Half-forwards:Jack MartinCharlie CurnowSam Docherty
Forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraEd Curnow
Interchange:Matthew CottrellMatthew KennedyJesse Motlop
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Jack Silvagni

Last edited:
I don't know why people have trouble separating something that speaks to our past from the present situation. I think the reaction here says more about what is wrong with our 'supporters' right now than what is wrong with the club. You're all just determined to crap over anything to do with the club right now, sticking the boots in over anything it does. It's very predictable and just a little shameful.

Let's hope we win a few games and silence some who only come out to criticise.
I reckon it might have a bit to do with the age of supporters.

If you were born after 1990 you have really never experienced any genuine Carlton success, so you would understandably think "why celebrate the past".

I'm lucky, Carlton won 3 flags in my high school years. Going to Princes Park every second week was the highlight of my teenage years (boring all-boys catholic college didn't help ;)). Of course I still want to see acknowledgement and celebration of those times.

St.Kilda, South Melbourne, Melbourne etc. of my youth, never had any hope it could turn quickly. These days it can turn much quicker, providing you have a half decent list, which we do. So many recent examples of sides having that inexplicable rubbish year before experiencing success.

Confident we can turn it around tonight. If the black arm-band doesn't unite and inspire the group to give their absolute best, then nothing will.

Hey guys,
Haven't been to Princess Park since '92.
Can i ask the most convenient place to park reasonably close to the ground (15-20min walk) is fine.
Paid Car Park also fine, just dont want any hassles/stress driving in.

Apologies, couldn't find the relevant VFL thread.

Cheers...

Hey guys,
Can i ask the most convenient place to park reasonably close to the ground (15-20min walk) is fine.

Cheers...
Should be able to get a spot around Princes Park itself, good bet is on Princes Park Drive.

Hey guys,

Cheers...
I used to park on The Avenue. You can also use the Zoo carpark which is $2 for 5 hours.

Hey guys,

Cheers...
This comment gave me good memories of first going to Princes Park.

Saw Carl v Haw in rd 2 92 SOS kicked 8

My first game attending in Vic.

I remember the peanut man and little footy records.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

sometimes I wonder if Cooks comments (not the end of the world if we don’t make finals) was a wise response. Things have been going shizenhousen since.

Our players arent mentally all that tough so a comment like that from high up probably weakened the minds of our players in terms of fighting for wins just that little bit more.

Cook should have said “absolutely are aim is to make finals”. Like sayers did later on.
Go back and look when Cook said that and tell us we were going great before he brought on a form slump.

Go back and look when Cook said that and tell us we were going great before he brought on a form slump.
I don’t think that matters too much. It’s not something our players need to hear…ever.

We’ve hit a real low point in a season where most (if not all) were anticipating a good year.

Losing 7 on the trot is a low that hardly anyone could have anticipated.

We don’t need comments like Cooks. We need the opposite….just like what sayers said.

Closest crippa will ever get to a cup
" hey we are the most successful team of all time "
But guess what, we have sucked for a very long time
Sick of mediocrity
We have a list that should be top 6 right now
Supporters should not be taking the crap the club, from board to boot strappers is dishing out, simple as that
If anyone is happy with 2023 they are very much in denial
Ctl, alt del for the 5th time this century

hard to see us accounting for a side sitting in the top 8 when we played like a busted arse against sydney not long ago. still, you'd think like every week we win the stats, but even better given we can monster their midfield with their outs. the question has been whether we're clean enough, the answer has been too often 'no'.
this one isn't going to pretty watching. might sqeak home in spite of our skills, or the bombers will squeak home in spite of our midfield and stat dominance.

I can see this being a s**t end to the weekend. (No holiday in Perth)
Lose to this mob of cheats tonight and then watch India chase down our score because stupid *en Aussie captains still believe in sporting declarations.

* I hate sport.
I have a lot more faith in the Aussie bowling attack than Carlton's goal kicking prowess.

I would equate form in the VFL to much more than just getting touches.

If he was getting touches AND using the ball well then I would consider that good form .

He's only getting stats and butchering the ball half the time he gets it.

Clean up the disposal so he's damaging the opposition and I'd have no problem agreeing with you. Until then. He needs to keep working on it.
If u watch the vfl u will see that he is damaging. They spliced together a package of poor disposal to be “edgy”.
You get the ball on avg 32 times there’s going to be some mistakes.
His highlights (which there plenty of each game) easily out weighs it.
The “Dow can’t kick rhetoric” is bullshit, lacing out Harry perfectly last game shows that. His kicking has improved out of sight, he has power & penetration but is also hitting up the close targets.
He doesn’t get “easy” touches and finds good attacking options, finding space for team mates or starting a forward chain. Even when he’s slamming it on the boot to get it out the hot zone, he’s clearing it 40+ meters which at least gives the team a chance to set up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If u watch the vfl u will see that he is damaging. They spliced together a package of poor disposal to be “edgy”.
You get the ball on avg 32 times there’s going to be some mistakes.
His highlights (which there plenty of each game) easily out weighs it.
The “Dow can’t kick rhetoric” is bullshit, lacing out Harry perfectly last game shows that. His kicking has improved out of sight, he has power & penetration but is also hitting up the close targets.
He doesn’t get “easy” touches and finds good attacking options, finding space for team mates or starting a forward chain. Even when he’s slamming it on the boot to get it out the hot zone, he’s clearing it 40+ meters which at least gives the team a chance to set up
Agree. Butchering the ball half the time comment is a bit of an exaggeration…

Glory Days
Is a lot of why we've been stuck for over twenty years Gab.
I'm sorry you've lumped me in with the type that only come out after we lose...after all the years of unbridled optimism about our club that I too shared.
I'm hoping our woes are only short term too, but this,won't stop me from voicing feelings of dread about our club. There has been a lot wrong for a long time.
I absolutely believe it would be a dumb move to once again resort to Glory Days.
If it's a deflection attempt, it isn't going to work. Although clearly it still does for some.
Don't forget we are ALL Carlton supporters.
We can speaK our feelings and hopefully engage in debate without being called 'bad' supporters, or being trolled by selection of emoticon?

