Preview 2023 Rd 18 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Saturday July 15 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Tom De Koning
OUT: Matthew Kennedy (knee), Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated into the 22

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Jordan BoydMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:David CuninghamHarry McKayJack Martin
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Silvagni
Emergencies:Paddy DowOllie HollandsCaleb Marchbank
Jesse Motlop

Fantastic analysis and goes to show how much better we are with players that are natural forwards and more aggressive

Martin especially is so important to structure and system
Absolutely spot on. The running, positioning and small individual acts of all three across the ground have had a huge influence, not necessarily reflected in their disposal count.

And yep, Martin has been phenomenal. His running patterns, persistence & repeat efforts just superb. (In fact, I’ve been highlighting this exact thing to Mr BR13 to help improve his own game 🙂).

Fair point, Hollands coming back off a decent injury, you would think the more apt & conservative approach would be another game in the 2s.
It’s not like he tore it up.
The Binns story is “they are building him up & he’s not big”- but your splitting hairs on the size difference with Hollands & Binns has been killing it. Doesn’t appear to particularly smart managment.
Assuming these are accurate, there's effectively no difference in terms of size. A 9 month age gap is the only real separator. Given that Hollands debuted 4 months ago, Binns is only 5 months younger than Hollands' debut age.

EDIT: Sorry HarryFlashman pic was missing. Not sure what happened there, but height and weight effectively the same.

1689321872364.png

Last edited:
Not sure who is creating the so called ‘hype’ around us.

At this stage we’ve beaten teams below us albeit in great fashion but until we knock over a legit top 8 team the jury is out and so it should be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Freo, GC were technically above us at the bounce of the ball.

I have tipped Port even with their outs. Although I do think it brings us back a little bit and we should be competitive.

Now I have not seen too much of Port this year but from what I have seen, Ports speed and movement of the ball on a smaller ground may just be too much for us. Their movement from half back has always troubled us and I am not sure if we are ready for the upgrade we will face, compared to the last 3 weeks where our opposition was poor in the same regard.

They should be able to get the ball in their forward 50 quickly and often enough to produce shots on goal. They don't need any stars up forward to kick bags of goals too (watch them find some randoms to give us trouble).

On the other hand, what if the way we have played against poor teams the last 3 weeks actually produces a similar result against Port, and we have indeed turned the corner into a legit team? Is this the start of IT HAPPENING??

No. Not this week I am afraid. Port by 21.

A random Port player from the 90's:

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I have tipped Port even with their outs. Although I do think it brings us back a little bit and we should be competitive.

Now I have not seen too much of Port this year but from what I have seen, Ports speed and movement of the ball on a smaller ground may just be too much for us. Their movement from half back has always troubled us and I am not sure if we are ready for the upgrade we will face, compared to the last 3 weeks where our opposition was poor in the same regard.

They should be able to get the ball in their forward 50 quickly and often enough to produce shots on goal. They don't need any stars up forward to kick bags of goals too (watch them find some randoms to give us trouble).

On the other hand, what if the way we have played against poor teams the last 3 weeks actually produces a similar result against Port, and we have indeed turned the corner into a legit team? Is this the start of IT HAPPENING??

No. Not this week I am afraid. Port by 21.

A random Port player from the 90's:

hqdefault.jpg
If we hammer Port. Lids off. Bulldogs 2016 vibes all about it

Voss said the form reversal had come from working on the simple things, like contest work and pressure around the ground, that had dropped off.

“We’ve maintained that as a message for quite a period of time now, but it certainly has gained a lot of traction in the last little while,” Voss said.

“There was some simplicity in it. I think when you go through the last little period of time you got to look at what’s really important to your game.”

;)
:D:roflv1:
Yeah, cos Voss is gonna say he got it wrong, overthought things and came out ultra-defensive. He also wouldn't accept he had defence playing an old style game when challenged repeatedly by David King.

Amazingly though, we now have our rebound game out of defence going, and some dare down the corridor.
We are back to playing exciting footy.

Call it tweaking or whatever you like. But now everything that was missing and off has been corrected.
Good on him though for overcoming a wrong turn.

Last edited:
:D:roflv1:
Yeah, cos Voss is gonna say he got it wrong, overthought things and came out ultra defensive. He also woudn't accept he had defence playing an old style game when challenged repeatedly by David King.

