Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

I generally put most injuries down to bad luck, but it’s getting harder and harder to think that, surely this is more than just a coincidence?

On the plus side, this MIGHT have a positive impact in the long run, more games into other players, more depth, more fighting for spots etc.

Just need to bank enough wins and hope that we have all hands on deck at the business end.

We can still beat the swans.

Wow that's 2 for 2 with Cunners and Martin. Long absence - rushed straight back into the AFL team both play ordinary games then immediately reinjure their calf the next week.

What in the name of God is going on at the club? Severe mismanagement / incompetence is the rule not the exception.

Think you'll find it’s the players not mismanagement.

Martin had constant injury concerns when he was at Gold Coast and nothing has changed. Same with Cunningham and for that matter Marchbank. Quite reasonably there would have been an expectation that as the body matured and had more pre-seasons under its belt it would become somewhat more robust but this hasn’t happened with these three.

All have the talent and none have the durability to play AFL.

The club needs to cut ties.

Martin had constant injury concerns when he was at Gold Coast and nothing has changed. Same with Cunningham and for that matter Marchbank. Quite reasonably there would have been an expectation that as the body matured and had more pre-seasons under its belt it would become somewhat more robust but this hasn’t happened with these three.

Cooke said as much last year. Obviously not those players specifically, but the need to have durable players

So

Out Martin, Cerra, Cottrell

In Fantasia, Hewett, Williams

One of our defenders will definitely need to play higher, or Carroll comes in and a defender will be the sub

Pitto would still be a test
I think we need a good runner in there? Binns?

Does anyone know why Marchbank isn't in the injury report? I know some would assume that makes him fit to play... but I didn't come down in the last shower, no sirree, not me.

With Cerra, Cottrell, Martin and (presumably) Pittonet out of last week's 22, I'm going with Hewett, Binns, Fantasia and (presumably) Williams as the replacements, with Carroll as sub/next man up. I'm assuming that ultimately, one of Pittonet/Williams will be fit to play.

But if we did lose another one, obviously Carroll goes into the 22, but who would be the sub? Surely not Young or Marchbank. Who's left? Moir? Wilson?

It's good that some of the cavalry looks like it'll arrive in time for next week, but if we're making 4+ changes every week, it'll take its toll on our cohesion. Irrespective of the actual personnel (and I do think we'll really miss Cottrell - pound-for-pound, he is probably more important to us than Cerra right now, even though Cerra was very good pre-injury last week).
I hope you don't mind me intruding. But I wanted to say how worried I was with Cotterell. He has had some season, and I do not wish for any injuries to any players , but let's just say I smirked when seeing he was out this week. Real hardnut

Does anyone know why Marchbank isn't in the injury report? I know some would assume that makes him fit to play... but I didn't come down in the last shower, no sirree, not me.

He isn’t on the injury report because he played reserves last week so he is fit to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but these players need to stop having so many bloody scans......... When you scan the body you are firing radiation directly into the body.

It poisons the muscles and all area surrounding.

Yes it may show signs of strain but id rather play and get a bloody injury ffs than have a scan and sit out cause the screen says so...

Tbh all of these scans are not good for humans at all. There is a reason all these rooms are lead lined to prevent radiation leakage. I should know I've built them and installed the machines... steer clear...

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Righto. Looks like the clubs gonna need a few of us - 14 on the injury list now with Jacky Martin. Dust off your jumpers

Is just me that thinks that that lady should have used the bus she used to pick up all these ringer players to go pick up the actual players that broke down?
They were driving to the game anyway.

I'm sorry but these players need to stop having so many bloody scans......... When you scan the body you are firing radiation directly into the body.

Yes it may show signs of strain but id rather play and get a bloody injury ffs than have a scan and sit out cause the screen says so...

Tbh all of these scans are not good for humans at all. There is a reason all these rooms are lead lined to prevent radiation leakage. I should know I've built them and installed the machines... steer clear...

What instruments do you think they use for muscle scans?

I don’t think MRI’s are the reason for our injury curse!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt CT scans get used much in the AFL. Quite a lot of protocols surrounding amounts of radiation exposure.

Is just me that thinks that that lady should have used the bus she used to pick up all these ringer players to go pick up the actual players that broke down?
They were driving to the game anyway.
Nope. I’m with you on that. Still scratching my head. By the time she tangled up all the townsfolk got them all to the game and all that she would have been better off picking up the ringins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth I agree we should delist the more injury prone players but giving the club a real free pass there. Why did we in previous years bring guys back from long term injuries with a half in the VFL and then ramp up from there? Why do we no longer do that?

Both Jack and Cunners did that last year and didn't reinjure their calves.

So despite all obvious evidence out in the open we're just giving the club a pass? Yep all these repeat injuries are just a bad coincidence. Not the club mismanaging a string of players but it's all the players fault?

Cunners, Marchy, JM, Cerra, Walsh, Motlop, Cottrell, Boyd, Williams, etc. have had repeat injuries.

Saad is due back next week - you'd have to almost expect him to reinjure his hammy at this point some time in the next 2 weeks given the state of our injury management.

that’s a terrible thing to say.