Edit: just saw both clubs are doing it for pre-game. Different context now I suppose, but no, I wouldn't be doing it atm.
And why?
Because it highlights that Bombers are much closer to 17 than we are.

Our club is a laughing stock right now, whereas Bombers are on the up.
Ayway Gab, enjoy the show.
Cheers.
Sorry, mbr, I didn't mean to lump you in with those types, sometimes when replying you end up going to places you didn't intend to at the beginning, probably shouldn't have quoted you in the end when i decided to refer to a certain type of supporter. I'm not calling you a 'bad' supporter, I get the frustration, I'm feeling it too.

I'm not really into the sideshow stuff that seems to be a big part of the AFL games these days, I'm really only interested in the game itself. The only way I'm really going to enjoy the show is if we win, so like every week we buckle up again. Go Blues!

Sorry, mbr, I didn't mean to lump you in with those types, sometimes when replying you end up going to places you didn't intend to at the beginning, probably shouldn't have quoted you in the end when i decided to refer to a certain type of supporter. I'm not calling you a 'bad' supporter, I get the frustration, I'm feeling it too.

I'm not really into the sideshow stuff that seems to be a big part of the AFL games these days, I'm really only interested in the game itself. The only way I'm really going to enjoy the show is if we win, so like every week we buckle up again. Go Blues!
Love ya Gab!

Yeh but he was asked ‘would it be a failure if Carlton didn’t make the eight’.

Honestly if our success or otherwise hinges on a couple words we have much bigger problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is 100% a failure that we’re not playing finals this year.

Full stop.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sometimes I wonder if Cooks comments (not the end of the world if we don’t make finals) was a wise response. Things have been going shizenhousen since.

Our players arent mentally all that tough so a comment like that from high up probably weakened the minds of our players in terms of fighting for wins just that little bit more.

Cook should have said “absolutely are aim is to make finals”. Like sayers did later on.
I really hope that this isn't right, if our players are this fragile of mind we're all in for a lot of pain whilst this group of players represent our club. If anything such a comment should galvanise them and make them want to show that it matters to them.

It’s the not the end of the world, and he’s right. You move on, as will 17 other teams without the premiership. Finals or bust is not an issue nor would the comments be at the forefront of the players (unfort fragile) minds.

He followed that up with the commentary & the look won’t be good (or something like that), he’s a realist.

Players hitting targets, scoring accuracy & digging in is more paramount IMO.

I reckon it might have a bit to do with the age of supporters.

If you were born after 1990 you have really never experienced any genuine Carlton success, so you would understandably think "why celebrate the past".

I'm lucky, Carlton won 3 flags in my high school years. Going to Princes Park every second week was the highlight of my teenage years (boring all-boys catholic college didn't help ;)). Of course I still want to see acknowledgement and celebration of those times.

St.Kilda, South Melbourne, Melbourne etc. of my youth, never had any hope it could turn quickly. These days it can turn much quicker, providing you have a half decent list, which we do. So many recent examples of sides having that inexplicable rubbish year before experiencing success.

Confident we can turn it around tonight. If the black arm-band doesn't unite and inspire the group to give their absolute best, then nothing will.
Yeah, I have thought of this before as well, there is a difference between groups of supporters due to having different experiences of the football club. I was lucky enough to grow up through a hugely successful era, finals annualy almost, going to the footy was a joy, and more often than not we came away as the winners.

I have my own kids who are in their mid-20s now who have never experienced anything coming close to what I have. More than anything, I want them and other supporters their age to get a taste of how that feels. On a purely selfish note I'd like to see a couple of more premierships myself.

In the pregame last week they showed highlights of his last VFL game. On the surface he got 35 disposals if something like that but something like 19 of them were either ineffective or were straight up turnovers.

If you can't kick in the VFL and are a turnover merchant at that level where the pace of the game isn't close to what it is in the AFL then what chance do you have of being an AFL regular?

Yeah, that was pretty damning by Ralphy with the impact of the possessions with some footage.
He obv gets some intel here, as he’s given up reasons previously on the thoughts of Dow’s game which sounded like they were from the coaching dept.

It’s the not the end of the world, and he’s right. You move on, as will 17 other teams without the premiership. Finals or bust is not an issue nor would the comments be at the forefront of the players (unfort fragile) minds.

He followed that up with the commentary & the look won’t be good (or something like that), he’s a realist.

Players hitting targets, scoring accuracy & digging in is more paramount IMO.
Competition couldn’t be any closer…doesn’t take much for you to be off your game and costing you another loss.

Yeah, that was pretty damning by Ralphy with the impact of the possessions with some footage.
He obv gets some intel here, as he’s given up reasons previously on the thoughts of Dow’s game which sounded like they were from the coaching dept.
If the options are Dow or LOB playing an outside/wing position Dow by the length of the Flemington strait…I hope another club picks him up next year and he sticks it up our coaching staff !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back