Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of break away speed puts us in pressured situations more often, Warner is a great example of having the grunt to win the ball inside the contest and then has the speed to accelerate out of congestion which buys him more time to execute the skill or improve his decision making, he can also kick & handball the ball at a good level.

We just don’t have enough of these types, we are too one paced which also hurts our ability to chase, pressure & tackle and the lack skill compounds the problem.

Got to find 2 quicker options to support Cripps & Walsh and move past Hewett & Kennedy going forward.
Yep but in lieu of having those faster players we gotta get stronger around the contest and have a better system.

That is to miss the point.

Why keep playing a few who are horribly, horribly out of form at the expense of giving a few kids a taste of the big time?

Some might just surprise - we won't know if we don't give them the chance.

I really don't understand the fascination of giving an underdeveloped, inconsistent kid a taste of the big time when the club is in win mode and not rebuild mode

It happens every week even after a win, let alone a loss, where people look at the bottom of the stat sheet and compare it to that of VFL output

Even more bizarre is stating we should play that kid out of position at the next level

A prime example was Dow, apparently he was going to rack up 30 touches and a couple of goals and or should be played as a forward, just to get him in the side

It's not about touches, it's about preparing a kid to succeed when taking the next step

Unfortunately, we just need to wait for better options to return from injury

We’ve played the top team on the ladder 3 times in 5 weeks, as well as playing another two teams that were in the top 4 at the time. That’s a brutal schedule. Whether you want to use it as an excuse is another issue
What playing 3 top sides in 5 weeks tells you and losing most of them, is we can not win the premiership. That is what we will have to do to come from 6th or 7th

Actually watched the replay (was at junior sport while it was live) even though I knew the result.

Our one wood was exposed last night on a couple of fronts in that we’re missing Cerra (when he’s up and going), Fog and even Cunningham as midfield rotations and TDK had an absolute nightmare of a game.

When we started well Pitt was in the middle with our starting mids and this gave us the early dominance around stoppages however with a lack of quality relievers the Swans soon got back on terms (reckon our mids are just getting worn out too, was pretty much only Cripps, George, Walsh and MK doing the work with Carroll later on). Weitering not coming back out in the third thereby bringing Carroll into the middle ( and having to send Williams back) didn’t help, especially with TDK in the middle.

TDK was a massive liability last night. Didn’t chase hard on several occasions allowing Sydney easy outs (was jogging behind them when only a few metres away all night) and was dominated at the ruck by Grundy with no followup after the tap. Would have actually used Harry in the middle as a chop out because TDK was that poor.

Sydney’s speed definitely troubled us on numerous occasions but a lot of that was winning stoppages/centre clearances as much as it was on rebound, especially when they broke the game open in the 3rd.

Our transition game is certainly nowhere near the best teams so if we are getting dominated around the the ball we’re in trouble.

Couple of crucial moments went against us early; no free to TDK in front of goal and no 50 to Harry near the square (should have kicked it anyway but the 50 would have helped).

Individuals who stood out for me:

Gov played well, especially his kicking. Long penetrating and accurate.
Newman.
Pitt; is so important to out stoppage work (11 clearances both centre and around the ground on his own)
Thought the Williams forward experiment worked quite well and would look at it again for sure.
E Hollands did some nice things.
Acres worked hard all night as did Crippa.
Owies was the best of the smalls.
Kennedy does a massive amount of grunt work.
Thought Cin did a pretty good job on Pap.

On the down side Charlie needs to stop trying to play from behind. When he leads up he’s much better than going joe the goose.
Wasn’t Boyd’s best game.

Tackles: Oh dear, made Sydney look like supermen, especially after half time.

Injuries have hurt our balance and play style, it’s just a fact.

I really don't understand the fascination of giving an underdeveloped, inconsistent kid a taste of the big time when the club is in win mode and not rebuild mode

It happens every week even after a win, let alone a loss, where people look at the bottom of the stat sheet and compare it to that of VFL output

Even more bizarre is stating we should play that kid out of position at the next level

A prime example was Dow, apparently he was going to rack up 30 touches and a couple of goals and or should be played as a forward, just to get him in the side

It's not about touches, it's about preparing a kid to succeed when taking the next step

Unfortunately, we just need to wait for better options to return from injury
That's Moir. And no one I saw said play him out of position.

And no, not touches, but impact.

And he doesn't need to run 12-16km to have an impact.

1 on 1 with most of those Sydney defenders, I'd back him in.

Then do Binns - identical to Hollands in physical dimensions.

Binns has played HB, wing and HF...

And he's in terrific form.

Sorry for intrusion.

Was at the match last night. In the first 10 minutes it felt like the ‘22 grand final, honestly thought we’d lose by 80. It showed to me that Carlton’s best is jut about, The best and your momentum can turn a game.

The Blues did look a little gassed walking off at half time but that’s not surprising given the injuries as well as the returnees after long layoffs.

When you get your cattle back you will be surging to meet us in the grannie.

Blues are still the team I respect and fear the most. Until September 28. Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows filth cats and now sydney - they got the recipe to beat us

we were lucky to fall over the line against the dees - petracca nearly single handedly got the win for them.

its clear we cant compete against faster stronger players.
Problem with that argument is that none of the Dees, Pies or Cats is any faster than us....

We just had a stinker last night - and the outs clearly don't help....

Problem with that argument is that none of the Dees, Pies or Cats is any faster than us....

We just had a stinker last night - and the outs clearly don't help....
We are missing players for sure and thats no doubt hurting us badly

I should have added better ball users as well but we still struggle against the stronger faster types - we cant execute effective tackles - its been going on for too long where our players get shoved out of the way too easily or left in the wake of oppo players .

That's Moir. And no one I saw said play him out of position.

