Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
I think we saw signs of a shift in momentum in the last fortnight.

McKay - revamped his kicking technique (drop punts)
Voss - trialling faster ball movement in spurts
Selections - seen some movement and creativity here

Momentum is always hardest to start. Hope this is a good sign of things to come. Of course, while momentum is slow it can easily be stopped - a loss tonight or an ugly win against a club suffering heavy injuries would just about seal it.
Yep.
For me, (if we win tonight) again the test will be seeing how far we’ve come regarding testing ourselves against Melbourne next week.
I feel we just need to get that one big scalp.
We don’t want it to be like the west coast senario a few weeks back where the win gave us hope but then was taken away quick smart the week after

Totally agree. We badly need a win (understatement of the year).

To me it seems Voss is not able to inspire the playing group. After the media flogging we've received over last month or so you'd expect players to come out and run through brick walls. What more motivation did they need ?

The first 2Qs of last weeks game was unforgivable really when you think about it. Specially seeing how they played much better (at least in effort) in the second half. Begs the question why didnt they start the game with the same intensity as they showed in the second half? Against arch enemy and in front of a massive crowd. However, our boys seem to go the other way and not show up.
Funny you say that, last year the players said on multiple occasions just listening to him speak made them want to run through brick walls. Maybe he needs to show them some of his highlights.:D

I love Ed and what he has done for the club in his time at the blues but not sure he commands a place in the 23 every week, I guess his place is there for the taking if someone can get in front of him.

Match committee says NO

versus staying GIF

Funny you say that, last year the players said on multiple occasions just listening to him speak made them want to run through brick walls. Maybe he needs to show them some of his highlights.:D
This my theory on that, and is why Brisbane got a sugar hit as well early before fading.

That motivation fires everyone up but after a little while that motivating factor wanes. There's only so many times you can get inspired by a fella before you need the Xs and Os to back it up. The motivating factor can still come in hits and spurts - big pre game speech before big games or 3qtr time to get us over the line - but it doesn't work as a coaches main tool every week.

You might consider letting the Dow thinking go - the Club decided about him before the season ended - last year ...I have no axe to grind on Dow in saying this - it is just a fact who knows why ?- I don't and you don't - no one seems to know why...but looking to criticise Voss because 'Dow' like a lot on here is frankly speaking - laughable. Looking to criticise Hewett ( people have given up on bagging Kennedy) and some even wanting to get rid of Cripps and Walsh I read on here...I mean who exactly is your audience - do you really want to go there...eh?

Voss is putting it on every player he can - to be better - some may not be up to being as good as genuine top4 sides opponents are- well no surprises there - at least teh coach has a clue- maybe - just maybe Voss is dragging the CLub to higher standards - whilst carrying teh burden of a botched rebuild?

Ever thought of that?

maybe just maybe ( and teh stats back this up) execution - in particular whole of field defensive effectiveness and basic kicking deficiency is just not finals quality. -- that is on teh players not any coach.
If Voss and others want to madly hammer at the same myopic view, they can and should expect some hammering in return.

Voss can spin the whole thing as positively as he likes, but if you want to draw such massive lines with a good quality list, you're not fooling most people for very long.
It's 5m shorter than the MCG haha. It's always felt much smaller but it actually isn't that small.

It looks worse on TV due to the camera angle.
It's also 5m narrower as of last year, but it's been getting adjusted since 2007 to be more uniform.

There are 6 stadiums in use today that are narrower, but all of them are at least 5m longer, some 10-12.

This my theory on that, and is why Brisbane got a sugar hit as well early before fading.

That motivation fires everyone up but after a little while that motivating factor wanes. There's only so many times you can get inspired by a fella before you need the Xs and Os to back it up. The motivating factor can still come in hits and spurts - big pre game speech before big games or 3qtr time to get us over the line - but it doesn't work as a coaches main tool every week.
I think a game plan that is a bit more exciting than ours is maybe what they need. Being defensive is fine but if we can’t find a way to play some creative attacking footy as well at times it will be too difficult to maintain adequate motivation to be competitive most weeks.

I know it’s professional but it is still only a game. It’s supposed to be enjoyable too.

Plenty of others on this list…

Motlop - witches hat. doesn’t kick goals, often out of position, can’t lay a tackle, way too small
Weitering - abysmal in 2023
Boyd - barely AFL level
Hollands - runs all day without any impact, can’t kick
Cottrell - done nothing since returning

I would have included Kennedy and Hewett.. but we do have someone who could come in for both.. we just refuse to pick him.

Motlop - one of our most promising, second season, give him time
Weitering - also poor 2022
Boyd - looks a gun in the making, first game back from foot injury
Hollands - plenty of impact, nice kick good technique, looks a great pickup
Cottrell - definitely gave us something on his return

Last edited:
I think a game plan that is a bit more exciting than ours is maybe what they need. Being defensive is fine but if we can’t find a way to play some creative attacking footy as well at times it will be too difficult to maintain adequate motivation to be competitive most weeks.

I know it’s professional but it is still only a game. It’s supposed to be enjoyable too.
Amd maybe not acting like petulant children over Dow because he "wouldn't leave" as an itk suggested, might also be worth considering? Even if he leaves at years end, why wouldn't you try to extract some value from him, when our team amd coach are in such a slump? To me it's just a shake head- that is so dumb type situation .
I ask again, where is it set in stone than Dow HAS to be an inside mid? Could we not consider inside/ outside forward type rotations?
It was better for us when Crippa was allowed to play forward as well.
I know I 'm just a blue horse. But crikey! Use the talent we have at hand for THIS year. (Please!)

And ps.
Camonnn Vossy.
Let's win. Starting tonite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Voss and others want to madly hammer at the same myopic view, they can and should expect some hammering in return.

Voss can spin the whole thing as positively as he likes, but if you want to draw such massive lines with a good quality list, you're not fooling most people for very long.

It's also 5m narrower as of last year, but it's been getting adjusted since 2007 to be more uniform.

There are 6 stadiums in use today that are narrower, but all of them are at least 5m longer, some 10-12.
Can anyone tell me another professional sport in the universe that has different size playing fields?

It's funny isn't it.
In any other relationship, you'd (hopefully)speak up when things aren't going well. Because you care!!!
We aren't sycophantic fans who will adore no matter what.
We are invested supporters, and plenty of us long term at that.

Can anyone tell me another professional sport in the universe that has different size playing fields?
I like how different grounds have different properties that teams need to adjust to (but all within reasonable parameters). Feels like a small antidote to the mass-produced cookie-cutter approach that seems to be permeating society more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back