Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Carlton-vs-Goldcoast.png

Game Preview

What: Carton Vs Gold Coast

When: Sunday, June 18 1:10pm

Where: MCG

Historical Significance

With Carlton again losing this last round ourbeloved Blues face a tough ask against an in form Suns coming off of the bye to avoid an ignominous place in the AFL's history books. Defeat to Gold Coast will hand this team the shated record for most consecutive losses following a 100-point win.

We would join Brisbane who lost 7 consecutive games after defeating Sydney (219 to 57) in round 8 of the1993 season.

Last Time They Met

Round 4, 2022: Gold Coast 13.14.92 defeated Carlton 8.14.62

Carlton kicked two goals in the first minute or so of the game, lost Patrick Cripps to injury shortly thereafter and without Pittonet Witts had a field day in the ruck. The game was a no contest with the final score doing a very good job of flattering the Blues who could have lost by 8 to 10 goals.

Brownlow Votes: 3- N Anderson (GC) 2 - L Weller (GC) 1 - Z Williams (CA)

Season Summary

Gold Coast

Had you told the Suns at the start of the year that they'd be 6-6 at the bye coming off convincing wins against the Dogs and Crows with Touk Miller (knee, TBC) on the sidelines they would have taken it. The two wins in Darwin have allowed them to set up the second half of the year nicely.

Carlton

I don't think there's a Carlton fan who thought that we could possibly be this bad at this point if the year given we were undefeated when Sam Walsh rejoined the team after spinal surgery.

There is not one part of the club that hasn't been questioned or out under the pump and sadly although some of the answers are obvious I think we're in a state of deep confusion.

Players to Watch Out For

Gold Coast

Bailey Humphrey – the Suns can rest assured that they know what they'll get out of Anderson and Rowell most weeks. They are their two given A graders who have qualities for the modern game. However, the player with spunk and X factor written all over him is Humphrey. His improving outside game meshes perfectly with his strong inside and contested marking game displaying power and impact not often seen in first year players. When the Suns are prepared to go deep into finals and snatch a flag I suspect it'll be Bailey who breaks a grand final apart and wins a Norm Smith.
Jack Lukosius – Luko is finally having the breakout season that many believed that he was capable of. He's very much looking like a complete forward these days and is second behind King with 23 goals. He is such a natural footballer ith beautiful kicking ability.

Nick Holman ,-- more than a good ordinary footballer is Nick. His 19 tackles inside forward fifty ranks him first in the team and among the top half dozen or so in the comp on a per game and total basis. He has become a spiritual barometer of the Suns with the high tackle numbers representative of his forward pressure and why they love him.

Carlton

Jaxon Binns - I'm going to go early on this one. If not now then when? With our season in tatters it's time to blood the future of the club and Binns's form in the VFL has been deserving of his senior breakthrough for a little while now

Cripps and Walsh – it's time for the two leaders of this football club to come together and help this team avoid their place in history. Cripps has seen every coach since and including Malthouse. Voss is already Walsh's third coach. Lads, we need our leaders to stand up on Sunday and begin turning our fortunes around. You can do it by uniting the team and leading from the front. Please.

Tom De Koning – TDK copped an absolute belting last time he came up against the Suns. If he wants to earn a number one ruck role with us or elsewhere next season and the contract that comes along with it then this is a big test for him. Let's see the growth that he believes that he had had in his game. If he can then it'll go some way to turning the game in our advantage.

What Carlton Need to do to Win

We must nullify the impact of Witts in the ruck. The Suns are an entirely different beast when he's performing. Anderson got the three votes the last time we played and it was largely becaue of Witts dominance in the ruck. He pens the game up for Noah and their other key inside mids in a similar way that Cripps was the beneficiary of Pittonet's outstanding tap work last year.

By extension we need to be able to win the contests when Witts is resting .For this reason I don't see Silvagni retaining his place in the team. We have the potential to undo some of the advantage Witts gives them by beating their secondary ruck options.

Second to limiting Witts, the Suns have a number of layers to their gameplan. Against us Dew will he demanding that they keep it simple. That means running and chasing, moving the ball on quickly and taking advantage of their exuberance and speed against our slower players. We need to stop their run. It's been out Achilles heel all year with nightmares against the Crows coming immediately to mind.

Dew has the Suns playing team oriented 4 quarter football. However, at times they can be slow starters (2.4 to 6.1 in their game against the Crows). Coming off of the bye this past week the Suns may be vulnerable early We need to attack them early and to prevent them from working their way into the contest.

Play to the strengths of our team in the MCG. I am a believer that ground familiarity can play a role in who wins AFL games. That bodes well for Carlton's chances. This js the Suns first game at the MCG since round 7 last year when they played Collingwood. In 2021 it was the same story, one MCG game (same round and opponent). They didn't play there in Covid impacted 2020 and played Collingwood again at the MCG back in round 20 of 2019. For Anderson it's his forth game in his 4 year career at the MCG and Rowell's third. For those newer to the team it is likely even less.

