Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN:
Matthew Cottrell
OUT: Ed Curnow, George Hewett

TS-Post-2.jpg

Young and Silvagni v Darcy and Jackson is not appealing. But if we are genuinely about pressure and pace in the middle it shouldn't matter.

We all remember last year's game over there when Pittonet went down and Darcy and his team monstered us. But again, if we genuinely have that extra pressure dimension to us we will get through.

Season is on the line, can't afford to lose these games.

We do have a few out. DeKoning, Pittonet, Dow, Williams, Durdin and Hollands are all players I'd strongly consider for selection who are unavailable.

So who's the sub? I'm guessing Hewett but wanting Cowan. Think we need to see if he's ready to go past Newman. He's a cracking good player, he's improved a lot and has the pace and ability to defend one on one which has become big in the game and big in our team as we move to a new more high risk game plan.

But the team we have in is OK. IMO it's still a little slow to take out the top sides but we aren't playing one. I think we're a good chance. We're a team with a lot to prove. Are Carlton back? We'll find out.

Jackson barely rucked last week and it was revealed he has a hip injury so it’s more likely to be Darcy and Treacey v Young and SOS which is far more manageable.

Hit outs are overrated anyway IMO. Look at our last two wins. We were slaughtered in the ruck hit outs but won the clearances.

The issue will be if/when Darcy and Jackson are both forward as it will mean Young will have to play back where he has been very ordinary this year.

Yep.... Ridiculous.
Ehh, I still don't see what the issue is. The incident was a talking point after the match in the media. The fact that Darcy was focussed on Pitto instead of the ball meant his energy was directed running into Pitto. He obviously didn't intend to injure Pitto, but he did intend to hurt.

So, what's the big deal in the comment? I'm genuinely interested.

Ehh, I still don't see what the issue is. The incident was a talking point after the match in the media. The fact that Darcy was focussed on Pitto instead of the ball meant his energy was directed running into Pitto. He obviously didn't intend to injure Pitto, but he did intend to hurt.

So, what's the big deal in the comment? I'm genuinely interested.
The original comment. Not yours. Pitto has been whinged about for leading knee first. It's what ruckmen do. And they need to look at the guy running at them at some stage to help time their own approach, so in slow motion that looks much worse, obviously. It's gross to suggest he did it intentionally to hurt. Which is what was implied heavily and 'liked'

As mentioned, hitouts as a raw number aren’t worth much… but hitouts to advantage certainly are (provided the midfield isn’t completely overpowered, in which case getting first use won’t result in the same damage).

As much as the last two games can be used an examples of losing the hitouts and still dominating the middle, you’ve only got to look back at games like round 10 against the pies when we got absolutely smacked by Cameron and Cox when Jack was in the middle (and a couple of times with Pitto too). My memory (could be hazy…) is that it was something like 4 or 5 goals in quick succession, predominantly from the centre clearance.

If the midfield battle is fairly even, having the advantage of getting more clean taps, and more 1st use, can make a bit of difference.

Jackson barely rucked last week and it was revealed he has a hip injury so it’s more likely to be Darcy and Treacey v Young and SOS which is far more manageable.

Hit outs are overrated anyway IMO. Look at our last two wins. We were slaughtered in the ruck hit outs but won the clearances.

The issue will be if/when Darcy and Jackson are both forward as it will mean Young will have to play back where he has been very ordinary this year.
Hitouts are only important when you are a one dimensional midfield that can win clearances and rack up possession but can't apply pressure which is the team we have been apart from our last two game. If we bring the sort of tackling and pressure of our last two games it won't matter. If not we will get a repeat of the Fremantle game of last year.

This one is a genuine test to see whether we have actually turned the corner or whether we just beat up on two weak teams. Not that Freo are going that well but they are a bigger challenge over there than playing GCS and Hawthorn at the G.

The other think we have done poorly this season and the last is travel so that will be another hurdle to overcome.

Yeah I am not keen on Young in defence. His awareness, speed and indecision has been really exposed this season. If we modernise our game plan and go up the middle more, we're going to turn it over there more and that means the defenders don't get the protection they normally have from our negative game play. They are going to get caught out in space with their man so guys like Young are more vulnerable.

Either way, if we are a quality side, and we look decent on paper, we should get the win here, it's not like they are super strong, probably a level above GCS and Hawthorn but a solid level below the top 10 sides.

Question: Is O'Keefe THAT far off the pace that he can't be considered as an option whilst TDK and Pitto are injured? That is, SOS and Young are better ruck options than O'Keefe?
Yes. O’Keeffe is showing great signs, but has a long way to go. With Mirkov taking the majority of ruck contests in the twos until recently, and both Pitto and TDK having time there as well, O’Keeffe was only getting cameos, and Lemmey none. O’Keeffe is a December foal, that is, he is still 18, younger than possibly his entire draft class. His first “full” game rucking for us was against the Academy side led by Mitch Edwards, and he lowered his colours, but has come on in leaps and bounds with more opportunity.

He is athletic and combative, so would offer a contest if forced to fill in for the top team. Was pleased to see in the training clip during the week that he was as tall, or taller, than TDK, so has added a centimetres to his draft height. His combative nature may make him an option this time next year, but likely will take longer. He is a great set shot at goal, so will have a path to be integrated when ready.

We have seen the time TDK is taking to mature, we need to be patient. He was a great get in the SSP period after being overlooked in the draft, probably due to his extreme youth for a developing ruck. I am very confident that, in time, he will be a genuine AFL quality ruck. His peak is three or four years away, may be sooner, but likely two years to be “AFL ready”.

