Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Charlie being sent to the backline when the going is tough is a massive cop out.

What does it say about our backline if we need a 2 time coleman medalist to play FB or intercept.

You only do that if you need to kill a game off in the final 2-3 mins of a game not in the 2nd qtr.
Weiters is off injured, Voss puts Charlie at CHB at the SCG to try and get some drive from the backline.

Remember we still had TDK and Harry as forward targets. It didn’t work out but at least Voss was trying something to get the ball going our way.

On Durdin - the guy is out of form. But the pile-on is a bit simplistic.

We got destroyed in the midfield and appear to be singling out the forward pocket stuck in starvation corner for criticism.

That is Mick Malthouse stuff when we lost by 12 goals, couldn't get the ball over half way then the only players he dropped were 3 blokes in the forward line.

I'd be blaming Pitto+Cripps+Walsh+Hewett first. They got absolutely destroyed as a group and that is what cost us the game.

I am bemused by people who refuse to put heat on the guns who went missing and pin the loss on fringe players.

We were incredibly bad tonight. Pressure lacking. Perhaps the worst tackling performance I’ve seen under Voss. No real winners on the night. So many non contributors.

In saying that, while disappointed, I’m not shocked with the result. Sydney are the best team in the competition at the moment. They probably won’t lose a game at home this year. We’re down on troops. Third time in four weeks playing 1st on the ladder. Weitering off at half time. I’m not hitting the panic button yet but if we can’t beat GC at home next week, different story.

Weiters is off injured, Voss puts Charlie at CHB at the SCG to try and get some drive from the backline.

Remember we still had TDK and Harry as forward targets. It didn’t work out but at least Voss was trying something to get the ball going our way.
He put Charlie back to try and stem the bleeding, not as a counter punch.

Didn’t answer the question did you.

He was inconsequential.

Even when they killed us around the ball - he was nowhere.

I'm more than happy for Hayward to resign with them (apparently that is now in the works) on massive coin.

He's a good player but not the one we need.

Hopefully the media attention bumped up his price a couple $100k.

We need a CHB who can stay on the park and a speedy midfielder who can stay on the park... Well to be honest anyone who can stay on the park has got to be a target at this point.

It’s all good McGovern will back next week…….oh wait, sorry…

I am still not sure how out midfield - our #1 weapon - was so non-existent there tonight. Particularly in the 2nd-3rd quarter. It was almost back to the Bolton years bad.

Next worst is our kicking into the forward line. How do we not find a way to isolate TDK on his midget opponent?

Despite having 3 big forwards numerous times we ended up kicking to Owies or Durdin as marking targets. Numerous times we kick to the advantage of the opposition player.

But at least we're consistent in this. I.e. we do it every week. The midfield thing was a shock.
The midfield has been worked out by the opposition and we can't mix it up with injuries. We need to run williams, ehollands, cunners through there

On Durdin - the guy is out of form. But the pile-on is a bit simplistic.

We got destroyed in the midfield and appear to be singling out the forward pocket stuck in starvation corner for criticism.

That is Mick Malthouse stuff when we lost by 12 goals, couldn't get the ball over half way then the only players he dropped were 3 blokes in the forward line.

I'd be blaming Pitto+Cripps+Walsh+Hewett first. They got absolutely destroyed as a group and that is what cost us the game.

He is singled out because he is clearly not up to it. Pitto, Cripps, Walsh and Hewett will bounce back next week. What does an inform Durdin actually look like?

40 games. Has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game. Has had more than 12 disposals only twice. Averages 2.7 tackles (low for a supposed strength)

A 2 year extension is a disaster and plenty of people are frustrated seeing these performances in the weeks after they gave him the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to shout out Marc Pittonet for his performances recently (including tonight) - he has been in career best form since returning to the team. Bringing everything he has and more so far in 2024 and has made himself completely undroppable which is great to see.

