Preview Round 0 - Carlton vs Brisbane Friday March 8 - 7.40PM AEDT @ The Gabba - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Opening Round team v Brisbane
Backs:Brodie KempLewis YoungAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Kennedy
Half-forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Lachie FogartyOllie Hollands
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsAlex CincottaMarc Pittonet

This is great, I remember as a kid having the TV on mute with the footy on the stereo.

I'm curious to know who's calling our game for SEN but anyone is better than 7's commentary team.
I think that Alastair Nicholdon has replaced Hamish (who is on an overseas sabbatical). So that's a good thing.

Might still be B.T. though.

unnamed-2.gif
It's GAME DAY!!!
alice in wonderland disney GIF

Get UP!!!
GET NERVOUS!!!
Get out your LUCKY CHARMS
St Patrick Ok GIF by Zhot Shotz

Country Music Singing GIF by Looney Tunes

No more Re Hearsing and Hearsing a part...

Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Leroy Patterson

yes-cheering.gif

I can't wait to watch this game.

It's only one game, but...

Imagine when we win with all of these top line players missing.
It would set us up for a great year
We'll know that we can match it with any teams, despite injuries - that's a great place to be :D

Let's go Baggers!!!

I’m a bit high level on some of these rule changes..

So sub can come from extended bench named or emergencies - right?

Still 4 on the bench?

I’m hopeful tonite but see us as a $4 chance which is roughly our odds.

After last week, I only wish Dees could have been better v Swans last night, would have given me more a bit more confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do laugh at our supposed lack of pace on ball. Surely no one thinks that Neill, Dunkley, Berry and McCluggage are likely to win any Stawell gifts do they. Good footballers though as are Cripps, Hewitt, Cerra and Kennedy.

I figure that they send Dunkley to Cripps and we send Hewett to Neill - not to tag but to be accountable for them.

If we can break even in the ruck and put enough pressure on the ball to force them to kick into their forwardline in a scramble way then we are right in it.

But please don't let Coleman and Big O dominate against us (fortunately McKenna is not playing). We've had 6 months to formulate a plan for that.
I agree. Leg speed alone doesn't make a side quick. Good ball movement does though.

thinking Cottrell or Fogarty to sit on Kitty Coleman after he tore us a knew one in the PF. Hoping Harry can play tough & make Harriss Andrew accountable & not taking a heap of intercept marks . Good chance with some guys out for some others to step up. Ollie Hollands looks primed to be a serious player over the next few years. Go Baggers

The key, as always, is that we need to kick 15 goals to win. That looks our biggest stretch most weeks at the moment, but we can't expect to beat Brisbane in Brisbane without it (particularly not with Weitering out).

So where do those goals come from? Typically, I think you want a 5-5-5 spread - that is, 5 goals from your KPF, 5 goals from your other forwards, 5 from your mids and defenders

Our issues:

-Our midfield REALLY struggled for goals last year, and in particular were almost totally absent during our pathetic run of 9 losses in 10 games (with something like 5 goals combined in that time, if I remember correctly). Our best goalkicking mid was Cottrell (who played a bit forward too) with 0.6 per game. No-one else even got to one goal every two matches. In our best run of form, though, the mids did better.

- Our non-key forwards were actually good when at full strength last year - Owies (1.5), Martin (1.5ish, allowing for injury), Motlop (1.1), Silvagni (0.9), and Durdin (1.0) all did their bit. The problem was when we included too many of Cuningham (0.5), Fogarty (0.33), TDK as a forward (0.45), Honey (0.5) or Kennedy (0.3) as forwards - they simply don't kick enough goals. And here is our issue in this one: Silvagni, Martin, Motlop and Durdin are out, and Owies is underdone.

- Our KPFs - to be honest, Brisbane have covered them very well over the past 2 seasons, with Curnow/McKay combining for 8 goals in 3 matches. Curnow was awful in the prelim final. In a win we can hope they get to 4-5 goals, but I don't see a big bag coming.

That suggests to me that the path to ANY win here involves:
  • Cripps has a vintage/throwback game, pushes forward and kicks 2-3 goals (and probably has 35 touches too), with a bit of support from Cerra/Kennedy and maybe TDK getting up and clunking one
  • Fantasia has to be the spark up forward and kick 3.

It might even just be that simple from what I can see. If those two things don't both happen, I simply don't think we'll score enough, and an honourable loss is the best outcome.

Do you know if Kennedy was training with the mids or forwards?
Half half but his knee is heavily strapped. If you have any sort of bets on his performance I would be erring on the side of caution.

Normally doesn't play too well if he has any niggles, has to be at peak fitness to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back