Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with most of that but he's still young enough and he missed basically all of last year (the games he played were injury effected). I think he'll be ok. He's got more about him than what he's showing right now - missing tackles / fumbling.

Regardless - we can't be getting the knives out for our forward pocket after a team performance like that. Their midfield went sprinting out of the front of the centre bounces for the majority of the game after quarter time. Our forward pocket had nothing to do with that embarrassment.

At 173cm you need to have something special about you and I just don’t think he does. I’d be surprised if he ever becomes more than an okay best 22-25 player, and he looks a long way off that at the moment.

Four years into his career. I guess he’s got another two to try and prove his worth.

Gov’s first quarter was exceptional. Williams was one of the few who tried to stand up when we were under siege. Also loved that he didn’t stop trying all night. They were far from our biggest issues tonight
Therein lies the problem with MM, he then turns the good to bad with perceived contact to drop a sitter (not uncommon to drop his head) or get too cute with his disposal to f-troop it up & look like an ordinary run of the mill player. Higher level of consistency of elite standards vs the fluctuations of mediocrity thrown in plus more body contact in contests. Very frustrating player in comparison to his brothers consistency & physicality.

Marchbank, Cuners, Akuei, Mirkov without blinking

One of S Durdin or Young

Tough calls on Martin Or Carroll
Owies should be nervous too, spends long periods without getting involved.

Not fast, can’t kick over a jam jar from an elevated tee, misses more tackles than he makes, rarely front and square to the marking contest, thinks he is a marking tall and clogs up the space the big guys need to work in. Has Brad Fisher vibes. Been lucky to capitalise on the work of others to contribute a goal or two a game and keep his spot due to lack of options.

Peak Eddie Betts would be having 10+ shots a game in this side by being on the move and getting to the front of packs knowing where the ball is being kicked. Our small forwards are the only players in the AFL that don’t seem to know our game plan of kicking it long to H and Chuckles.

So apparently our tackle attempts went at 50%, while the Swans went at 75%.

Think about that ... 1 in every 2 of our tackles was broken.

Owies should be nervous too, spends long periods without getting involved.

Not fast, can’t kick over a jam jar from an elevated tee, misses more tackles than he makes, rarely front and square to the marking contest, thinks he is a marking tall and clogs up the space the big guys need to work in. Has Brad Fisher vibes. Been lucky to capitalise on the work of others to contribute a goal or two a game and keep his spot due to lack of options.

Peak Eddie Betts would be having 10+ shots a game in this side by being on the move and getting to the front of packs knowing where the ball is being kicked. Our small forwards are the only players in the AFL that don’t seem to know our game plan of kicking it long to H and Chuckles.
I'll raise you a Corey Durdin

1000029171.png

So apparently our tackle attempts went at 50%, while the Swans went at 75%.

Think about that ... 1 in every 2 of our tackles was broken.

Honestly I’m surprised it was that high - to the eye it looked like only 25% of our tackles stuck - they just had better technique and pace

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOOD - beaten by what I consider the benchmark , meaning we are 9 goals off the pace currently. Hopefully now the team will get to work and stop listening to the media hype of thinking we are a serious footy side. They've got 3 months to sort it out
BAD - the injury list means that at least half dozen players are going to continue to be selected irrespective of form . We are all aware of the players who shouldn't be there if all are fit. No need to mention names.
I'm certain there are at least 4 players that are getting jabbed up pre match as well just so that they can participate so I suspect the injury list is probably worst than we think ( pittonet, Williams, weitering , all playing sore)
UGLY - our small forwards. As a group collectively, they are hideous to watch.
Our reserve backline is disgusting and leaking big scores now . I've never seen them fumble as much as I have witnessed over the past month and the opposition know it. Can we at least try McGovern at CHF, send pitto for a rest and have TDK back rucking properly.

My view is that this club has shown incredible resilience over 12 months. That can become tiring. I just think we hit that point last night. It doesn’t mean we can’t find that resilience again (starting next week).

To be honest, I’m less concerned about the game. We are probably 8 injuries outside our best lineup. If I thought that adding those 8 and taking away 8 of their equivalents wouldn’t reverse the result, then I would be worried about the result. But I am fairly comfortable that we are 50 points to the good in reverse circumstances.

But the problem is that the injury issue is one which should be better under our control than it seems to be. The club is clearly costing itself a tilt at a premiership. And that is disappointing.

My only other thought on the game is that Warner should receive the fawning media coverage that seems reserved for Nick Daicos.

In a team sport on a wide open field - burst and fast running type players are showing a significant advantage.

If you squinted your eyes and watched Chad Warner running through and around our players with ease you may have thought he was one of those new super fast humanoid robots ...

There actually isn’t. Looking at our list this is who you could pick to replace Durdin based off availability this week:

Cowan
Binns
Lemmey
Young
Wilson
Akuei
Moir
Mirkov

Moir the only one who plays his role who could have come in. Unless we picked Wilson or Binns and asked them to be a small forward which they don’t do in the vfl, which would be totally unfair on them.

Last night we played Durdin, Owies and Fantasia, with Williams also playing forward, i think we have options to drop one without throwing any kids to the Wolves. Cowan and Binns can both play, the latter deserving of a chance to play his first full game.

We "lifted" our preseaon intensity to be fitter and run out games.

If anything we have gone backwards at both. I believe the last 5 weeks were the hardest we should have it in terms of quality opponents but we are absolutely teetering on "careers on the line" for some now, and yes that's a handful of players and Russell especially

Back