Preview 2024 Rd 4 (Gather Round) Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday April 6 - 4.20PM (AEDT) @ Adelaide Oval - Team stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Brodie Kemp
OUT: Caleb Marchbank (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Corey DurdinMatthew OwiesMatthew Cottrell
Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLachlan Cowan

Have to say am a bit disappointed with TDK so far this year. Still below average hit out win rate and hit outs to advantage. Same for ground ball gets which is a shock. Only 13 touches a game. Only one goal so far. I think he’s part of the reason why we’ve lost our edge at the contest (plus JC is just not at the level of the others obviously).
Agree to an extent. Around the ground he’s been ok. We do miss Pitto’s taps to advantage in the centre square. We have not been dominant in centre bounce clearances in all 3 games.

Kemp or Young to replace Marchbank…

I really like the idea of Young. Allows Weitering to play more third up role and allow for intercepting etc and I like Weiterings kicking. I’d like to see him play a more Tom Stewart type role

Young can play lockdown on KPF.

I’d also like to see Kemp developed more as a Fwd/Ruck doing Silvagnis role this year. I don’t believe Kemp is a natural defender

With Young, Durdin, McGovern, Marchbank, Weitering we have enough taller defenders at the moment

Agree to an extent. Around the ground he’s been ok. We do miss Pitto’s taps to advantage in the centre square. We have not been dominant in centre bounce clearances in all 3 games.

We haven’t lost either. TDK needs to keep improving his tap work but he is contributing a lot, allows McKay to be involved more and gives us more run.

I see little advantage in bringing Pittonet in. I think it’s a backward step

I really like the idea of Young. Allows Weitering to play more third up role and allow for intercepting etc and I like Weiterings kicking. I’d like to see him play a more Tom Stewart type role

I’d also like to see Kemp developed more as a Fwd/Ruck doing Silvagnis role this year. I don’t believe Kemp is a natural defender

With Young, Durdin, McGovern, Marchbank, Weitering we have enough taller defenders at the moment
Don't see Young getting a game while Weiters is fit, unless it's as a ruck.

When did Young and Weiters play together? Early last season?

In theory what you're suggesting is good.

Things can change I guess but from memory it hasn't worked well in practice?

When did Young and Weiters play together? Early last season?

In theory what you're suggesting is good.

Things can change I guess but from memory it hasn't worked well in practice?

Hasn’t been tried since we have been playing well. I’d much prefer Durdin but he can’t get on the park

I just believe Weitering can be a weapon from defence

Just my opinion

We haven’t lost either. TDK needs to keep improving his tap work but he is contributing a lot, allows McKay to be involved more and gives us more run.

I see little advantage in bringing Pittonet in. I think it’s a backward step
Did not say otherwise mate. My point was we have lost centre bounce clearance dominance. That’s clear for anyone to see.

Young isn't even VFL standard right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo were 5 goals 12 at 3/4 time last night despite being dominant in field play. The reason was that they were really poor with their inside 50's and that they don't have the class of key forwards available to camouflage that poor entry issue.

Fortunately we do.

My main concern us that Alex Pearce is in red hot form down back and Luke Ryan is going o.k. means that they are one of the better equipped teams to deal with Harry and Charlie. So there is every chance that we will need to find other avenues to goal. Alternatively we need a few plans like uploading Charlie deep if Pearce goes to Charlie or playing Elijah in the square a couple of times.

We should win if we bring the effort.

He’s a star. I think he can be more of a weapon if released from No.1 forward like Andrews or Stewart or Sicily etc

Just my take
Not for me. He plays on the best so he is in the play. They have to play through him.

Plenty of times already teams without good forwards try and play around him and get his opponent to take him away from the play

It's not broken. It doesn't need fixing.

Freo were 5 goals 12 at 3/4 time last night despite being dominant in field play. The reason was that they were really poor with their inside 50's and that they don't have the class of key forwards available to camouflage that poor entry issue.

Fortunately we do.

My main concern us that Alex Pearce is in red hot form down back and Luke Ryan is going o.k. means that they are one of the better equipped teams to deal with Harry and Charlie. So there is every chance that we will need to find other avenues to goal. Alternatively we need a few plans like uploading Charlie deep if Pearce goes to Charlie or playing Elijah in the square a couple of times.

We should win if we bring the effort.
Alex Pearce is an ALDI brand Darcy Moore. H and Charles won't have any issues getting past him.

Its the midfield and half forwards that we need to worry about imo. Switkowski, Frederick and Walters are very good footballers when they're on song.

Carlton's smalls were able to nullify Norfs rebound game by swarming the ground balls early in the game and Carlton's mids were able to win teh ground ball game - thus nullifying Clarkson's numbers forward of the ball in contests. Repeat entries over time saw Harry and Charlie gain aerial dominance - against shorter less experienced opponents. Superior running power over 4 quarters was also a major contributor as was a strong tackling performance.

Against Fremantle - expect a closer encounter - because they have better tall defenders. The between the arcs game will decide the winner - as it usually does.

I think a number of players are yet to find '23 form.

Acres, Cottrell, Boyd and O Hollands are the obvious ones - but I think Voss has come up with a better rotations in on ball brigade yesterday. Carroll is developing very well - he only needs to be cleaner in contests when gathering the ball and a get more capable in the clinches to become a starting player. In my book he has (so far) been the real find for Carlton in '23 - I think with a tad more confidence/experience he could have kicked another couple of running goals from 40-50 - and that is a missing part of our midfield rotation attacking capability - especially with emerging evidence of a much improved overlap running from turnover structure and capability.

Early days but Carlton is now at least trying to play a more direct through the guts game style when situation presents.

I was very impressed with McGovern's defensive mongrel yesterday and (of course) Weitering's total dominance over Larkey.

It seems that Marchbank will be out for this game- finding a new way to get injured - Kemp is an easy in.

I think Boyd in particular needs to be a bit smarter with his defensive acts - communication or lack thereof between he and Marchbank led to that concussion - I dont understand why Boyd felt the need to fly into that contest- it was dumb at every level.

Alex Pearce is an ALDI brand Darcy Moore. H and Charles won't have any issues getting past him.

Its the midfield and half forwards that we need to worry about imo. Switkowski, Frederick and Walters are very good footballers when they're on song.
On current form Pearce is a significantly better footballer than Moore . You'll see that next week.

Switkowski, Frederick and Walters will be playing on Saad, Williams. Newman and Boyd between them. Doubt that they'll worry us too much, particularly if we are winning more if the ball than they are.

Alex Pearce is five times the defender Moore is. Just had rotten injury luck over his career - started off the year incredibly well

Alex Pearce is five times the defender Moore is. Just had rotten injury luck over his career - started off the year incredibly well
Perhaps, last year he was absolutely putrid in the contest. Started better this year I agree, but I don't think his opponents have been near their best in the games Freo's played so far.

Perhaps, last year he was absolutely putrid in the contest. Started better this year I agree, but I don't think his opponents have been near their best in the games Freo's played so far.
He made Tex look really old and sad last night. Maybe Tex has had one year too many, if so the crows are in terrible trouble.

Would be good to not have to worry about them the following week.

He made Tex look really old and sad last night. Maybe Tex has had one year too many, if so the crows are in terrible trouble.

Would be good to not have to worry about them the following week.
Admittedly, I'm a bit reserved with Freo plaudits just yet. Tex has looked as bad as Mason Cox this year, Brisbane are all over the shop and North... Well Norf...

We'll be a good means test for them, if they come out and are ultra competitive I'll give them their dues but right now I just feel like they've been a bit right place right time with the teams they've vsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back