Amazingly though, we now have our rebound game out of defence going, and some dare down the corridor.
We are back to playing exciting footy.

Call it tweaking or whatever you like. But now everything that was missing and off has been corrected.
Good on him though for overcoming a wrong turn.
Press conferences have never been the most reliable sources of any information.

The last 3 weeks looked exactly like the Eagles game. Opposition applies zero pressure and we play fast, attacking footy and kick lots of goals.

Fremantle turned in their worst effort of the year. Hawthorn were awful and didn't kick a goal for an entire half. Suns had a historically bad quarter. And the Eagles are arguably the worst side in AFL history. Those are our wins surrounded by convincing losses against finals contending sides.

If we pump Port this weekend I'll be driving the *in bandwagon right into September.. but I think we need we need to temper expectations until we win an actual contest.
Freo’s pressure in Q1 was over 200 for most of it and we smashed them. It was the most convincing display we have put on in a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo’s pressure in Q1 was over 200 for most of it and we smashed them. It was the most convincing display we have put on in a long time.

I agree just a coping mechanism for some fans. The Hawks game was the same, they had 80 tackles against us, but apparently they didn’t turn up according to their fans.

Also according to Port fans they belted the Suns last week, even though they were behind at half time, but our win by a bigger margin against the Suns doesn’t count.

Not sure who is creating the so called ‘hype’ around us.

At this stage we’ve beaten teams below us albeit in great fashion but until we knock over a legit top 8 team the jury is out and so it should be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sure, but two of those teams were above us on the ladder before we beat them.

20+ years of emotional abuse. Hurt. Pain. So many chances given. So much hope. So many promises that never eventuated.

But we remain committed, balacing cautious optimism with self preservation. Such is the life of a Carlton supporter.
Just be happy that you aren't a Saints supporter :tearsofjoy: The Bulldogs had to wait 62 years for their second premiership, Swans had a 70+year drought and even Richmond had to wait 37 years, our lot isn't too bad in comparison to others, as painful as it has been.

Last edited:
Commentators mentioned this at the time. They showed the pressure rating numbers and both sides were in the elite territory. It was visually obvious too.

We maintained the pressure for longer and they eventually caved in. It was a very good win away from home.

I agree just a coping mechanism for some fans. The Hawks game was the same, they had 80 tackles against us, but apparently they didn’t turn up according to their fans.

Or as the arrogant Hawk fan I know said - "You jumped us but we beat you in the 2nd half"

I think it was 2nd half - Carlton 9.3 to hawthorn 7.5

Kane cornes doing his best work on sen this morning. Trying to poor the pressure on saying that nothing but a win would be acceptable with the outs port have ect ect!🙄
Getting in early and deflecting the spotlight off port if we happen to beat them! Playing mind games again!

Or as the arrogant Hawk fan I know said - "You jumped us but we beat you in the 2nd half"

I think it was 2nd half - Carlton 9.3 to hawthorn 7.5
Can’t remember clearly now but was it the hawks game where they applied a bit of pressure in the 3rd …which we absorbed fairly comfortably?

I don’t think it ever looked like they were going to make a decent comeback? We were well in control most of the game I think.

Case in point was Ryan's game last week.

Most of his kicks were long balls to a contest many of which we ended up winning.

I think they need a different weighting to measure kicking efficiency, if your objective is to kick it wide and long to a contest to get it out of your defensive zone, it doesnt feel right to assign that a ranking the same as a 40 metre bullet to a team mate.
Tracking how quickly the ball across the surface of the ground with each disposal is how you can track that. Need some way of tagging the ball for a measurement system.
Win or lose doesn’t chnage that they can rest whoever they want the week after.

Then there’s a block of 5 games. Any amateur (let alone pro) would know you can do a 6 week block without overloading.

