Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m ashamed to admit, I left the game at half time…

BT and JB were drilling holes in my head with their s**t Chanel 7 commentary…
What makes it worse is that they are all sharing personal opinions while the game is in motion.
Blah, blah, blah about nothing in particular....... oh, someone has a mark inside 50.

Is your concern that any of those would have been worse?

Honestly, I said Moir isn't ready... but in hindsight I reckon he would have offered more tonight...

It’s not so much would any have been worse than tonight it’s that they almost certainly wouldn’t have been better.

Durdin is playing terribly at the moment but he can play better than he has shown, but I am losing faith.

Motlop apparently available next week but I think he will come back via VFL.

It was on the big coin players tonight...Walsh and cripps were smashed... hope they're embarrassed for next week...charlie needs to compete and stop wrestling....the trying to turn the player is low percentage...missed tackles across the board was poor. Really interesting year... being outside the 8 when you're a game out of the 4 means nothing.... need to get some troops back and find momentum though... the Swans aren't a 10 goal better team than us

It’s not so much would any have been worse than tonight it’s that they almost certainly wouldn’t have been better.

Durdin is playing terribly at the moment but he can play better than he has shown, but I am losing faith.

Motlop apparently available next week but I think he will come back via VFL.
Motlop would still offer more than Fantasia and Durdin up forward

That was just a forgettable game with no redeeming features
I’ve decided to get on with my weekend and not even try to analyse what went wrong as it’s a waste of time.
The team is better than what was witnessed out there
I hope Weitering gets up for next week.
See you next week.

I am still not sure how out midfield - our #1 weapon - was so non-existent there tonight. Particularly in the 2nd-3rd quarter. It was almost back to the Bolton years bad.

Next worst is our kicking into the forward line. How do we not find a way to isolate TDK on his midget opponent?

Despite having 3 big forwards numerous times we ended up kicking to Owies or Durdin as marking targets. Numerous times we kick to the advantage of the opposition player.

But at least we're consistent in this. I.e. we do it every week. The midfield thing was a shock.
Think Cripps, Walsh and Hewett are already a bit beaten up already this season. Cerra cursed. Carrol had 3 great quarters early in the season. Time to break Zak and give him the midfield minutes we recruited him for.

Simmos minutes played were pretty low those games.

True. Less time in 3 games than Durdin had in 1. Mind you, for a midfielder it's a strange stat, and he didn't have a handball either.

That was huge issue from the game. The midfield unit were too strong for us.

We also seemed to lack a little speed, Warner, Blakey were constantly breaking lines as well.

Thought Boyd was kicking with dare early until he turned it over and then we all stopped taking the game on.

I'd actually stick with Williams forward for a period of time.
Yeah maybe.
Trouble is that our field kicking is so bad that we really need a fit and switched on Williams attacking off half back.
Boyd has a great kick but doesn't get enough of it so the opposition is happy to give him a few possessions because there's no real hurt factor with how poor our system is ATM.
I think Boyd should be attacking but hey, that's just my humble opinion.

What’s happened to him?
Thought he was developing really well in 2022, last year injury ruined, and here we are in 2024 …

Who ...Kade Simpson? He's good for another 300 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Charlie being sent to the backline when the going is tough is a massive cop out.

What does it say about our backline if we need a 2 time coleman medalist to play FB or intercept.

You only do that if you need to kill a game off in the final 2-3 mins of a game not in the 2nd qtr.

Not surprised by this result come up against quality opposition for the 5th weak in a row with a weakened side .
Given the sides we've been rolling out going 2-3 isn't a disaster .
1 more Win in that lot would have been a great result given the injury circumstances.

We got away with mass injuries last year due to a softer draw .

Not happening this year much tougher draw we simply need to get some troops back or the season is going to blow up quick smart..

Also Charlie being sent to the backline when the going is tough is a massive cop out.

What does it say about our backline if we need a 2 time coleman medalist to play FB or intercept.

You only do that if you need to kill a game off in the final 2-3 mins of a game not in the 2nd qtr.

I think Charlie has a licence to do it when he feels the tide needs to be stemmed. I don't think a message goes out to him each time.

