Preview 2023 Rd 19 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday July 22 2:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

*EDIT - UPDATE:

IN: Lachie Cowan, Ed Curnow, Ollie Hollands, Josh Honey
OUT: Jordan Boyd (suspension), Adam Cerra (hamstring), Patrick Cripps (cork), Harry McKay (knee), Jack Martin (calf tightness.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshOliver HollandsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyJosh HoneyJesse Motlop
Forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew CottrellLachie CowanEd Curnow
Paddy Dow
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsZac FisherCaleb Marchbank
Lewis Young

Last edited:

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-WCE.png

In round 16, on Sunday July 2nd, the unthinkable almost happened.

The Weagles, at home in Perth, at Optus Stadium, lead the St Kilda Saints until early in the fourth quarter. Thankfully for Saints fans, their lads lifted and snatched an eight point win.

In that game, the early dominance of the Eagles was due to a few of the old guard - Shannon Hurn had 30 disposals, Alex Witherden 29, Shuey 28 and Sheed 25.

For round 17, WCE travelled to the Gabba and were demolished by the lions to the tune of 81 points. Duggan had 33, Witherden 27, Kelly 26… Hurn didn't play.

Yesterday, I wasted over two hours of my life watching the WCE play the Tigers in Perth – what a terrible spectacle – from both sides.

Hurn returned, ditto Shuey and SPS. Gaff omitted but won a last minute reprieve….

On paper the lineup looks OK. Jeremy McGovern is back.

Aside from a 2 goal burst just before HT (in the last 90 seconds) and a 3 or 4 goal spurt after the HT break by RFC, the Eagles held their own with Richmond, who played poorly.

1689544971556.png
Key takeouts:

• Ginbey did a hammy, will be out for a few.
  • Oscar Allen, badly injured his shoulder (?) early in the game, it looked bad. But he came back on and finished with three goals…might miss next week?
  • The old WCE guard, and sure many have had injury ravaged seasons – but they looked miles off the pace – Duggan, Shuey, Cripps, Sheed, Gaff, even J. McGovern – shadows of their former selves.
  • Bailey Williams goes ok in the ruck.
  • SPS was SPS, but quite prominent. Tim Kelly was solid. Barrass ok, Darling....meh.
  • I’d like to snaffle Elijah Hewett in a year or so once he’s had a gutful of losing.
Nonetheless the reality remains that the Eagles have only won one game all year, months ago, and their percentage is a paltry 48.2% (prior to the tigers match).

Their once vaunted back line and midfield are dust. Not sure where Yeo is at?

And as we all know they are five goal worse side when they travel to Melbourne.....

Without being overly arrogant, it really should be a question of how much the Blues. I guess 80++

Go Blues.

Last edited:
Hesitant to omit players after a win like that, especially with WC as our next opponent but more a watch and see

Kemp needs to narrow the extremities from sublime to ordinary. Needs to continue to focus on defensive acts first and foremost, spoil rather than thinking he can intercept at will. Marchbank could replace him unless he narrows that gap

Dow did some really solid, hard nosed work, but disposal still a concern, along with selling teammates into trouble. Needs to release to a wider option

But, I would leave both in the 23 for next week

Harry being injured throws up interesting options. Young most likely to come in as that 2nd KPF, chopout ruck.

Or, could Lemmey debut against a bottom of the table side?

Then there is O'Keeffe, who I think is a brilliant competitor

If it was me, O'Keeffe in for Harry

And no, Boyd won't be omitted

Out Harry, In O'Keeffe ( most likely it will be Young)

Hesitant to omit players after a win like that, especially with WC as our next opponent but more a watch and see

Kemp needs to narrow the extremities from sublime to ordinary. Needs to continue to focus on defensive acts first and foremost, spoil rather than thinking he can intercept at will. Marchbank could replace him unless he narrows that gap

Dow did some really solid, hard nosed work, but disposal still a concern, along with selling teammates into trouble. Needs to release to a wider option

Harry being injured throws up interesting options. Young most likely to come in as that 2nd KPF, chopout ruck.

