Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

One year as above average for his career, every other would be average or below. There's a reason he's been shifted back and it's not because he was playing so well on ball.

He definitely shouldn't be back though whoever thought that was a good idea needs a spell. He's got to be on ball.
Kennedy was shifted back because Voss has poor judgement.

Despite having less opportunities, he's been better than Hewett and Ed, but given less opportunities.

Even more bizarre - he's barely been played forward.

Will be at the MCG.
Will be at my Mt Buller Condo stables. With a delicious selection of oat cheeses with mulled mollasesberry gluwein.
Oh, wait...
I need to phone my Dees loving, polo pony friend to make that happen.

Will be at my Mt Buller Condo stables. With a delicious selection of oat cheeses with mulled mollasesberry gluwein.
Oh, wait...
I need to phone my Dees loving, polo pony friend to make that happen.

I will be sharing a cheese platter with my Dees mate in the MCC :laughv1:

a263e7a31ec6902ce30d863ccf18f41fdd938147

No room for Dow?

Collingwood - 4 inside mids + the two daicos.
Bulldogs - 5+ inside mids.... They have room for Treloar on top of them all too.
etc etc
Carlton - Cripps, Kennedy (who isn't even playing 'inside') and before this round Hewett. That is it. All other clubs use their Cerra and walsh types as first receivers away from the contest. Their Docherty types off half back and then rotate the extra contested mids through.

Think the main 'issue' for Dow is - yeah - he doesn't fit because we don't rotate. Just look at other clubs though, contested midfield is a brutal spot, they need to rotate in game. Pretty much every other club has that figured out...
By inside mids I’m referring to more one dimensional type inside midfielders. Libba and Mitchel types from Collingwood and the Bulldogs.
For the Dogs I’d say Bont is as balanced as there is. I don’t know who else you are counting but players like Smith and Macrae are as equally good out on a wing.
Collingwood maybe Adam’s is one dimensional but guys like Crisp and Pendles have always had more of a link up game then any of Cripps, Dow, Hewett or Kennedy.

We should at least try and take advantage of no Oliver for Melbourne (least early) and if we still struggle to score after about 15 mins, then throw Cripps forward, although his set shot kicking at goal leaves a lot to be desired.
So what you're saying is that if we're struggling to score after about 15 minutes, we should throw Cripps forward to miss goals 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By inside mids I’m referring to more one dimensional type inside midfielders. Libba and Mitchel types from Collingwood and the Bulldogs.
For the Dogs I’d say Bont is as balanced as there is. I don’t know who else you are counting but players like Smith and Macrae are as equally good out on a wing.
Collingwood maybe Adam’s is one dimensional but guys like Crisp and Pendles have always had more of a link up game then any of Cripps, Dow, Hewett or Kennedy.
Disagree wholeheartedly especially on the pies players. Kennedy plays link up footy with any one them - except Bont and pendles who are just all time greats. Bont spends so much time rotating forward he's BECOME a good all round mid. He was 'just' a ball follower to start. It allows them to stay so fresh in the middle with libba being their Cripps MacRae their Walsh and both being able to rest after crashing in for cream Bont to come in. Keeps the engine far better oiled.

Pies are the same with Mitchell Adams etc.

We don't even rotate Kennedy through. We are Cripps or bust. Wouldn't be surprised if we analysed the fade out games last season we'd find the on ball brigade attending too high a number of contests not resting enough and getting beaten up by the end of the game without good fresh rotations.

He did bring it on himself by wanting to stay.

Had every right to be looking for a move but didn't pursue it.

He knew this is what had been happening and could keep happening.

Obviously he accepted that scenario.
I think he was fine with moving but didn't want a pay cut. His contract was why no one wanted him.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't have the balls in the coaching box to do it.

We should at least try and take advantage of no Oliver for Melbourne (least early) and if we still struggle to score after about 15 mins, then throw Cripps forward, although his set shot kicking at goal leaves a lot to be desired.

Elmer_Judd - too conservative - start him forward and then put him in the guts - either to compound an advantage if we're winning the ball or wrestle stoppages back on our terms if we're not.

Disagree wholeheartedly especially on the pies players. Kennedy plays link up footy with any one them - except Bont and pendles who are just all time greats. Bont spends so much time rotating forward he's BECOME a good all round mid. He was 'just' a ball follower to start. It allows them to stay so fresh in the middle with libba being their Cripps MacRae their Walsh and both being able to rest after crashing in for cream Bont to come in. Keeps the engine far better oiled.

Pies are the same with Mitchell Adams etc.

We don't even rotate Kennedy through. We are Cripps or bust. Wouldn't be surprised if we analysed the fade out games last season we'd find the on ball brigade attending too high a number of contests not resting enough and getting beaten up by the end of the game without good fresh rotations.
What I’m saying is which three mids in those sides are as one dimensional as 3 of Dow, Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy? Kennedy is the most versatile of those three and he can’t play back as we have seen and is a slow forward who would struggle to fit in the forward line if we are playing JSOS or TDK down there as ruck forwards.

I will be sharing a cheese platter with my Dees mate in the MCC :laughv1:

a263e7a31ec6902ce30d863ccf18f41fdd938147
I think that bucket hat is inside out!
Decorum, please Dees people!
Get the fashion police onto her Aph!
:eek:

It improved last year (kicked 20.9) - but the key for Cripps is pushing himself forward from the stoppage and therefore making a smaller player defend him - a matchup he can take advantage of. When he starts a centre bounce in the f50 it doesn't work because he can get in the way of other forwards and gets into wrestling matches too often.

Needs to play forward differently then coz at the mo he's not dangerous: either in the stoppage or pushing forward from it.

It improved last year (kicked 20.9) - but the key for Cripps is pushing himself forward from the stoppage and therefore making a smaller player defend him - a matchup he can take advantage of. When he starts a centre bounce in the f50 it doesn't work because he can get in the way of other forwards and gets into wrestling matches too often.
I agree, it did. Early he was good with 3 & 3 from memory.

13.11 in 2021
7.11 in 2020
13.6 in 2019

Either way he just isn't a goalkicking midfielder.

I'd love him to add that weapon to his game but with us needing him in the midfield and him not converting it doesn't bode well for him going forward.

PERSONALLY, I'd try it though, swapping him with Kennedy. What could go wrong ;-)

Reckon we will win tomorrow just quietly.
The Dees have been struggling themselves and have no Clarry (who normally destroys us) plus their forward line is not exactly going great guns.

Selection politics and controversies aside, I feel pretty damn bullish about our chances.

CMON BAGGERS :carlton:
Don’t do it to yourself

Good call.
It’s suicide playing Silvagni in the ruck.
Can’t believe they’d even be considering it against Gawn and Grundy … or anyone really …

I almost fell over when Voss said TDk will be “well supported” by Jack in the ruck. I can only hope he was foxing. IMO Young must back up TDk in the rucks. If SOS rucks we’ll get slaughtered like we did against the Pies. I actually would mind seeing SOS go behind the ball and Gov going forward.

I’m not big on bashing Voss’ game plan nor his non selection of Dow but some of the positional stuff has been truly baffling and really makes me question his coaching capabilities. SOS in the ruck should have been shelved forever after the Pies game. Same goes for Kennedy at half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back