Heavy training load may have contributed to injuries but it also doesn’t look like we can run out games. 4 weeks in a row we have looked average after half time. Swans are very good but I wonder if the injuries have broken the players resolve.

Newman and Acres were the only ones who really played to their uusal levels. Pitto wasn’t disgraced in the ruck. Cripps as always tried hard. Kennedy, Boyd, Cinc and Kemp fought it out. Elijah at least played the game out.

Obviously having little choice but to play Ollie, Williams, Durdin and Fantasia when they are so horribly out of form and Marchy underdone didn’t help but that was as bad a game as I’ve seen for Walsh, Curnow and Harry.

Fwiw, I thought the turning points of the game were -

Pitto dominated Grundy in the first 15 minutes, Grundy fought back to win on points, but gave them centre dominance after half time (umpiring howlers notwithstanding)

H missing a lay up goal after not being given an obvious 50 mt penalty, he should not have missed, but it was another howler.

They put (often illegal) clamps on Walsh, to the point he was seen on camera explaining how he was getting held at every stoppage.

Other than those turning points.

The Swans ball use and handling was superior, we fumbled too often in the conditions, it appeared to be quite slippery and they just did it better.

Possessions notwithstanding, I thought Cripps contribution was below par.

Their tackling pressure was significantly better than ours.

They are an awesome team, and had things in their favour with regard to 'rub of the green', home ground a a healthy list. Exceedingly well drilled, they seem to all be cut from the same cloth of toughness, speed and skill. Very worthy favourites for the flag.

If we don't get first selection troops back soon, I doubt we make the finals.

Least of our issues but Cowan out for Marchbank was not a good move.

The weirdest stat ... What is Marchbank's biggest strength?

0 marks for Marchbank tonight ... just him and Durdin.

I’m ashamed to admit, I left the game at half time…

BT and JB were drilling holes in my head with their s**t Chanel 7 commentary…
Don't be ashamed, half our players did too...

Seriously though if it's impacting your mental health and wellbeing then walking away is better than ranting on here.

On Durdin - the guy is out of form. But the pile-on is a bit simplistic.

We got destroyed in the midfield and appear to be singling out the forward pocket stuck in starvation corner for criticism.

That is Mick Malthouse stuff when we lost by 12 goals, couldn't get the ball over half way then the only players he dropped were 3 blokes in the forward line.

I'd be blaming Pitto+Cripps+Walsh+Hewett first. They got absolutely destroyed as a group and that is what cost us the game.

Owies kept attacking throughout the game. That's all you can ask when the midfield was so poor.
Williams had some good moments later in the game, but still not a pass for someone of his experience. That said, he'll be better for the run next week.
I used to love the way Durdin played but he seriously is nowhere near it ATM.

Sorry to say but there were more than a few that showed that they are not up to the level when it comes to playing sides that are not only good at the contest but also have leg speed.
Owies, like all our small fwds, can only run in straight lines. That’s it.
I could bloody side step them, and so could my wife!

Fwiw, I thought the turning points of the game were -

Pitto dominated Grundy in the first 15 minutes, Grundy fought back to win on points, but gave them centre dominance after half time (umpiring howlers notwithstanding)

H missing a lay up goal after not being given an obvious 50 mt penalty, he should not have missed, but it was another howler.

They put (often illegal) clamps on Walsh, to the point he was seen on camera explaining how he was getting held at every stoppage.

Other than those turning points.

The Swans ball use and handling was superior, we fumbled too often in the conditions, it appeared to be quite slippery and they just did it better.

Possessions notwithstanding, I thought Cripps contribution was below par.

Their tackling pressure was significantly better than ours.

They are an awesome team, and had things in their favour with regard to 'rub of the green', home ground a a healthy list. Exceedingly well drilled, they seem to all be cut from the same cloth of toughness, speed and skill. Very worthy favourites for the flag.

If we don't get first selection troops back soon, I doubt we make the finals.

Agree with most of that. Having that continuity in the team like the Swans do with anywhere between zero and 1 change each week must be fun.

Carlton went in with 4 forced changes then Weit gone at half time makes 5. Almost a quarter of the team rotated.

They've also had a lot softer fixture of late. 5 weeks playing the top 5 wore us down.

Back