Preview 2023 Rd 23 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday August 19 2:10PM @ Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Harry McKay
OUT: Lachie Fogarty (soreness), Ed Curnow

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaCaleb MarchbankAdam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Jack MartinTom De KoningDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Harry McKay
Emergencies:Jordan BoydEd CurnowJosh Honey
Jack Silvagni

I think being a forward rotating into the midfield is his role. Anything outside that I think he would quickly find himself back in the VFL.

I agree about the footy IQ but his key skill to the team is tackling and pressure. There is nothing wrong with that and Richmond won a fair few premierships off players like that. Not the most skilled but insane pressure that gave opposition no chance to create chains of movement out their forward line.

Also due to injuries his ability to kick longer than 40m is really limited.
He fits into a now properly balanced working team system, as you mentioned it’s what made Richmond so good with all players fitting in by playing their roles…

He has limitations in leg speed and kicking distance as well as not being a high goal scorer but it’s his other strengths that come to the fore like many other players games that have now benefited in the same manner….

I watched the replay last night and was even more impressed with his entire game, it’s by far the best game he has played for us, it’s amazing that he had struggled with the back injury and looked like being moved on until 6 weeks ago now he is playing with a level of pressure and intensity that you love seeing in any player, hopefully the bad back problems are behind him…

On another note TDK got his hands to a ridiculous amount of marking opportunities, I’d say 15 which at least 12 should have been taken…
Once he starts grabbing most of them, look out…

Even though he's for the oppo I'm so happy for Connor Budarick.

He was a rookie draft pick (but was in the Suns academy, so they knew him) in the same year they got Rowell & Anderson. He played in the starting 22 right away and very quickly became a favourite of mine. While everyone was (rightly) excited about Rowell & Anderson Budders was my favourite - as I'd tell my wife every time he got the ball or made a great tackle/defensive effort.

Since then he's done 2 ACLs. He's back now after the 2nd and I'm just so hopeful for him to get through this game, the next and have a solid off-season. Obviously, we know Doc has done 2 ACLs (among other things) so I'm really hopeful he can have a similar return.

Interestingly, he's always been a half back/defensive wing in his career so seeing him lined up on HFF is odd. He hasn't been playing there in the 2s and has never played there at AFL level as far as I can recall. In any case, I wish him all the best.
who is your Carlton fave Coops?

Great news - Chol very up & down.

Has power, burst and is athletic - weiters or Kemp to him ?

Interesting to see how we match up now.
Despite his size he's not really any aerial threat, he's very much a ground level player. Kemp would be my choice.

I think being a forward rotating into the midfield is his role. Anything outside that I think he would quickly find himself back in the VFL.

I agree about the footy IQ but his key skill to the team is tackling and pressure. There is nothing wrong with that and Richmond won a fair few premierships off players like that. Not the most skilled but insane pressure that gave opposition no chance to create chains of movement out their forward line.

Also due to injuries his ability to kick longer than 40m is really limited.
Reckon I noticed much to my surprise that Fog actually kicked it close to 50 metres last Sat, at least on one occasion. Had him pegged as a bloke who tried really hard, yet could not kick beyond 35. He has finally gotten himself super fit and totally over his ankle issues. Hopefully he is back for the giants, he has won me over big time.

I would actually have our current setup and ruck equal or even slightly in trougble against Suns at the moment....our form just has been better and seeminly sustainable..
Miller would be one of the fittest mids in the comp !....Rowell is almost as strong as Cripps!.....anderson can accumulate huge numbers of effective possessions if allowed..Witts would be in the top 5 rucks in the comp..

Our wings and HB work has been effective as well as the mids,it has not all been our mids...the Suns will be getting a lot of ball forward literally from the first bounce...however how it plays out will be where its at..We would love a Walsh in there this weekend,pick and spread that footy and or Cerra would be nice....i just hope DOW will role his sleeeves up for every moment,will or should be a fierce game this one
Miller would be up there for sure and would be my pick for best 2 way mid in the comp. Rowell is strong but smaller than Cripps, though a bit quicker. Though Rowell has gone head to head with Oliver in the past so despite being smaller he's insanely hard at the contest and Cripps won't worry him in the slightest. He might only get 17 disposals, but 13 of them will be contested with 8 clearances along with 13 tackles. His statlines are incredibly unique and don't completely show his impact.

Anderson is the x-factor and game breaker. He can go from inside to outside with the best of them and if given space he's an elite kick. Under presser he can be prone to shanks but if he gets the ball and runs with space he's a real threat. Wouldn't be surprsied if Hewett runs with a little bit.

The issue the Suns have though is the depth of the mid. That starting set is arguably as good as any in the comp but as soon as the rotation players come in it falls away drastically, whereas Carlton the last ~10 weeks it hasn't really mattered who has gone through the middle as everyone keeps up the role, so we should cover them in the head to head over the course of a game fairly comfortably if that form continues.

who is your Carlton fave Coops?
Is it too obvious to say Curnow? He reminds me of Fev in the way the crowd builds in anticipation when he's the target of the kick or even in the general area of the ball. A goal could come from anywhere, and often does.

Though when Doc does something good it probably hits me in the warm and fuzzys more than anyone given what he's gone through. Not sure I'm happier for any player than him when things go his way.

Reckon I noticed much to my surprise that Fog actually kicked it close to 50 metres last Sat, at least on one occasion. Had him pegged as a bloke who tried really hard, yet could not kick beyond 35. He has finally gotten himself super fit and totally over his ankle issues. Hopefully he is back for the giants, he has won me over big time.
if he has been dealing with ongoing back injuries, it makes sense he couldn't empower his kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres could easily play through the middle (was involved in many centre bounce drills during preseason), but his end to end running and body strength is a weapon as a starting wingman
Rapidly becoming one of my favourite players. Staggering to think we got him for a packet of chips. The bloke's a gun.

Finals start early for us.

Gold Coast and the Giants are both playing to make the finals, so have to eliminate them both

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
GC are two games plus 16% behind the dogs who are 8th and play west coast this week. They have no chance of making it and after we get finished with them they’ll be glad about this … lol

Rapidly becoming one of my favourite players. Staggering to think we got him for a packet of chips. The bloke's a gun.
that mark flying into the pack with 2.45 to go in the second quarter received nowhere near the amount of plaudits it deserved - so courageous..........

Play Duffy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what more does this bloke have to do to get a game? the stubborn attitude of voss and his cronies tell me we are being led by morons and gooberheads.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back