Sorry but I’m just utterly deflated by the Martin news. I thought yesterday’s injury update was bad but this tops it and I reckon there’s a fair chance we find out tomorrow that Pitto and Zac won’t be playing either.

We have already been setback in this torturous rebuild by injuries, most notably Charlies knee, and as JAB said I think the damage might be done this year too by virtue of these constant injuries.

For what it's worth I agree we should delist the more injury prone players but giving the club a real free pass there. Why did we in previous years bring guys back from long term injuries with a half in the VFL and then ramp up from there? Why do we no longer do that?

Both Jack and Cunners did that last year and didn't reinjure their calves.

So despite all obvious evidence out in the open we're just giving the club a pass? Yep all these repeat injuries are just a bad coincidence. Not the club mismanaging a string of players but it's all the players fault?

Cunners, Marchy, JM, Cerra, Walsh, Motlop, Cottrell, Boyd, Williams, etc. have had repeat injuries.

Saad is due back next week - you'd have to almost expect him to reinjure his hammy at this point some time in the next 2 weeks given the state of our injury management.

The club seems to have gone more conservative with its injury management and is waiting longer to release players back to playing.

It’s such a balancing act and is reliant on the player’s feedback as much as any scientific approach but bear in mind some of these guys; at least two of the three I mentioned would most likely have a lot of scar tissue in their legs and the muscles are probably made of paper mache by now. Adding more size is not always ideal either as extra weight puts more stress on the moving parts as well.

Not suggesting the HPT shouldn’t be reviewed at the end of the season but to be fair, a lot of these issues are the same old injuries occurring in the same old players.

Add in the fact that the game has never been more demanding on the body and there are going to be a lot of bodies that just cant cut it on a consistent basis.

Martin was drafted in 2013 and since 2014 he has played more than 20 games twice (2016, 2017) and never more than 16 (once) in any of the other years.

Cunners is much worse; drafted in 2015 first game 2016 but has never played more than 12 games a year (2020,2023).

Russell joined October 2018 for the 2019 season.

Still largely believe in the following, talent no problem, durable body not so much.

Last edited:
The club seems to have gone more conservative with its injury management and is waiting longer to release players back to to playing.

It’s such a balancing act and is reliant on the player’s feedback as much as any scientific approach but bear in mind some of these guys; at least two of the three I mentioned would most likely have a lot of scar tissue in their legs and the muscles are probably made of paper mache by now. Adding more size is not always ideal either as extra weight puts more stress on the moving parts as well.

Not suggesting the HPT shouldn’t be reviewed at the end of the season but to be fair, a lot of these issues are the same old injuries occurring in the same old players.

Add in the fact that the game has never been more demanding on the body and there are going to be a lot of bodies that just cant cut it on a consistent basis.

Martin was drafted in 2013 and since 2014 he has played more than 20 games twice (2016, 2017) and never more than 16 (once) in any of the other years.

Cunners is much worse; drafted in 2015 first game 2016 but has never played more than 12 games a year (2020,2023).

Still largely believe in the following, talent no problem, durable body not so much.

Yes, so, the club needs to wish these types of players well and cut ties as a previous poster mentioned. Players like Martin, Cunners and Marchbank are not suddenly going to be not injury prone for goodness sake!!

The club seems to have gone more conservative with its injury management and is waiting longer to release players back to playing.

Even leaving the couple of injury prone players out of the discussion we've got that many injuries right now it's a moot point.

We've got an issue.

We decided to flog the players through an even more intense preseason than the previous one (which generated a similar injury list). We started high intensity from January and we're already paying the price.

Russell's position is untenable at this point.

Excuse my ignorance, but do injured players still receive full salary?

Depends on their contract but some players would have a "match payment" of some kind which they'd obviously miss out on. Younger / rookie listed players can potentially double their salary if they play the bulk of the year in the AFL team through match payments but that is mostly because they're paid bugger all to start off with (less than $100k).

Even leaving the couple of injury prone players out of the discussion we've got that many injuries right now it's a moot point.

We've got an issue.

We decided to flog the players through an even more intense preseason than the previous one (which generated a similar injury list). We started high intensity from January and we're already paying the price.

Firmly agree.

We've got an issue.

I think this is very true, and Russell is probably gone. But who signed off on this? It's a pretty brave/radical/risky move to do what they did, and if it pays off great. But if it doesn't, you basically break your players and ruin the season. I can't believe there's a world where Russell tries a new approach and everyone just goes along with it. Ultimately Brad Lloyd is answerable.

Sure, be innovative and take risks. But this level of risk taking seems negligent to me. Was our big plan for improvement this year to train the players harder so they could outrun the opposition? Was that it? If so, there's a football department wide issue here.

No chance Boyd will be sub. Absolute nuts.

for rotations
I've named 8 defenders, 9 if you count Wilson, 10 if you play Marchbank. Remember that he, Newman, and Kemp were doing the rebounding work off half-back for most the game while Cincotta sat on an opponent.

I think there's room for him to get a spell on the bench for 3 quarters for the sake of continuity, especially when Wilson might need it during his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back