Preview 2023 Rd 14 Carlton vs Gold Coast Sunday June 18 1:10PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I've a soft spot for Fog. Love him to come in and provide a tackling and scoring presence in the front half.

Cuners to have 35 and kick 6 goals, Fog to have 12, lay 7 tackles, and kick 3 himself.

A blue can dream...
Hitting the opium pipe again Æthelred?

Looking at the named line up, it’s about as balanced as a side we have put out this year.. only glaring obvious one is Kennedy on the wing, clearly he can’t play there but have we tried Doch on the wing, would surely give us at least as much Cotterel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair I think this weeks changes have been spot on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
THE Suns have a goood list....deeeper and fit,quick ball movement

Not surprised pushing for 8....overdue

They dont like cold melbourne....they can be upset possibly
Tkey could be ripe for a failure with mounting pressure,Carlton could easily upset them at home with a return to some kind of form

need this game to attain respect.....othetwise its a return to the horrors post MM......did he curse us?

Some interesting matchups

Undersized down back

Weitering v Levi/Witts, Kemp v King, Gov v Lukosius

Or will Weitering remain our deepest defender, forcing us to really communicate the handovers. Either way, need to play back shoulder, forcing opponents to the skinny side of the ground

Holman will try to negate Saad, so we need others to block and or be that release player

Witts, need to takeaway his left side, especially around the ground, boundary throw-ins. Limit his tapping arc from 360 degrees to more 180 and or force him to use his right side

Anderson is the most damaging mid, Doc would be a perfect matchup, Cerra v Swallow, Rowell will go to Cripps

Cripps needs to exploit Rowell by drifting forward

Collins v Harry, Andrew v Charlie, they will want Ballard as the interceptor, but could swap with Andrew

If we get on top at stoppages, TDK forward could disrupt their intercept game

Fog deep, Owies a little higher with Cuners coming up to the edge of stoppages and turn his opponent round

Martin likely to get Powell

While still wanting speed on the ball, controlling possession and tempo is more critical

Last edited:
Some interesting matchups

Undersized down back

Weitering v Levi/Witts, Kemp v King, Gov v Lukosius

Or will Weitering remain our deepest defender, forcing us to really communicate the handovers. Either way, need to play back shoulder, forcing opponents to the skinny side of the ground

Holman will try to negate Saad, so we need others to block and or be that release player

Witts, need to takeaway his left side, especially around the ground, boundary throw-ins. Limit his tapping arc from 360 degrees to more 180 and or force him to use his right side

Anderson is the most damaging mid, Doc would be a perfect matchup, Cerra v Swallow, Rowell will go to Cripps

Cripps needs to exploit Rowell by drifting forward

Collins v Harry, Andrew v Charlie, they will want Ballard as the interceptor, but could swap with Andrew

If we get on top at stoppages, TDK forward could disrupt their intercept game

Fog deep, Owies a little higher with Cuners coming up to the edge of stoppages and turn his opponent round

Martin likely to get Powell

While still wanting speed on the ball, controlling possession and tempo is more critical

Their forward line looks ominous. Weitering will need to be on song and be the general. King’s height is a worry no Luko is every chance to obliterate Gov if he continues to play conditional football.

Dow became relevant because he had a string of very good performances in the reserves, at a time when the seniors were struggling. With players who play the same position injured, out of form and low on confidence, he appeared a natural replacement for Hewitt, for example.

He's also a former first round draft pick who has struggled previously, only been given two games in two years, and now appears to be in career best form at a time when we have very few good young players to get excited about.

Surely you can see why that generates interest in the preview threads. What else are we going to talk about?

What's kept it even more firmly on the radar is the baffling decision to play him as a substitute three weeks in a row. It will mean that from next week, he will be a month removed from playing a full game of football, and a month removed from the form and confidence he was building in the reserves.

I think a lot of people here empathise with Dow, at least. While he hasn't played as well as hoped, his career arc is a sorry indictment on our development and how we treat players generally. Right now, not only are we not giving him a shot, we're killing any chance at all he has of succeeding. That just doesn't seem fair.
This is as well articulated assessment of the Dow situation as I've seen. A lot of people initially saying "He doesn't come in because he can only play midfield and doesn't take any player's spot" until we had injuries and poor form. Now I am starting to see a lot of "We don't know what's happening behind the scenes with Dow and that's why he isn't getting a game". The fact is the treatment of Dow has been terrible. To add insult to an already horrible situation, we've played him the last 3 weeks as a sub. 1 month free of football. It's hard to watch, and if he does have an "attitude issue" I sure as hell can't blame him because I would have one too if I was treated the way he has been.

My opinion that preview threads shouldn't be constantly clogged with discussions of

This is as well articulated assessment of the Dow situation as I've seen. A lot of people initially saying "He doesn't come in because he can only play midfield and doesn't take any player's spot" until we had injuries and poor form. Now I am starting to see a lot of "We don't know what's happening behind the scenes with Dow and that's why he isn't getting a game". The fact is the treatment of Dow has been terrible. To add insult to an already horrible situation, we've played him the last 3 weeks as a sub. 1 month free of football. It's hard to watch, and if he does have an "attitude issue" I sure as hell can't blame him because I would have one too if I was treated the way he has been.
Pretty sure we play him for a month the argument disappears.
We are not playing for finals, so clearly the remainder of the season is about trying things in many different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back