Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

Happy to see which way the shoe drops for Dow tonight, but if he's not at least sub, it should be a week of headlines questioning how our football department is conducting itself in terms of intelligent operation of their core business: building towards winning games of football and a sustainable and respectful winning culture.
These changes were totally predictable, of course. Like for like replacements, and why change a winning formula?

Only interesting thing will be that if i remember correclty JSOS played back last week in the reserves and young forward/ruck. Wonder whether we try that again with SOS maybe going to Fritsch.
Fritsch would destroy him on the burst. No way.
I watched the game. Fisher was clearly best on. JSOS' kicking was poor but everything else was great in a new role (+ with Pittonet out) we needed the height. If Pitt was healthy JSOS and Young prob have more time in the 2s but you can't have TDK solo against Grundy/Gawn. LOB I'm not a massive fan of but Dow isn't competing with him for a wing spot. Would have preferred Binns but I understand taking a bit longer with him.
Fisher spent 70% of the game sheepdogging, which had a mixed return. I would say 40% of what he did was good to great, but the rest was just sagging off for the football and really not introducing any good cadence or any disposals that would unsettle an AFL opposition.

I would have preferred he sat out and we instead opened up a forward line rotation role for the mids, then use the open spot for Dow.
I’m not surprised Dow isn’t in. He needed Cerra or Cripps out.
See above
To be fair this would happen if Dow was in the team because he can only play as an inside midfielder.
You should look at the last 3 weeks of VFL then.
2 of the goals needed are about efficiency over 4 quarters and teh other 2 are on Harry. In a better world - Walsh and Cripps (for starters ) would start kicking a goal a game as they used to...

Team is not far off it - but that is just what the stats say - not the rhetoric on here.
My view is (and has been since last year) no coach can make up for this type of stuff - no coach or game plan or ABCD derivation of swapping magnets this is ALL on the players on field peformance...

enjoy the watching...

That kind of stuff on display is UNANALYSABLE which is why he asked people for help - it is inexplicably bad like so so bad...but the set shot kicking takes the cake...nothing a coach can do if your star forwards are missing set shots like that...it is all in the year's stats quoted previously - not rocket science.
I'm going to analyse it for you in 3 words: load management failure. I'm extremely confident the fitness staff were overruled or given too conservative a target to hit given the 5 day break and strong signs of fatigue in prior games.

Conspiracy time.....

Saw some footage of Paddy at training, not a care in the world, didn't look like someone on the outer, frustrated, he kicked a goal in training and was fist pumping whilst Walsh solemnly walked past him........
What if club X told him they wanted him but couldn't fit him in last year, told him to sit tight at Carlton for the final year of his contract and they'd pick him up for naught as a free delisted agent at the end of this season. Certainly explains his demeanor and how players seemingly bypassed him on the track. Also lends itself to what was mentioned by one of us in regards to him not being a good fit to the rest of the team, and something I've heard about an "agreement"....
Just saying, starting to make sense, especially if the club have got wind of something
Dow wanted to stay, nobody wants to pay his contract and presumably Carlton didn't like the salary remainder to pick balancing offered in any decent deals.

There's no conspiracy beyond that, his agent would be noting on-going interest, but I doubt there was a good deal on offer given Setterfield yielded sweet * all.

Maybe they’re waiting for Dow to get jack of it and say he wants to leave, which means he breaks the contract they don’t have to pay him out.
That's just sociopathic, and almost definitely not happening.
Trying to match an opponent's clear advantage/ strength is pretty stupid. It's a mistake the Aussie cricket team makes every time they go to India and one Carlton makes whenever pitto or TDK are unfit by selecting jack as a part time ruckman. There is no logic to throwing jack or young (whoever has been selected as '2nd ruck') to the wolves this game. Such a waste of resources. Big H can and should just chop out. Cripps could just to rest TDK. Hate picking someone just for a made up 'position'

How bout focus on our strength. Fit the extra contested mid in so it doesn't *ingg matter if their ruck wins more taps (pick Travis head your most in form player not leave him out cause derr match India's line up). Such a common mc outsmarting themselves error

3 peat Hawthorn stopped bothering with clearances and didn't try to match teams there they just beat them everywhere else.
Bingo. I'd have never picked Fisher and had O'Brien, Kennedy, Dow, Walsh, Cripps rotating into forward roles for a portion of their on-field time, then had Silvagni (on-ball) and Motlop (first receive/centre bounce) rotating the other way. Just unshackle them and use load management to prevent them running out of gas/momentum.
Why was Young ever dropped?
s**t himself in R9 and was subbed out, R10 he was showing further signs of fatigue along with a shorter opposition in R11. Made sense, but we clearly needed to rotate more aggressively (in and out of game).
I hope they let Fisher play some midfield time tonight. To me, it seems pointless if you let him get back in form in the midfield in the reserves and just play him only in a forward role when he is in the AFL team.
I think it was more about miles in the legs on his own terms rather than being dragged up and down the field by opponent work rate, but he got away with very little physical opposition against the Sydney reserves side... I don't rate the selection and think he'd be lucky to do anything of note, even if we cracks 20+ disposals.

Confidence isn't the only issue with him.
Is there a pass mark for Dow tonight? Let's assume he gets a QTR?
For further selection? Assuming that's 25 minutes and he's entirely used in midfield: 6-10 disposals, 2-4 clearances, 1-2 goals or goal assists.

Just something that has him bursting out the attacking side and opening the game up without burning the structure the other way too readily.

Wow, the sub... poor Paddy will play 23 minutes when we are 61 points down and still get blamed for the loss. Nah, come on Paddy, take your chance if and when it comes.
And you forgot he will be played in the ruck or fullback. Back to the ressies for you paddy, just not up to it !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yay. Stoked that Dow is sub rather than Ed.

In an ideal world he gets in for a quarter and a half of the game, gets half a dozen or so possessions and has an impact. He then gets the rest of his full game tomorrow in the VFL and wins praise from the coaches.

Go Paddy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back