Preview 2023 Rd 18 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Saturday July 15 4:35PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Tom De Koning
OUT: Matthew Kennedy (knee), Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated into the 22

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Jordan BoydMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:David CuninghamHarry McKayJack Martin
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Silvagni
Emergencies:Paddy DowOllie HollandsCaleb Marchbank
Jesse Motlop

His comments seem borderline unethical to me, in that they seem factually incorrect and specifically targeted to put pressure on the opposition of 'his' team.

Even including the players missing this week they have 6 players unavailable due to injury (7 if Lycett missess), and we have 7 (potentially 9 if De Koning/McGovern miss out). So we're arguably just as banged up as they are.

And then, it's still 2nd (on a 13 game winning streak) playing 12th (4 wins out of last 13 games, none against teams in the top 8).

It feels to me like he sees this as a danger game for Port- we're building a bit of form and confidence, at home, weird 4:40 timeslot, and with some counters to Port's strengths (a good contested midfield with older, bigger bodies is a good counter to their young guns, and we have a height advantage at both ends of the ground).

The game should probably be something like 70/30 Port's way, IMO, maybe 60/40 if Lycett misses and McGovern plays, and I'm pretty excited about that (what a chance to reboot our season!).

I dunno - Cornes will argue he is just playing his role but this doesn't feel like good faith media to me. In all seriousness, I suspect this is more normal in Adelaide (two team town) than Melbourne so probably just grates on us for that reason.

Unethical behaviour … from a bloke employed by Craig Hutchison ?
It’ll probably earn him a pay rise 🤣
Here’s Hutchy training up a new guy during the week …

IMG_1124.jpeg

Watched Port's 3rd qtr. vs. Gold Coast last night, and a bit of the 4th.

1. Port are not in good form, Gold Coast simply were woeful (that Lukosious guy (sp?) was dropping marks my 6yo daughter wouldn't). King had already been subbed off after being even worse...
2. Dixon was the guy who got them going, even if off one leg. Rucked and roved - reckon he had 10 or more disposals, he was great.

Finlayson a player, and a threat. Marshall, meh.....

Their strength is the mids - the brilliance of Rozee and Butters, backed by the grunt of Wines/Boak.

Yet, even against a pretty drab GC midfield (Touk back but hampered seemingly), Rozee only had 28, Butters 22. They were pretty quiet overall (one sublime Rozee goal) - contrast to the running power of Walsh (now back to his best thankfully) and the smarts of Cerra. Anyway, this is where things will be determined. Reckon GH might get a run with role....

Down back they're short, almost bizarrely short.

Jonas will get Charlie presumably, that prospect would terrify Port fans (and Aliir on Harry, also a huge mismatch).

Keep it largely away from Aliir is a good idea but that said, Levi had the better of AA, got in front often and hard to move....kicked 4, should have kicked 7.

And not sure who takes Martin or who has the smarts to keep him quiet. Darcy Jones?

Last edited:

Rnds 8-13RankRnds 14-17Rank
Goals per inside 50 %14.618th29.01st
Inside-50s50.313th56.38th
Marks inside 5010.015th15.3=4th
Points56.217th110.01st
Scores per inside 50 %38.717th50.32nd
Set shot scoring accuracy %47.418th72.73rd
Shot at goal accuracy %33.818th53.33rd
Shots at goal21.7=15th30.73rd

Coming down and expecting a close tussle. Coming off a six day break and the Perth trip.
Still with our tails now up, we are going to be hard to stop.
Obviously their changes are helpful, as I think a Power at full strength may have been a bridge to far.
Expecting Harry and Charlie to do well, complemented by our crafty inclusions. Namely Martin, Cunners and Fog.
Looking forward to seeing the new Carlton today, playing with freedom and confidence.
Cunners best on, with 3 goals and 25 disp's.
Blues by 28 points.

Coming down and expecting a close tussle. Coming off a six day break and the Perth trip.
Still with our tails now up, we are going to be hard to stop.
Obviously their changes are helpful, as I think a Power at full strength may have been a bridge to far.
Expecting Harry and Charlie to do well, complemented by our crafty inclusions. Namely Martin, Cunners and Fog.
Looking forward to seeing the new Carlton today, playing with freedom and confidence.
Cunners best on, with 3 goals and 25 disp's.
Blues by 28 points.

Yeap, 6 day break from WA is a concern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play four quarters and if we’re able to run the game out reckon we win comfortably … not underestimating Port just think we’ve clicked and the players seem to know what’s required …

6 day break is my only concern to be honest , we looked like we were spent last week , could be a bit flat … don’t want to admit it but Cornes is right .. we don’t beat port today with those outs and our season on the line at home … I’m going to the game and seen many loses this year .. come on baggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back