Some areas he is doing well in statistically in 2024 (the game tonight hasn't been included in the stats as of yet):
  • Contested possessions (12.0 per game) ==> 3rd amongst rucks
  • Ground ball gets (4.6 per game) ==> 6th amongst rucks
  • Centre clearances (3.4 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Total clearances (6.6 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Score involvements (5.8 per game) ==> 5th amongst rucks

This reminded me so much of the 2013 Semi Final.

Our players slipping on the surface constantly and the Swans obviously with proper boots handling the surface much better, in particular Warner, what a beast.

Charlie slipped twice within one minute while stationary, kicking the ball under no pressure!!

Just want to shout out Marc Pittonet for his performances recently (including tonight) - he has been in career best form since returning to the team. Bringing everything he has and more so far in 2024 and has made himself completely undroppable which is great to see.

Some areas he is doing well in statistically in 2024 (the game tonight hasn't been included in the stats as of yet):
  • Contested possessions (12.0 per game) ==> 3rd amongst rucks
  • Ground ball gets (4.6 per game) ==> 6th amongst rucks
  • Centre clearances (3.4 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Total clearances (6.6 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Score involvements (5.8 per game) ==> 5th amongst rucks
Finger held up well tonight. Great effort from the big guy.

There's obvious holes in our list that are self explanatory, injuries or not that are restricting our ball movement - we have gone for long periods in games without scoring many times over the last 18 months just usually we can turn the game into a wrestle to keep game tight ..
Still not a fan of two rucks - harry looked better earlier in season when he was involved in the game more as that back up ruck - our turnover game seemed better with TDK but pitto is the better tap ruckman so who to choose ?.
We will limp to the bye and hope for the best from there the way things are looking..

There is always time to reward the best performers at VFL level. Especially during an injury crisis.

We will, I think most likely in a staggered fashion.

Throwing 2 first gamers in tonight against the top of the ladder side who are flying on their home deck wouldn’t have gone well either.

He is singled out because he is clearly not up to it. Pitto, Cripps, Walsh and Hewett will bounce back next week. What does an inform Durdin actually look like?

40 games. Has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game. Has had more than 12 disposals only twice. Averages 2.7 tackles (low for a supposed strength)

A 2 year extension is a disaster and plenty of people are frustrated seeing these performances in the weeks after they gave him the deal.

I agree with most of that but he's still young enough and he missed basically all of last year (the games he played were injury effected). I think he'll be ok. He's got more about him than what he's showing right now - missing tackles / fumbling.

Regardless - we can't be getting the knives out for our forward pocket after a team performance like that. Their midfield went sprinting out of the front of the centre bounces for the majority of the game after quarter time. Our forward pocket had nothing to do with that embarrassment.

Swans have had 17 of their best 22 play all the games this season

Continuity at this club is cursed
Guarantee this doesn’t last all season. I would be more worried if we had no injuries at this time of year than any other. They are a brilliant team, but they are being carried a bit by continuity, and how good their stars are playing. Reckon they’ll be figured out by the first week of September

Disappointed in our prev big money recruits in McGovern & Z.Williams, conditional footballers who dish up some ordinary moments all too often.
Gov’s first quarter was exceptional. Williams was one of the few who tried to stand up when we were under siege. Also loved that he didn’t stop trying all night. They were far from our biggest issues tonight

I agree with most of that but he's still young enough and he missed basically all of last year (the games he played were injury effected). I think he'll be ok. He's got more about him than what he's showing right now - missing tackles / fumbling.

Regardless - we can't be getting the knives out for our forward pocket after a team performance like that. Their midfield went sprinting out of the front of the centre bounces for the majority of the game after quarter time. Our forward pocket had nothing to do with that embarrassment.

All things being equal, he’s playing vfl if 1 of of Fogarty or Motlop are fit.

The whole years of never getting a decent small forward is still costing us, Durdin and Fantasia aren’t getting games for anyone except maybe the bottom 3 and us.

Gov’s first quarter was exceptional. Williams was one of the few who tried to stand up when we were under siege. Also loved that he didn’t stop trying all night. They were far from our biggest issues tonight

Thing is with tonight’s performance you could find fault with basically everyone. Williams and gov very low down on our list of issues on the night.

Back