Preview 2023 Rd 18 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Saturday July 15 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Tom De Koning
OUT: Matthew Kennedy (knee), Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated into the 22

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Jordan BoydMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:David CuninghamHarry McKayJack Martin
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Silvagni
Emergencies:Paddy DowOllie HollandsCaleb Marchbank
Jesse Motlop

The last 3 weeks looked exactly like the Eagles game. Opposition applies zero pressure and we play fast, attacking footy and kick lots of goals.

Fremantle turned in their worst effort of the year. Hawthorn were awful and didn't kick a goal for an entire half. Suns had a historically bad quarter. And the Eagles are arguably the worst side in AFL history. Those are our wins surrounded by convincing losses against finals contending sides.

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the *in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.

Dockers actually applied elite pressure in the 1st half, but we just choked them, a side that has beaten 3 top 8 sides

Analysis by win loss is flawed, but we are a completely different side at the moment

And if we beat Port, the rhetoric will be that they have outs and due for a loss

Rinse and repeat

They both ended their careers as rebounding defenders that played against small forwards. You're sitting here telling me about Matthew Hogg, but did you just tune out the proceeding 24 years?
Final 44 games (2 complete seasons) starting positions for Houlihan and Lappin:

Hoops:
Forward 23
Interchange 12
Back 6
Mid 3

Skinny:
Forward 22
Interchange 9
Mid 8
Back 5

Hollands - 1 game back in the VFL after a lengthy layoff and not even the best player in a fairly one sided game... straight back in as an emergency.
Binns - in the best few players every week and probably best on against Coburg... crickets

While I hate the idea of players debuting as the sub, he should at least be named as a reward for his bloody good season.
Even Dow can crack an emergency spot after not playing at all and coming off a concussion.

What kind of crowd is expected? I only just upgraded my AFL membership to a reserved seat because I just had some plans changed which means I can go instead of watching on TV. I managed to sit in L1 premium which never happens for me unless I get really organised and upgrade as soon as they go on sale. Maybe I've left it late enough that they just released a bunch of extra seats on L1 or is there just going to be a small crowd?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fantastic analysis and goes to show how much better we are with players that are natural forwards and more aggressive

Martin especially is so important to structure and system
Jack's physicality in the Forward 50 has allowed the ball to stay in there rather than exit easily. He's a potential match winner for us.

Hollands - 1 game back in the VFL after a lengthy layoff and not even the best player in a fairly one sided game... straight back in as an emergency.
Binns - in the best few players every week and probably best on against Coburg... crickets

While I hate the idea of players debuting as the sub, he should at least be named as a reward for his bloody good season.
Even Dow can crack an emergency spot after not playing at all and coming off a concussion.
Fair point, Hollands coming back off a decent injury, you would think the more apt & conservative approach would be another game in the 2s.
It’s not like he tore it up.
The Binns story is “they are building him up & he’s not big”- but your splitting hairs on the size difference with Hollands & Binns has been killing it. Doesn’t appear to particularly smart managment.

The last 3 weeks looked exactly like the Eagles game. Opposition applies zero pressure and we play fast, attacking footy and kick lots of goals.

Fremantle turned in their worst effort of the year. Hawthorn were awful and didn't kick a goal for an entire half. Suns had a historically bad quarter. And the Eagles are arguably the worst side in AFL history. Those are our wins surrounded by convincing losses against finals contending sides.

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the *in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.
I concur that there are people getting way ahead of themselves, however I don't like the justification by downplaying the previous performances.

Suns may look down now, however we took their confidence away. Had they beaten us, they would have been top 8. Pressure number by GC was actually very high. They did come to play.
Hawks are not as bad as they look. Yes, they have their poor games, however only 2 games earlier they had easily accounted for Brisbane.
Freo at home in any year are tough, however they had only just easily defeated Essendon at home and again look at their numbers and they still came to play. They had nearly 80 tackles.

We made each of those three teams look as bad as they did.

Put the Eagles aside. I don't find it relatable to the team playing now.

I am not clearing my September schedule yet. However the previous three performances have been of a very high quality and should not be diminished.

I think most of us feel that this week will tell us what we want to know.

Fremantle threw everything at us in the second quarter. They ramped up the pressure big time but we did something, which we've done the last few weeks, that we haven't seen in many, many years. We've held up, ramped up the pressure ourselves and counter-punched with scoreboard pressure.

Granted we've played three sides in the bottom half but technically all three games were over by half time. We are obviously playing a top side tomorrow but there is an air of confidence in the manner we are playing that makes tomorrow a very winnable game.
We need to stop thinking top 4 & bottom 4. About 15 teams should be measured as ranked between 6 to 12. There are no top 4 teams but someone has to make up the numbers.

That's why if you have your full list and time your run, anything is possible. Look at Swans, no injuries last year. Pies & Port have advantage because they can rest players but week off to start finals mitigates that if you get there.

Our wins have been impressive by the manner we have won them. Different to the previous year and early this year when we were relying on individual brilliance. We won but you still felt frustrated afterwards.

The past 3 wins have had chemistry, instinct, selflessness, speed, class and suffocation about them. A true team first, defensive mindset. You felt confident for the first time watching them during the game.

Teams will be taking note on the way we are playing now for sure. Let's see how we respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

respectfully disagree 1000%.

The eagles game was a thrashing but the ball movement was still very different. we still kicked high and long every time ... just that we had far superior talls who made it work because Eagles had no-one to match up with them.

The last 3 weeks we've moved the ball better and particularly going inside F50, we're finding people in space with better leading patterns. It has been less predictable than the "bomb it long to charlie or mckay and hope they mark or give a crumb".

For mine, it actually makes sense for Dow to be the sub. He's had the week's break and the VFL have a bye this week, so if nothing else, he'd be cherry ripe to go into this game.

Ollie looks like he needs a bit more time in the magoo's after his injury, and poor ol' Binnsy still waiting it out. I reckon WCE could be the perfect opportunity to debut him.

Marchy you would imagine has been named emergency in case Gov don't get up.

No Robbie Gray to rip our hearts out - ball is in our court.

:p:thumbsu:

“We’ve maintained that as a message for quite a period of time now, but it certainly has gained a lot of traction in the last little while,” Voss said.
Voss said the form reversal had come from working on the simple things, like contest work and pressure around the ground, that had dropped off.

“We’ve maintained that as a message for quite a period of time now, but it certainly has gained a lot of traction in the last little while,” Voss said.

“There was some simplicity in it. I think when you go through the last little period of time you got to look at what’s really important to your game.”

;)

“We’ve maintained that as a message for quite a period of time now, but it certainly has gained a lot of traction since we've been taking more notice of BigFooty”, Voss said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back