And no, not touches, but impact.

And he doesn't need to run 12-16km to have an impact.

1 on 1 with most of those Sydney defenders, I'd back him in.
I like Moir alot, can't wait to see him play, but he doesn't have the fitness for repeat efforts

Back him one on one against Swans defenders? I've yet to see him dominate an opponent at VFL level

Then do Binns - identical to Hollands in physical dimensions.
Binns is probably thicker set than Ollie, but that's not really the issue, he is even less likely to find himself in congestion and rarely comes inboard due to that reason

Binns has played HB, wing and HF...
HB & HF with little impact, and not that impactful on a wing with tge touches he accumulates

And he's in terrific form.
In the VFL, with marginal impact

He came on and played the last quarter against the Cats, so you'd think he could cover the ground and amass some touches, he had 2

A lot of well thought out opinions on this page and all pretty much on the money - but unless we get our hands on the ball first we look pretty impotent.

We need things to go 100% our way from here to be competitive.

As soon as we start to lose the clearances, at the centre bounce in particular we look stuffed.

We are missing players for sure and thats no doubt hurting us badly

I should have added better ball users as well but we still struggle against the stronger faster types - we cant execute effective tackles - its been going on for too long where our players get shoved out of the way too easily or left in the wake of oppo players .
if a bucket has one hole in it, it's a problem.

If it has 4 or 5 holes in it, it's a disaster....

That is us right now.

Sometimes it is about perspective.

The HUN headline was: “sensational Swans show Carlton what a real contender looks like.”

We all know that if it was * it would have been: “Brave Bombers’ Fast Start Not Enough To Overcome Full Strength Swans.”

I don’t think either of those takes are right. The truth lies somewhere in between. We need to improve, but the injuries are making our campaign very tough. Hopefully a few returning players and a renewed focus on some fundamentals will see us right the ship.

The problem is, he's not only a small but he's very small for AFL footy. Size is a flaw that can only be compensated for by exceptional skills, strength, speed, agility.

I'd have said he was fast before this year, but to date he's been outpaced not only by Blakey - who is legit fast in a straight line - but ******* Jake Lever, Dayne Rampe. Grundy looked faster last night. So, if it's not pace, what is it?

He's got a good head, but playing smart footy only helps when you can impact the play. So, is he impacting the play?

Corey's had a combined 17 disposals across three weeks and no goals across his last 5 games. He's had a single 1%er in each game, from +70 percent game time, and has laid across the last three games a combined 4 tackles. If he's impacting the play, it's not visible statistically or through the naked eye.

Is it skill? Last night, he went at 33% disposal efficiency from 3 disposals.

It's not strength, agility, skills, speed or power; all in all, we're playing an undersized footballer without getting in anything remotely acceptable as a tradeoff.

And if the implication here is that he's injury affected, why in utter heck is he playing?

I said it when we picked Teague that if we don't solve the injury woes he'd be out the door. I said it when we got Voss, and all of a sudden people are starting to point to one dimensional coaching; well, if your list is always hampered by availability, of course you're going to be one dimensional. Your ability to move is hamstrung - pun intended - by your inability to do more than select positionally; you have no weapons other than what the cattle available immediately supply you. You shove Cincotta into the team and try and free up Boyd into a hybrid Saad/Newman role because Saad's out; their forward flankers get loose and busy because Boyd is doing something he's not suited to and is playing off his man. You play Ollie when he's hearing footsteps; you play Hewitt and Kennedy and Cripps in the same midfield against the fastest midfield in the comp, and they're all ******* fumbling. Pitto is better below his knees than Cripps and Hewitt are at present.

If Doc was available, you think Ollie'd be playing? If Cerra was available, would Hewitt have been in? If Motlop or Martin were available, would Fantasia or Durdin be playing ones? If Jack was available, would we have always preferred TDK over him?

If we do not have an equivalent run with injuries that matches the current downswing, there is no justice in this world. While there are unequivocally reasons why we are so, so prone to losing important players for months at a time, at all times an element of injury is luck of the draw. You cannot predict losing Marchbank when he landed on Kemp; you cannot predict Weitering getting corked from Kemp's hip (maybe you can, I'm sensing a common link!).

I have about one more thing to say. For a player who is so vaunted for his disposal, jeez does Gov shank an awful lot of kicks and boy oh boy is he panic prone. If he's a serious footballer that will get us deep into September, I'll go he; we cannot rely on him to always be there because he's always injured; we cannot rely on his disposal to always be quality even if he can cut an opponent wide open sometimes; we cannot rely on his head to always be in the game late, because he gets the hot potatoes worse than anyone else in the squad, which is beyond perplexing for a bloke his size.

If we manage to win a flag with the bloke, it'll be because he's in our bottom 6 and has a good day.

I'm interested to see how Young goes if Weitering's out for any amount of time; he's covered pretty well before for him, even if when they play together they get in each other's way.

I agree Durdin is way out of form.

Motlop and Fogarty should push he and Orazio out you'd think.

I'm just not writing off Corey yet nor piling on after a team performance like that as the small forward is the easiest target after a belting.

Love your positivity on Young. I think he's got the talent - if he can play with some level of confidence he'd be fine.

I don't think Weitering misses with a corky though.

Sorry for intrusion.

Was at the match last night. In the first 10 minutes it felt like the ‘22 grand final, honestly thought we’d lose by 80. It showed to me that Carlton’s best is jut about, The best and your momentum can turn a game.

The Blues did look a little gassed walking off at half time but that’s not surprising given the injuries as well as the returnees after long layoffs.

When you get your cattle back you will be surging to meet us in the grannie.

Blues are still the team I respect and fear the most. Until September 28. Cheers
Your players certainly did look fast.

Warner, wowee.

Back