Who Will Win

This is a huge occasion for the Gold Coast Suns. I know they are hungry for greater opportunities to play at the MCG. They're also hungry to break through for finals for the first time in club history. This type of opportunity has been few and far between for them

Yet there are significant factors working to our advantage. We're not without a shot. Unfortunately for the Suns they've got a history of shitting the bed almost every time they look like something promising is coming their way. Our boys will be hungry to avoid history.

I believe that we will know if we're a chance in the first half of Q1. If we enter the game with the right mindset we're capable of knocking the Suns off and leaving them questioning whether they're good enough to make finals.

Unfortunately, I think their advantage in the ruck and their determined ball movement and hard, enthusiastic, running will ultimately help them prevail. Even with the anticipated ruck advantage, it may not be the Anderson's and Rowell's that prove the difference (stats aside) but their X factor laden talents like Humphrey that offer the points of difference that we cannot overcome.

Suns by 17 points (8.11.59 to 11.10.76)

Brownlow Predictor: 3. N Anderson (will get Witts votes sgain) 2. C. Curnow 1. J Lukosius

Note: I wrote most of this on Thursday and Friday evening and will edit appropriately.

Note: Don't ask me for my ins and outs. What I would do does not match what Voss and the selections committee have done all year. I'm puzzled why they don't see some of the potential fixes as they're pretty straightforward.

Last edited:

Binns, Cuningham, Dow, Cowan and maybe even Fogarty should play.

Pittonet and Hewett will be available.

Make a list of those who should be starting earlier next week. I suspect Cottrell, Young, Silvagni, Kennedy etc might be on the list.

You would never ever drop Cripps but it might be a good idea to manage him particularly with the bye to follow.

I don't get why Weitering doesn't play on the most dangerous forward. Weideman is a spud and was never going to hurt us. Youngs problem is confidence, once he was dropped earlier on in the season his confidence was shot. Levi might make a mess of him next week if Young were to play.

Out: De Koning, Young, E Curnow, Martin, Cottrell, Motlop, Cripps
In: Pittonet, Cuningham, Binns, Dow, Marchbank, Cowan, Fogarty

B: Cincotta Weitering Kemp
HB: Docherty Marchbank Saad
C: Binns Kennedy Acres
HF: Walsh C Curnow Cuningham
F: Owies McKay Silvagni
Foll: Pittonet Cerra Dow

Int: Boyd McGovern Cowan Fogarty

Sub: Cripps

Binns, Cuningham, Dow, Cowan and maybe even Fogarty should play.

Pittonet and Hewett will be available.

Make a list of those who should be starting earlier next week. I suspect Cottrell, Young, Silvagni, Kennedy etc might be on the list.

You would never ever drop Cripps but it might be a good idea to manage him particularly with the bye to follow.

I don't get why Weitering doesn't play on the most dangerous forward. Weideman is a spud and was never going to hurt us. Youngs problem is confidence, once he was dropped earlier on in the season his confidence was shot. Levi might make a mess of him next week if Young were to play.

Not sure why JSOS and Kennedy should be on the list for the early start.

Out: De Koning, Young, E Curnow, Martin, Cottrell, Motlop, Cripps
In: Pittonet, Cuningham, Binns, Dow, Marchbank, Cowan, Fogarty

B: Cincotta Weitering Kemp
HB: Docherty Marchbank Saad
C: Binns Kennedy Acres
HF: Walsh C Curnow Cuningham
F: Owies McKay Silvagni
Foll: Pittonet Cerra Dow

Int: Boyd McGovern Cowan Fogarty

Sub: Cripps

Pretty much but would keep Martin.

Kennedy’s kicking was woeful. Walsh mainly non-impactful.

Boyd to HFF, perhaps some decent kicks into the forward line.
Motlop has to go, offering squat. Cotters has been poor for a few in a row.
Cripps, WTF are you actually doing out there?
Young, that was deplorable!
Docherty in the gun too.

Can’t see Marchy getting up with his soreness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cuningham > Cripps
Dow > Curnow
Fogarty > Motlop
Pitto > TDK
Binns > Cotters
Marchbank (if available) > Young

I honestly would have more faith in Plowman over Young.

Jack Martin “out” is weird

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm wondering how many will actually turn up to watch this one. Surely tonight broke most supporters
15,000?
I don’t think I’ve ever been this broken. Dark years at least the expectation wasn’t there but this hurts given the false dawn of 2022.
Terrible for the club as we would be 50k plus if we were any good

Have to agree unfortunately and is an option I forgot about, played okay in the VFL today.

Laid back character too. Does take on some weird options on occasion, but doesn't s**t himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back