. What more motivation did they need ?

The first 2Qs of last weeks game was unforgivable really when you think about it. Specially seeing how they played much better (at least in effort) in the second half. Begs the question why didnt they start the game with the same intensity as they showed in the second half? Against arch enemy and in front of a massive crowd. However, our boys seem to go the other way and not show up.

Would be embarrassing if Ed is the sub again
I reckon he is getting the guernsey as a kind of Charlie pep up.

The delight that they show toward each other is 'good' for team morale.

I love Ed and what he has done for the club in his time at the blues but not sure he commands a place in the 23 every week, I guess his place is there for the taking if someone can get in front of him.

Just somehow need to get it done tonight.
If we can win this and gain some confidence, we may just get rolling.
I think we saw signs of a shift in momentum in the last fortnight.

McKay - revamped his kicking technique (drop punts)
Voss - trialling faster ball movement in spurts
Selections - seen some movement and creativity here

Momentum is always hardest to start. Hope this is a good sign of things to come. Of course, while momentum is slow it can easily be stopped - a loss tonight or an ugly win against a club suffering heavy injuries would just about seal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back