Match committee nearly got it right this week. Lack of ruck isn’t ideal but not so bad on a big fast deck.

Four terrible options for sub. I’m assuming it will be Ed because he can seemingly do no wrong.

Question: Is O'Keefe THAT far off the pace that he can't be considered as an option whilst TDK and Pitto are injured? That is, SOS and Young are better ruck options than O'Keefe?
Yeah I think so. O'Keefe is pretty young and raw. In that he does not have a second position. They have really pushed his forward game and haven't got any results there. He's developing as a pure ruckman and probably a bit of a journyman. He may not have the fitness to ruck all day at AFL level and someone like Darcy will push him around although he is a competitor so he will have a crack.

It's been a problem with our list having only two AFL ready rucks but also carrying two rucks who aren't ready yet. We need to pick up an AFL ready ruck and drop one off the list for next season. Lose DeKoning and we're also going to have to find a forward/ruck.

Let's hope what SOS and Young lack as ruckmen they make up around the ground and in their secondary positions.

Was disappointed last week that Young wasn't taking marks around the ground. He's good overhead. I'm wondering if we will play Silvagni back and try Young forward. Would at least take the indecision Young has with spoiling and marking out of his game and SOS is going to be a far more reliable defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match committee nearly got it right this week. Lack of ruck isn’t ideal but not so bad on a big fast deck.

Four terrible options for sub. I’m assuming it will be Ed because he can seemingly do no wrong.
Cowan would be a great option.

He's been terrific. He's a lot stronger and getting a lot more of the ball than the player we had in our side early on. He's come a long way in just a few months.

Love his run and his kicking is long and accurate, competes hard, fast and strong enough to be able to defend one on one and has grown in his footy IQ. Would not be surprised if he replaces Newman by season's end.

I reckon he could play wing as well as half back but we don't know. He could come on and slot into defence and release Docherty.

Motlop could come on and have an impact. Playing on the ball in the VFL so could come in and play there or forward.

But I think you are right. Favourites likely to come in as sub which means slow old Ed or Hewett.

Cowan would be a great option.

He's been terrific. He's a lot stronger and getting a lot more of the ball than the player we had in our side early on. He's come a long way in just a few months.

Love his run and his kicking is long and accurate, competes hard, fast and strong enough to be able to defend one on one and has grown in his footy IQ. Would not be surprised if he replaces Newman by season's end.

I reckon he could play wing as well as half back but we don't know. He could come on and slot into defence and release Docherty.

Motlop could come on and have an impact. Playing on the ball in the VFL so could come in and play there or forward.

But I think you are right. Favourites likely to come in as sub which means slow old Ed or Hewett.
Agree on Cow, love to see him as sub.

Agree on Cow, love to see him as sub.
I'm with you on this but our selection committee are very conservative. Would be really surprised if they did this. I'm not a 2's watcher but if Moo has brought the running and long kicking to his game, that was lacking at the start of the year, then he should be included. Gives us options to use Doc and Saady in different ways.

I'm in two minds.

What's more beneficial to him and the Club, a bit of a game in the 1s or full games in the 2s?
Obviously beating Freo is the important thing. Just think Cow could have a really decent impact in the second half, if called upon.
Of course if he were to not get a run, then of course a full game in the magoos is beneficial.

Yes. O’Keeffe is showing great signs, but has a long way to go. With Mirkov taking the majority of ruck contests in the twos until recently, and both Pitto and TDK having time there as well, O’Keeffe was only getting cameos, and Lemmey none. O’Keeffe is a December foal, that is, he is still 18, younger than possibly his entire draft class. His first “full” game rucking for us was against the Academy side led by Mitch Edwards, and he lowered his colours, but has come on in leaps and bounds with more opportunity.

He is athletic and combative, so would offer a contest if forced to fill in for the top team. Was pleased to see in the training clip during the week that he was as tall, or taller, than TDK, so has added a centimetres to his draft height. His combative nature may make him an option this time next year, but likely will take longer. He is a great set shot at goal, so will have a path to be integrated when ready.

We have seen the time TDK is taking to mature, we need to be patient. He was a great get in the SSP period after being overlooked in the draft, probably due to his extreme youth for a developing ruck. I am very confident that, in time, he will be a genuine AFL quality ruck. His peak is three or four years away, may be sooner, but likely two years to be “AFL ready”.
I'm reminded of Rowan Marshall when I watch him. I think our entire draft haul last year are going to be quality in a few years.

It is quite uncommon for athletes to have siblings participating in the same sport, and even rarer for them to play together on the same team. I have a strong bond with my brothers, and if one of them were to be selected for the same team, whether it be on the field or on the sideline the natural motivation to perform at our best would be pretty organic.

I'm pretty Ed has a tone of weaknesses, but what he brings out of Charlie is unmeasurable imo.

Yes O'Keeffe is a mile off, but desperate times call for desperate measures. However last week against a couple of newbies would have been a better option this week against the man mountain body busting big boy Darcy. O'Keeffe is a competitor and would keep fronting up but totally outmatched and at risk of Darcy doing him a serious injury to boot.

Yes O'Keeffe is a mile off, but desperate times call for desperate measures. However last week against a couple of newbies would have been a better option this week against the man mountain body busting big boy Darcy. O'Keeffe is a competitor and would keep fronting up but totally outmatched and at risk of Darcy doing him a serious injury to boot.
If O'Keefe was twice his current body weight. Then he would be super competitive against Shrek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back