Preview 2023 Rd 14 Carlton vs Gold Coast Sunday June 18 1:10PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

The Dow thing is clearly Voss backing himself into a corner whereby if Dow plays and looks good Voss looks like a fool for writing him off. This situation alone demands the dismissal of Voss.
I hope that we can get back to winning soon so that people stop this obsession with fringe players. There are some really strange theories surfacing.

Im more concerned with the clear hypocrisy from the club. Make questionnable decisions all the time and strange theories start to surface. Stock standard.
Well, it's hard to determine whether something is questionable when you don't have any idea what determines the decisions. We are all looking on from the outside hypothesising.

And Gab with all due respect please dont use tackling as an excuse I think we laid 5 tackles in a quarter last week. Ed Curnow himself tagging didn't manage one.

Wasn't making excuses for anything, just speculating on reasons, I have as little idea as you do why people are selected over others.

Wasn't making excuses for anything, just speculating on reasons, I have as little idea as you do why people are selected over others.

Correct, so we can only go the traditional method re form in the reserves. And when the coach promotes Kerr and Fogarty on the back of 'strong VFL form' yet refuses to play Dow or tell us why when he's literally smashed the VFL then the decisions are clearly questionable and lack credibility.

Correct, so we can only go the traditional method re form in the reserves. And when the coach promotes Kerr and Fogarty on the back of 'strong VFL form' yet refuses to play Dow or tell us why when he's literally smashed the VFL then the decisions are clearly questionable and lack credibility.
I'm sure that Dow knows exactly why he is being selected or overlooked when it happens and I'm sure that he is clear on what areas he needs to improve on. I'd prefer that the coaching panel not telegraph the reason to the entire AFL world including supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure that Dow knows exactly why he is being selected or overlooked when it happens and I'm sure that he is clear on what areas he needs to improve on. I'd prefer that the coaching panel not telegraph the reason to the entire AFL world including supporters.

Given what I heard from Stocker, I'd be surprised if Dow has any idea at all about why he isn't playing.

Given what I heard from Stocker, I'd be surprised if Dow has any idea at all about why he isn't playing.
I'd be shocked to think that has changed since last year when I heard from the mouth of a parent of a player on the fringes that the communication with players was excellent. They said that it was the exact opposite of what was happening under Teague.

As far as I understand it players are clearly told which areas of their game they need to improve in to gain selection. Simply elevating the levels of the things they already do well doesn't necessarily lead to selection. We may think that someone's killing it in the reserves but they still may not improve in the areas that they need to.

It's not always as simple as we like to make it out to be.

Nathan-Williamson2.jpg
Umpire Bouffant.

I'd be shocked to think that has changed since last year when I heard from the mouth of a parent of a player on the fringes that the communication with players was excellent. They said that it was the exact opposite of what was happening under Teague.

As far as I understand it players are clearly told which areas of their game they need to improve in to gain selection. Simply elevating the levels of the things they already do well doesn't necessarily lead to selection. We may think that someone's killing it in the reserves but they still may not improve in the areas that they need to.

It's not always as simple as we like to make it out to be.

Re communication, one person's opinion just like Stocker. Of course the club is playing favourites your comment highlights that clearly. Just because one player is getting clear messaging, doesn't mean everyone is. Given our current circumstances and results, I'd lend to inconsistent messages, because we are obviously underperforming. These is something very very wrong at our club. Even the experts point to a disjointed non-existent gameplan. So how can the message be getting across clearly?

Re communication, one person's opinion just like Stocker. Of course the club is playing favourites your comment highlights that clearly. Just because one player is getting clear messaging, doesn't mean everyone is. Given our current circumstances and results, I'd lend to inconsistent messages, because we are obviously underperforming. These is something very very wrong at our club. Even the experts point to a disjointed non-existent gameplan. So how can the message be getting across clearly?
I think that whatever is wrong at the club runs a lot deeper than the game plan or the players, yes they are all part of it but not even the biggest part of it IMO.

As is the treatment of Young.

Regardless of whether you like him overall, for him to be dropped, brought back for 2 games, then scapegoated again is just a horrible.way to treat a KP defender. As if he could have done anything more to stop Wright last week when Essendon's midfielders were strolling through our midfield like it was Bourk St mall in the third quarter.
Disagree.
He should have been dropped for that horrendous dropping the ball right in front of goal in the 4th last week.
The tackler got him round the waist, he had both arms free and Boyd about a metre away, and he still couldn't hold his ground enough to handball.
Is was such a lack of strength and determination and grit I couldn't believe my eyes.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree.
He should have been dropped for that horrendous dropping the ball right in front of goal in the 4th last week.
The tackler got him round the waist, he had both arms free and Boyd about a metre away, and he still couldn't hold his ground enough to handball.
Is was such a lack of strength and determination and grit I couldn't believe my eyes.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we drop fringe players for making mistakes?

Again, all that will do is kill their confidence.

We can disagree on whether Young can play AFL at the moment - you may think he has issues with strength, positioning, whatever. I am not arguing that.

I just don't think it is helpful to yoyo guys in and out of the team on a whim.

To put it another way, if Young plays forward/ruck in the VFL, has an ordinary game, then gets recalled in a week because we get an injury, what then? How is he going to confidently step out against Hawthorn knowing he is one mistake off getting dropped for a third time?

I hope that we can get back to winning soon so that people stop this obsession with fringe players. There are some really strange theories surfacing.

I fully agree that there would be no obsession with these players if we were winning matches. Nobody was calling for Dow when we were winning 8 out of our first 10 last year.

But we are not winning, in fact we're awful, and the real issue with these fringe players now is that we don't know whether what was a fringe player two years ago is still one unless we give them a go.

It may well be that Dow, like Nick Graham, is too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL but Graham at least had 32 games in his last 3 seasons to prove himself and, yes, I know we have more talent now but Dow has had 2.75 games in the last 35 in a team that has won 8 games out of it's last 25, hardly given a chance.

And how's this for one of your theories....I'm starting to think that we're playing him as sub now to keep him from further embarrassing the M/C with his VFL performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back