Preview 2023 Rd 18 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Saturday July 15 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Tom De Koning
OUT: Matthew Kennedy (knee), Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated into the 22

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Jordan BoydMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:David CuninghamHarry McKayJack Martin
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Silvagni
Emergencies:Paddy DowOllie HollandsCaleb Marchbank
Jesse Motlop

It becomes even more so because it includes the yardage gained from running out of the square and the kick in after a behind is scored.

Havent seen Oliver, Dawson, Rozee, Warner, Gulden, and Petracca kicking in from a behind much. Every stat has exceptions like a rebounding defender kicking out from a point. The ability to spot the edge cases requires insight which so many people lack.

If I wanted to pull a list of the most useless defenders or rebound defenders... you find they have very low metres gained. SPS is a great case in point and was moved on accordingly.

It's why I knock Young. A KPP defender so dont expect too much on metres gained but one of the worst for standing still on the mark, wasting time, then kicking it sideways. He has close to zero attacking value and aside from the change in our side's mentality is a great reason our defenders are much more attacking. Young vs any benchmark KPD rates way down the bottom on this stat. Ignoring metres gained means you wouldn't even know this about Young. I think the club does and I think the bulldogs knew.

SPP is an interesting case. Deadset near the reason they lost the prelim a few years back, his ball use through the midfield was atrocious. But really has reinvented himself up forward where his aggression, and competitiveness are a real asset. Will be interesting to see who goes to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kane cornes doing his best work on sen this morning. Trying to poor the pressure on saying that nothing but a win would be acceptable with the outs port have ect ect!🙄
Getting in early and deflecting the spotlight off port if we happen to beat them! Playing mind games again!

‘Banged up’ Power 🙄

3 of their players returning are best 22.

#ClickBaitKane

SPP is an interesting case. Deadset near the reason they lost the prelim a few years back, his ball use through the midfield was atrocious. But really has reinvented himself up forward where his aggression, and competitiveness are a real asset. Will be interesting to see who goes to him.

Cue an exasperated Jerry Seinfeld muttering "Newman ".??

Hey baggers fans sorry for the intrude
I have just been given some free medallion club tickets so I have 2 spare tickets on level 1 in the fwd pocket to sell. I bought them for 60 ea and il sell them for 100 if anyone wants them.

Offering them here before I go elsewhere.

Dm me if you are interested.

Thanks

Fantastic analysis and goes to show how much better we are with players that are natural forwards and more aggressive

Martin especially is so important to structure and system

He's playing the hit up medium sized half forward 'connector' role really well at the moment...giving our half backs and mids something to kick to and lately, good things happen and often results in an I50. Good in the air and on the ground, while being hard as nails.

When we were kicking to Motlop and Durdin, it wasn't working.

Love that all 3 of Martin, Fogarty and Cunners are comfortable at stoppages and can rotate into the midfield.

I agree just a coping mechanism for some fans. The Hawks game was the same, they had 80 tackles against us, but apparently they didn’t turn up according to their fans.

Also according to Port fans they belted the Suns last week, even though they were behind at half time, but our win by a bigger margin against the Suns doesn’t count.
I’d like to know which port fan has said that? We belted them for one qtr and played like auskickers for three..

Thought Kennedy was recruited in 2017 and Curnow drafted 2015.
They went after one another. Curnow pick 12 Kennedy pick 13. 2015 draft. Weiters 1, McKay 10, Cunners 23
Schache no 2 Lucky we dodged that one. Francis was 6 and Callum Ah Chee 8 or so. There were a few pit falls high up that draft we luckily navigated our way through. Was a good haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great turnaround in key stats. I rate the Freo win a lot but not the other two games. Port will solidify the belief for me.

Next concern is 'can the Blues maintain that much hard work over a 5-6 period' as they looked out on their feet after the Freo game.

I'm hoping they can sustain it as that will be the blueprint for 2024.

Newman will lock him down like the glove Gary Payton.

Kane Cornes ‘turning up the heat on Carlton’ Pfft. Please, a predictable and obvious journalist trope. Just have to give him credit for delivering his ‘insights’ with a straight face then robbing his employer blind with little, to no effort.

Here’s hoping for a win today. If we get across the line, I am officially declaring this our George Costanza Bizarro World season… the exact opposite season of 2022.

Bring it on blue boys!
We are going to get across the line today. I can feel it spiritually, in my waters.
Today the worm will turn

Kane Cornes ‘turning up the heat on Carlton’ Pfft. Please, a predictable and obvious journalist trope. Just have to give him credit for delivering his ‘insights’ with a straight face then robbing his employer blind with little, to no effort.

His comments seem borderline unethical to me, in that they seem factually incorrect and specifically targeted to put pressure on the opposition of 'his' team.

Even including the players missing this week they have 6 players unavailable due to injury (7 if Lycett missess), and we have 7 (potentially 9 if De Koning/McGovern miss out). So we're arguably just as banged up as they are.

And then, it's still 2nd (on a 13 game winning streak) playing 12th (4 wins out of last 13 games, none against teams in the top 8).

It feels to me like he sees this as a danger game for Port- we're building a bit of form and confidence, at home, weird 4:40 timeslot, and with some counters to Port's strengths (a good contested midfield with older, bigger bodies is a good counter to their young guns, and we have a height advantage at both ends of the ground).

The game should probably be something like 70/30 Port's way, IMO, maybe 60/40 if Lycett misses and McGovern plays, and I'm pretty excited about that (what a chance to reboot our season!).

I dunno - Cornes will argue he is just playing his role but this doesn't feel like good faith media to me. In all seriousness, I suspect this is more normal in Adelaide (two team town) than Melbourne so probably just grates on us for that reason.

His comments seem borderline unethical to me, in that they seem factually incorrect and specifically targeted to put pressure on the opposition of 'his' team.

Even including the players missing this week they have 6 players unavailable due to injury (7 if Lycett missess), and we have 7 (potentially 9 if De Koning/McGovern miss out). So we're arguably just as banged up as they are.

And then, it's still 2nd (on a 13 game winning streak) playing 12th (4 wins out of last 13 games, none against teams in the top 8).

It feels to me like he sees this as a danger game for Port- we're building a bit of form and confidence, at home, weird 4:40 timeslot, and with some counters to Port's strengths (a good contested midfield with older, bigger bodies is a good counter to their young guns, and we have a height advantage at both ends of the ground).

The game should probably be something like 70/30 Port's way, IMO, maybe 60/40 if Lycett misses and McGovern plays, and I'm pretty excited about that (what a chance to reboot our season!).

I dunno - Cornes will argue he is just playing his role but this doesn't feel like good faith media to me. In all seriousness, I suspect this is more normal in Adelaide (two team town) than Melbourne so probably just grates on us for that reason.

I haven’t heard any of Cornes this week, but if you were a neutral is what he says just to talk up a 2nd vs 13th game?

As a supporter it might grate but I don’t understand the notion of ‘good faith’ media in sports reporting.

It’s not the front line in crimea.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is lycett a chance to miss? Do they have someone in the emergencies that could replace?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back