Boyd will probably go, free against and ended up concussed, probably get 2 weeks or life.

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cowan for Boyd is a no brainer and after last week’s performance I think Young deserves first crack as Harry’s replacement. And this also allows Jsos to spend more time forward where he looked great tonight.

Hopefully Boyd only gets a week and Harry dodges the worst case scenario.

Boyd will 100% go for that tackle. Not a huge issue as he was one of our lesser performers. Cowan in for him.

Presuming McKay misses I'd bring in Young to play forward / 2nd ruck or Pitto with Tom to go forward.

No other changes

Mots holds his spot even if Owies is fit. Could swap Dow for Hewett as the starter. They were pretty even so tough call. As pointed out Kemp needs to improve his consistency to continue holding out Marchbank and Young.

Young is an ordinary kick for goal, wouldn't mind seeing what HOK or Lemmey have got as ruck/fwds.
Boyd won't be omitted but he may be suspended for the tackle on Bird Jones that resulted in him being concussed (it was Boyd wasn't it?)

Pitto in for H and TDK to spend most of the game forward (not my preference but suspect that’s what the MC will do).

Binns in for Boyd (Doc to spend more time back) to give a debut during an “easy” game

Dow to get a full games because we are playing the Eagles

Genuinely time to rest some players, the final five games will be gruelling, give them some time to recooperate.

OUT: McGovern (rest), Boyd (susp/rest), Saad (rest), Acres (rest), McKay (inj)
IN: Marchbank, Cowan, Hollands, Binns

Drop Docherty into defence, ideally sub Cripps out in the last quarter. O'Brien or Acres as sub.

Genuinely time to rest some players, the final five games will be gruelling, give them some time to recooperate.

Drop Docherty into defence, ideally sub Cripps out in the last quarter. O'Brien or Acres as sub.

If thats our attitude we deserve to miss the 8. We are 10th. Have no right to rest anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In - Pittonet/Young, Cowan, Marchbank*
Out - McKay (inj), Boyd (susp), Saad*

Motlop holds out Owies
If Pitto isn't available then Young can come in to play forward/second ruck and JSOS can play permanent key forward in Harry's absence
Boyd will get a week for the tackle
George and Dow can swap for the sub vest/starting spot if required.

If Saad is sore, then give him the week off. We will have a big run home now with a genuine sniff of sneaking into the finals.
We also have Binns available for a debut if someone else pulls up sore.

LOB? Not a hope

Really don't understand resting players when continuity is crucial to build confidence

Gov, Acres, Saad will play next week.

McKay out is a given, only way Boyd misses is suspension, but will be back when available

Doc won't be in the back 7 anytime soon

If thats our attitude we deserve to miss the 8. We are 10th. Have no right to rest anyone.

Think we should be aiming for a middle ground between these two poles - no need to flog McGov and Saad into the ground with Marchbank and Cowan waiting in the wings

Out - Harry and maybe Boyd susp.

In: Lemmey and Binns. Give the lads a taste to drive there development.

Anyone else remotely sore has replacements ready in Cowan, Marchy , carrol etc.

I love Kemp but agree he needs to be reigned in a bit.
His attack on the ball and specifically his closing speed in a contest are massive ticks, but he loses his feet too often and takes the dangerous option a little too often. I think he deserves some leeway as this is a relatively new role for him, and the point of difference he has as a KPD means we need to put up with the occasional error.

LOB? Not a hope

Really don't understand resting players when continuity is crucial to build confidence

Gov, Acres, Saad will play next week.

McKay out is a given, only way Boyd misses is suspension, but will be back when available

Doc won't be in the back 7 anytime soon
I more LOB , Fisher or Ed - thanks for everything :) bye bye 👋

No changes for the sake of it. This form is a month old. We have to continue to perfect it and imprint it on the brain. Playing with personnel while on this finals tightrope is too big a risk.

Pittonet or O'Keeffe in for Harry.

Cowan for Boyd, although the lack of comparative leg speed hurts a little. Hopefully Boyd only gets a week but I'm thinking 2.

I think we could bring in Young and play Kemp forward for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back