Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

I reckon it’s awareness not pace

Agree. While he's not quick I don't see it as a big issue, more like he's struggling with the pace of the game.

Awareness and off the back of that decision making needs to be sharper.

Additionally, he can lay a tackle when hunting but one on one he's a lot like O'Brien was, a bit too slight to hold his own. Think he has more mongrel in him than Lochie did though and gets more of the ball through better understanding of where he needs to be and when.

Edit:

Thinking about it he could do with strength and power work on his legs and through his core, really be able to drive hard out of stoppages. He should be able to keep pretty much all his endurance but have more explosive acceleration.

Last edited:

Most certainly will be finishing outside the 8 next round.

How evil is the fixturing?
We are facing top of the ladder at their ground while the remaining 6 along with Fremantle are all facing teams 10th and below.
Or we just win and stamp ourselves on the competition

We are facing top of the ladder at their ground while the remaining 6 along with Fremantle are all facing teams 10th and below.

As long as we’re in the top 4 by years end dosent matter where we sit now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bring it on! You wanna win the flag, it won't be from facing teams in 10th and below.

The Blues have a real chance to make a big statement. Eight day break, they should be well rested and ready for a war.

If any team can exploit them, it's us. The only way to curb elite ball use is through manic pressure and turning it into a contested slog... when we're at our best, that's our forte. Not to mention, our forward line along with Geelong's are probably the two that will really test them down back.

Looking forward to what I think could be a grand final preview. You guys match up well on us with your monster goal kicking forwards. You also capitalise on momentum better than any other team. That and you’ll be getting key players back at the business end of the season leads me to thinking you will peak when it matters most.

Our midfield speed and rebound transition is our strength.

After playing on the concrete of Optus, multiple 6 day breaks, feel we might come out pretty flat and you might get us.

In any case a genuine 50/50 match, just hope no injuries to either team.

I like fast players.
Melbourne was our 5th game in 27 days.

by the time we meet, the blues will have played 6 games in 35 days...
you guys should run over the top of us.

Hopefully a little more rest this time round allows us to bring our best.

Even with parity in terms of preparation this feels like a 60/40 game your way, Sydney are a high quality, well coached side playing excellent footy.

FWIW, my ladder prediction at the start of the year had you guys finishing top.

we've been spanked in terms of turn-around between games too. Melbs was our 5th in 27 days.

Prepare yourselves for the inevitable Delusiondon are the real deal articles/puff pieces as they are likely to be around 3rd when we play them in Rnd 14.

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.

This is absolutely true and has been for the entire Voss era.

Sydney are definitely similar to the Cats and Pies.
I think it's true of every team and every style, some are just suited to others. Sometimes it's style and gameplan, sometimes it's the cattle.

I feel like for a while now St Kilda have been difficult for us for no obvious reason. Players like Membrey or Melksham have been a thorn in our sides for what seems like forever. Another recent example is Keays. Speaking of Keays, Adelaide seem to have a bit over us lately.

I think we're a bit like that for Melbourne. We play a similar style and while I wouldn't out and out say we play it better, for some reason they struggle to get a grip on us and have for a while. Probably because they can bash most teams, but they can't bash us and when they can't do that I'm not sure what else they have - the same could be said of us to a degree.

Another is Freo. For some reason we just have it over them which is quite funny as it winds them up so much.

It's a bit of both. Ollie doesn't have that acceleration over the first few strides to put space into the opponent like a Saad, but also doesn't have the spatial awareness given that lack of acceleration.

I've mentioned it before, but it's something that was present in his game even at U18 level, so it's an aspect of his game he'll need to work on - especially with the faster pace at senior level.
I'm hopeful this is something that can be addressed.

Ollie appears to be very driven. It will eat away at him that he has this flaw in his game.

Agreed, that the two areas he must improve on are
1. acceleration off the mark and
2. peripheral vision.

1. He obviously has a massive tank, so should be focussed on developing that core strength/pace off the mark - I've seen Russell work on this with other players through speed parachute training (standing start with a parachute to provide resistance and focussing on explosive power). I see this as an area he can improve on.

2. The peripheral vision could be an ongoing issue. Hoping it is just inexperience, with Ollie just turning 20 and only in his 2nd year. Training/drills/simulation is the only way I can see this improving.

I like Ollie. He tries his guts out week in/week out. Is a smart footballer who follows Vossy's instructions to the letter.

Surely the coaches/player & Russell are aware, and the club can provide a program for him to follow to improve in these areas.

I'm hopeful this is something that can be addressed.

Ollie appears to be very driven. It will eat away at him that he has this flaw in his game.

Agreed, that the two areas he must improve on are
1. acceleration off the mark and
2. peripheral vision.

1. He obviously has a massive tank, so should be focussed on developing that core strength/pace off the mark - I've seen Russell work on this with other players through speed parachute training (standing start with a parachute to provide resistance and focussing on explosive power). I see this as an area he can improve on.

2. The peripheral vision could be an ongoing issue. Hoping it is just inexperience, with Ollie just turning 20 and only in his 2nd year. Training/drills/simulation is the only way I can see this improving.

I like Ollie. He tries his guts out week in/week out. Is a smart footballer who follows Vossy's instructions to the letter.

Surely the coaches/player & Russell are aware, and the club can provide a program for him to follow to improve in these areas.
I think Ollie is a great structural winger and very good at helping the defence. Like you say, he seems the type to try and follow instruction to the letter which is a good thing but at times it can be somewhat of a hinderance.

However, he is limited ball in hand it seems. I wouldn't mind him having a run in the 2s with a bit less emphasis on structural integrity and a bit more on getting creative in finding the ball. He's already got the structural integrity down pat so if he could become even a Cottrell level of attacking effectiveness he will be an excellent 8-15 level player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even with parity in terms of preparation this feels like a 60/40 game your way, Sydney are a high quality, well coached side playing excellent footy.

If we evened out the breaks with a game every 7 days, then game 1 is on day 1, game 2 is on day 8, 3 on 15, 4 on 22, 5 on 29, and 6 on day 36.

We will have had an 8 day break between last Thurs and this Friday. Reckon we’ll be cherry ripe on Friday and run out the whole the game.

Have to beat the best to be the best, anytime, anywhere!

How can you possibly be complaining about playing 6 games in 35 days?

With Williams being potentially available, I would let him get some confidence and run through the 2s, he looked really off it for the last couple of weeks. I would be filthy if we dropped Cincotta for him. Cinc has been fantastic and defends much more efficiently.
Or he could be sub so he doesn't have to do a full game (and isn't getting subbed off unexpectedly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back