Preview 2023 Rd 19 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday July 22 2:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

*EDIT - UPDATE:

IN: Lachie Cowan, Ed Curnow, Ollie Hollands, Josh Honey
OUT: Jordan Boyd (suspension), Adam Cerra (hamstring), Patrick Cripps (cork), Harry McKay (knee), Jack Martin (calf tightness.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshOliver HollandsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyJosh HoneyJesse Motlop
Forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew CottrellLachie CowanEd Curnow
Paddy Dow
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsZac FisherCaleb Marchbank
Lewis Young

Last edited:
We're only down in one department: inside midfield. If we need a big body there, we can throw Jack or Kemp in there in a pinch.

Every other part of the ground is ahead of where we were at the start of the year, whether it be in form or personnel.

In fact, this team is basically the same as round 1, except:

Dow for Kennedy
Honey for Martin
Kemp for Young
Cottrell for Fisher
Cuningham for Owies
Walsh for Cerra

Not seeing what you see.

Plus Fog for McKay and Cincotta for Cripps. 4 of those 8 changes are big downgrades. The other 4 negligible. Maybe a couple of slight upgrades depending on how you look at it.

Inside mid is pretty important. 3 of our best 4 onballers out plus Harry is significant. Most teams would struggle missing that. Kemp and SOS aren't options to go onball if we are serious.

I think supporters are doing that thing again where all our role players are superstars because we won a few games. We won those games because our stars played like stars and our role players played their role. Tomorrow some will need to do more then that. Fingers crossed they can.

Not saying we can't win. We still should but you cant deny this is a pretty weak team on paper.

Plus Fog for McKay and Cincotta for Cripps. 4 of those 8 changes are big downgrades. The other 4 negligible. Maybe a couple of slight upgrades depending on how you look at it.

Inside mid is pretty important. 3 of our best 4 onballers out plus Harry is significant. Most teams would struggle missing that.

Not saying we can't win. We still should but you cant deny this is a pretty weak team on paper.

R6 vs St Kilda...

Kemp for Young
Saad for Kennedy
Dow for Cripps
Fogarty for Fisher
Cuningham for Durdin
Cottrell for McKay
TDK for Pittonet
Docherty for Cerra

We were competitive with both of the line-ups I've mentioned. We played more on the counter against Port, if we do that with West Coast we will rip them apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really need Hewett to have a return to form in this one.
Not a fan of Ed playing, but understand we need some experience and size with the outs.
As long as he doesn't just do the blind bombs over his shoulder out of the middle.
Quick hands to the outside runners please.

With all the inside players out this week surprised caroll didn't get a run suppose Ed for experience and can probably tag one of Kelly or sheed if necessary ..
Outs have at least made it interesting lot of changes over two rounds

This is the worst side we have fielded in several years on paper. Against any other team you would probably pencil in a loss but we should still account for the Eagles. Need Dow and Hewett to step up in the middle and the Eagles not to play above themselves.
The sides we fielded against St Kilda, Essendon, Western Bulldogs. Strong on paper and got pumped. No effort, structure. Given what this side has produced last month. I would take this side over the sides rolled out earlier in the season. Obviously Cripps, Cerra, Martin, Harry losses but we have to move away from preoccupation with talent. The last month we look quick, great footskills, all the attributes we were criticised roundly for, and subsequently have looked like world beaters. This is not because of gun performances but because of a team structure and system working and spreading the load. Should expect the same tomorrow.

The sides we fielded against St Kilda, Essendon, Western Bulldogs. Strong on paper and got pumped. No effort, structure. Given what this side has produced last month. I would take this side over the sides rolled out earlier in the season. Obviously Cripps, Cerra, Martin, Harry losses but we have to move away from preoccupation with talent. The last month we look quick, great footskills, all the attributes we were criticised roundly for, and subsequently have looked like world beaters. This is not because of gun performances but because of a team structure and system working and spreading the load. Should expect the same tomorrow.
It's today 👊🏻👊🏻

Spot on Garters.

To an extent this game should reflect on your point.

Good test for our structures/systems.

Looks like a reserves side.
Hope they know what they’re doing.
“They” don’t have much choice. If we play sore boys today, ther is a significant chance they will miss multiple must win games. With the changes, I don’t see a win as certainty, but I agree with most of the changes and understand the others.
Ultimately we need to show faith in the group as a unit, as opposed to flogging a select few beyond reasonable expectation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F1mOO7RagAIoubq

F1mKjGdacAAEYo0

Wow, how has this flown by everyone else?

Guys...Harry back in 2 more weeks against the Saints!
Didn’t he have an arthroscope? From what Dr Google has told me it’s about 6 weeks recovery time. I’d love to see him back in two weeks but I’m not counting my chickens.

Heading to todays game expecting a win but I don't think it's going to be the training drill the odds suggest. Eagles at $11.50 and a line at 58.5 points seem way off given our changes. Plenty of value for punters there.

One of the reasons we've been so good lately is we have had 22 contributors on the field. I doubt we get that today.

Clerances will be a concern. Shuey, Sheed, Kelly & Gaff aren't exactly plodders. Our midfield looks ordinary assuming Acres, Hollands, Dow & Curnow playing meaningful time in the middle.

Hewett needs to lift. Huge load for Walsh & Doc to carry. Expect the backline will be busy.

Blues by 30.

If Ed Curnow retires at halftime and gets chaired off at the end of the game that would be awesome :thumbsu:

Looks like a reserves side.
Hope they know what they’re doing.
More looks like a reserves forward line to me.

Backline still largely as it has been the last four weeks, with Boyd the only change.

Midfield obviously missing first choice players but Walsh, Hewett, Docherty, Acres are hardly reserves players. E Curnow and Dow are more than handy as your 5th and 6th best mids.

Forward line looks a lot thinner, but if we're as dynamic as the last few weeks we should find enough goals, particularly as i see us holding them to a low score.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t he have an arthroscope? From what Dr Google has told me it’s about 6 weeks recovery time. I’d love to see him back in two weeks but I’m not counting my chickens.

Alot depends on the swelling from the surgery. I believe Dochertys went down particularly quickly which is what allowed him to start running only a few days post op.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back