Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

Paddy sub…
Voss presser post game:
"Well, we made him sub.
Unfortunately there was no opportunity for him to come on."
( Voss giggles for a full minute.)

I'm a sucker for punishment, on the train
disney princess work GIF by Disney Pixar

Because he played poorly and cost us goals on multiple weeks…

Our coaching staff are far too concerned with the limitations of players and not their strengths

Might be a hot take but perhaps if we kicked 15 goals each week instead of 7, we could afford to back in a promising young defender who has only played 50 games if they make a mistake or two (or we could back in a young ballwinner who struggles defensively, or back Cripps to go forward and kick goals, or back Saad to run and create... or... etcm.)

Voss presser post game:
"Well, we made him sub.
Unfortunately there was no opportunity for him to come on."
( Voss giggles for a full minute.)

Apologies to Matt Damon, we ran out of time.

Link now fixed ...

Carlton fringe midfielder Paddy Dow is expected to be named as the Blues’ substitute for Friday night’s clash against Melbourne.
Dow, 23, was named as an emergency for the mist-win game but is expected to be named as the sub one hour before the bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our coaching staff are far too concerned with the limitations of players and not their strengths

Might be a hot take but perhaps if we kicked 15 goals each week instead of 7, we could afford to back in a promising young defender who has only played 50 games if they make a mistake or two (or we could back in a young ballwinner who struggles defensively, or back Cripps to go forward and kick goals, or back Saad to run and create... or... etcm.)

Last edited:
Vossy to have a last minute change of heart and give Ed the sub vest.

"We felt his experience was necessary coming into such a significant game.

And I hate Paddy Dow so much."

Wondering if there's an out as I heard yesterday Fog got the tap on the shoulder to be Sub. Hoping not and that Dow just earnt it and Fog missed out

Never said we had amazing development (although seems to have improved ie: drafting youngsters & actually playing them in their actual position). Nor do I necessarily think we did/didn't do Dow dirty with his development as I'm not privy to the inner workings of the club.
Was responding to a comment.
Dow for his position (ie: Per Voss & others at the club's next man up mantra) is behind others. Simple. Noted he can't play a secondary position. We're (as you said above) already playing mids out of position why add another that can't play a secondary position? If Cezz got done at the tribunal, Dow plays. If Kennedy/Cripps wasn't playing, Dow plays. Sucks for the young bloke but it's the reality in our midfield at the moment. They're never gonna drop the Captain regardless of form & he's behind Kennedy/Hewett & Cezz. (all without even mentioning Walsh having to play HHF/Mid/Wing mix). Personally I wouldn't have even brought LOB in this week & pushed Walshy to the wing swapping in/out with Cezz but hey.. that's me.
Hewetts been out multiple times, Dow didnt come in.

Kennedys been out, Dow didn't come in.

Unless the suggestion is all of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett out, then Dow comes in?

While we are on it, the narrative of all 3 -> cripps, kennedy, hewett cant play together is rubbish as well.

They did it last year and we performed.

Kennedy played at half back, so out of position is a bug question to ask, and directly on Voss. Makes no sense

Cripps doesnt go forward this year is another.

Hewett playing when clearly not right, another.

Lets use the Setterfield example from last year. When played in position as centre square mid, did very well -> collingwood and Melbourne games.

Flailed in his role on a wing in previous games, because he is not a winger.

So back Dow, its clear the midfield isnt functioning. Try something different with Dow in the centre square mix, cant make us any worse...

Selecting Dow as a sub, will validate the clubs self fulfilling prophesy of he is not up to it. Let alone the scrutiny each possession he has in the few minutes he will get his chance. Just watch...

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Hewetts been out multiple times, Dow didnt come in.

Kennedys been out, Dow didn't come in.

Unless the suggestion is all of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett out, then Dow comes in?

While we are on it, the narrative of all 3 -> cripps, kennedy, hewett cant play together is rubbish as well.

They did it last year and we performed.

Kennedy played at half back, so out of position is a bug question to ask, and directly on Voss. Makes no sense

Cripps doesnt go forward this year is another.

Hewett playing when clearly not right, another.

Lets use the Setterfield example from last year. When played in position as centre square mid, did very well -> collingwood and Melbourne games.

Flailed in his role on a wing in previous games, because he is not a winger.

So back Dow, its clear the midfield isnt functioning. Try something different with Dow in the centre square mix, cant make us any worse...

Selecting Dow as a sub, will validate the clubs self fulfilling prophesy of he is not up to it. Let alone the scrutiny each possession he has in the few minutes he will get his chance. Just watch...

So "Cripps /Kennedy/Hewett all together is rubbish" - even though "they played together last year and 'we performed'.."

I'm liking the logic here.

That's not new. He's always gone the conservative route with experience and the guys he knows more than youth and something different, even dating back to his Brisbane days it was his m.o.

I'm disappointed it hasn't changed.
And the young talent wanted out of Brissie as a result.

Including Docherty....

One of the reasons they had to move Voss on

Paddy Dow as the sub.
No I’m okay I can stay on.
d5970289ca4ed20e4a8db1a9f683b227.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the young talent wanted out of Brissie as a result.

Including Docherty....

One of the reasons they had to move Voss on

Hollands/Cowan/Cincotta/Motlop/Durdin/Kemp/Honey

all being played by Voss - kinda makes your statement ...a tad questionable.

Silvagni/Ed Curnow/Fisher/LoB all previous starting players - all dropped by Voss as well as Young...

I think players are being given opportunity - and plenty of it.

a bit of fairness taking into account facts as demonstrated by actual team sheets - might be warranted dont you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back