To my eyes they’re doing a much better job and credit to them.
They are doing better, but I would recommend for continuity that they do it in stages wherever possible. Boyd was my suggestion this week.
Lord for Dixon - not the change you want to be making, but ensures Finlayson and Marshall play forward the entire game, and alongside SPP that pressures Marchbank or McGovern in combination with a rampant midfield big problem for Port, Dixon, even if not in stellar form, scares defenders....Lord is a twig. Ditto Marshall.
Burgoyne for Burton - rewarding form and a distribution upgrade off half-back, Burton may not be the most physical defender, but Jase is still a rake of a kid Ridiculous to say this is an upgrade. Burton, with McKenzie, is one of their main ball movers out of D50. Putting an 11 gamer in for a 130 gamer....
Jonas for McKenzie - like for like defensive upgrade Major, major downgrade. Find me a Port supporter who agrees with your assessment here and I'll send $65k your way. McKenzie is their man defensively (With Aliir).
Duursma* for Rioli - athletically not like for like, but both opportunists who can surprise aerially Duursma hasn't played since round 7, injured constantly. At his best a terrific player, right now....hmmm. kicked 3 goals this season. Not a like for like. Rioli has kicked 16 goals in 12 games.
Mead for Horne-Francis - it's a downgrade, but will play a similar contested style in a mid-forward split Massive downgrade, JHF is more often than not Port's spark...Mead only 5 games this year....averaged 8 disposals a game....
Lycett for Hayes - like for like ruck upgrade Yes, but Lycett hasn't played any footy in a month, knee injury, and was all but not ready for this week.
Lord is there to create a mismatch and do ruck work, he's an afterthought within their structre and may even get subbed out in the final quarter.

Burgoyne's ball distribution is elite, subject to his endurance levels, that's why he's in.

Jonas vs McKenzie is more of a toss-up than you're suggesting, and they obviously have a job in mind for him, plus he is a very smart operator.

I already said Duursma is not like for like, but it was a forced change. He could be the JHF swap and Mead the Rioli replacement really, which is something I alluded to at the end.

Lycett will be taking advantage of TDK's situation, and that we won't be aiming to create high-leaping ruck contests.
Nah, was primarily used as a defensive forward in 09/10 ('11 was a write-off) with the odd game in the middle. Played on the oppo's best defender most weeks and was in AA form in the position in 2010 before injuries hit. Did jobs on Enright, Wirrpanda, Dempsey, Gilbee and destroyed Sam Fisher multiple times. Your original quote and point that I called you out on was that he "finished his career as a small defender". You've already contradicted yourself there by now claiming he played most of his last seasons in the midfield, which is also incorrect.

Also see your tactic of changing the subject to try and win the argument by closing it down when your weird logic gets challenged. You do it a lot on here.
I'm operating on about 20 hours sleep over the last 4 nights, and was working off the cuff previously, so apologies. I am a little bit off here recalling information from 15 years ago...

Houlihan finished mostly as a defensive forward, but one that assumed much of the work load of a winger that pushed into stoppages, and that's reflected in his stats, where he averaged 2 clearances a game in the role and about 19 disposals, with about 40% of his possessions being contested. It's kind of like calling Walsh a high half-forward when he starts off the edge of the centre square.

So to get it historically correct, Houihan went forward, running defender, mid, defensive forward, but I'm not sure how that undermines my point about his defensive ability given how prolific he was in multiple phases of the game when playing most of these roles, including at the end.

Lappin did switch back to the forward late in his career, but again he also had stints on the wing, showing off his larger skillset and defensive read and talent.

Now their gamestyles might not match the playing into contact and straight-line attitude of Matthew Hogg, but that was never the point.

I also find it intensely ironic that you accuse me of strawmanning when you're running off on a tangent from the spirit of the original post, which was that across the last 25 years, we've had better small defenders than Matthew Hogg, including an all-Australian small defender that is currently in the team.

Did you notice the other poster has repeatedly ignored commenting on why they don't see fit to praise or mention Adam Saad? Do you care at all about what that implies both for how they choose to attack my posts, and how that reflects on their own behaviour in a respectful, multicultural society?

Last chance to actually focus on the intent of the commentary instead of thinking I'm trying to pass myself off as all-knowing. This is a behaviour I received repeatedly on a previous forum, and it was largely unwarranted, born of literally dozens of disgruntled posters who refused to engage in worthwhile discussion as they tied their football team's performance too much with their mental health, ego, and general well-being.

It was also during a period of my life where I was physically exhausted, eventually leading to me being diagnosed with a chronic pain condition that will leave me potentially struggling with disability for life.

But sure, this is all a fantastic investment of your time as you search for truth and justice from amateur commentators on the internet, you champion of the people you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back