Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

Chin is up, just how I see these two.

I don't think they'll be on the list long term. We'll see. I definitely don't rate Cottrell like some on here.

Cottrell admittedly has lasted longer than I thought he would but will always be on the verge of being dropped at best. No real weapons and his ordinary games are bad games (like alot of our fringe players)

Cincotta, early days has been ok, but still think he'd be doing well to still be on the list in 3 years time

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tend to agree, but my point was we already have some rookies that made the A list...so for now they are those diamonds

I think players like Cincotta and Cottrell are important. These kind of players , no frills, not high draft picks, just work horse types... that's how you build a decent team. Our bottom 6 needs to be better.

There's a saying in teaching, that a principal is only as good as their worst teacher. Applies to our footy team.

I have nothing against Cottrell or anyone else who wears a CFC jumper, but they should be made to earn their spot, especially when they are not in our best 22 and an automatic selection. This is the biggest problem we have - selection integrity. When the club decides to have our players work hard for their place in the team, that's when we will move forward. I hope we win tomorrow because we all need it, but I'm not convinced that such a win would carry us far, until some cultural changes are implemented. Hope I'm wrong.

We can’t play at Marvel stadium. Ground is too small and congested for us. Feel like we lose to the Bulldogs this weekend then beat Collingwood at the MCG next week.
'Zat you Dimma?

We have been better at Marvel then the MCG of late. Not sure of the no.'s but I'm pretty confident of that.

Correct. Since the start of last season we are 7 from 10 at marvel (70%) vs 5 from 11 at the MCG (45%).

We have lost our last 2 at marvel too. Before that were 7 from our last 8 there.

You’ll probably find that the opposition we play at Marvel is worse than the opposition we play at the MCG.

Teams we play at Marvel: StK, North, interstate teams

Teams we play at the G: Coll, Geel, Melb, Rich

If you’ve actually been going to watch us play in person, you should be able to see our complete inability to get the ball through the opposition zone at Marvel vs MCG.

You’ll probably find that the opposition we play at Marvel is worse than the opposition we play at the MCG.

If you’ve actually been going to watch us play in person, you should be able to see our complete inability to get the ball through the opposition zone at Marvel vs MCG.
I was just going to ask the question to the previous poster about this as I also thought about diff in the quality of the teams we play against at each venue.
:thumbsu:

I have nothing against Cottrell or anyone else who wears a CFC jumper, but they should be made to earn their spot, especially when they are not in our best 22 and an automatic selection. This is the biggest problem we have - selection integrity. When the club decides to have our players work hard for their place in the team, that's when we will move forward. I hope we win tomorrow because we all need it, but I'm not convinced that such a win would carry us far, until some cultural changes are implemented. Hope I'm wrong.
I agree but there could also be non negotiable’s in place like, setting up in the correct position, effort and defensive efforts/pressure. For all we know Cottrell may have shown these thing while others haven’t. We also don’t know what is going on at training. Holland and Cowan were picked in round one off the back of one average proper practice match and what we seen at training.

Someone like Cottrell is never going to bang the door down because he is an average role playing footballer but what he brings to the side (run, effort) he may have already shown.

Last edited:

Interesting, I have never put that together, great context. I never typically look forward to the Marvel games as much as the MCG ones... Makes more sense now

I like Cottrell, hard worker, runs all day. I just hope there isn't a bit of rust in his game since missing a lot of footy. The fan base is pretty riled up at the moment and I fear he will cop it if he has an avg first game back.
Fish getting 32 last week is promising, hopefully another big game today, and will be banging the door down next week.

Blues by 9 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but there could also be non negotiable’s in place like, setting up in the correct position, effort and defensive efforts/pressure. For all we know Cottrell may have shown these thing while others haven’t. We also don’t know what is going on at training. Holland and Cowan were picked in round one off the back of one average proper practice match and what we seen at training.

Someone like Cottrell is never going to bang the door down because he is an average role playing footballer but what he brings to the side (run, effort) he may have already shown.

MC is likely the best runner at the Club.

He's just 23yo, and with (only) 37 games to his name.

Every year he's played, he's improved considerably. No reason to suggest that trajectory of improvement won't continue.

He runs (hard both ways), he tackles, he kicks straight.

He's hard at it and has a bit of mongrel in him.

A few of our higher paid 'top end' players could learn a fair bit from him.

We can’t play at Marvel stadium. Ground is too small and congested for us. Feel like we lose to the Bulldogs this weekend then beat Collingwood at the MCG next week.
When we miss targets with poor kicking, get beaten at centre bounces like last week, I don’t think the ground has anything to do with it BFC.

If we can rectify these two areas of our game we’ll go a long way to getting a win tonight.

MC is likely the best runner at the Club.

He's just 23yo, and with (only) 37 games to his name.

Every year he's played, he's improved considerably. No reason to suggest that trajectory of improvement won't continue.

He runs (hard both ways), he tackles, he kicks straight.

He's hard at it and has a bit of mongrel in him.

A few of our higher paid 'top end' players could learn a fair bit from him.

When I went to training in late November (before he did his foot), Cottrell was very impressive in the midfield drills. Hard to know whether he was just joining in as a winger, or whether a role change was being considered. He burst away from the stoppage set-up very well a few times.

There was presumably some reason for bulking him up by the 5kg in the off-season. Has he lost that extra weight? Be interesting to see how they use him.

Back from purgatory, after the frustration of last week :).

What a crappy week it’s been.

The media feeding on us, knowing there is huge following, ensuring engagement & consumption of their generally cheap shots.

Some truth to it all of course - hoping our coaching group are already considering these opportunities & others.

Our team on paper “looks” strong - but we cant depend on a minimum level of performance - obviously capable of high highs & low lows. Of late seeing more of one than the other.

Todays game - where to start…

We look stronger with Owies & Cotters back on board - both very honest contributors where others haven’t been.

Honesty is the key - bloody hard intent to the ball at all costs, from honesty comes trust.

Trust in the bloke next to you doing his job, trust there will be someone running forward - rather than sitting back waiting for the dump kick for safety.

Trust in a winning game plan rather than defensive.

Trust in defence has been added over the off season, something we needed - but we haven’t learned how to balance defence/attack.

Hoping today we trust our attack more.

If they don’t trust our scoring ability - we will be picked apart slowly.

If they do, we might come closer to fulfilling our potential.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back