Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-logo-1980.gif
vs 1682686677022.png

Last time we met:

1682687190607.png

Goals: Curnow 2, Fisher 2, Motlop 2, Cripps, Durdin, Martin, McKay, Newnes, Owies
Best: Weitering, Saad, Cripps, Docherty, Walsh

Just a quick recap: Blues trailed by 57 points at the final change and whittled it down to 15 with three minutes remaining before the home team steadied. Crippa in a bit of strife after the game with the incident that left Ah Chee concussed and out of the game. Lions fans filthy as a mechanic's rag after Cripps got off on appeal by the people's champion Christopher Townshend QC, paving the way for Cripps to win the Brownlow defeating their own Lachie Neale - leaving them to cry tears into their XXXX beers....which incidentally would probably improve the flavor.

Preview: Carlton will be keen to take the 4 points over a team that a number of footy experts anticipate should be there at the pointy end of the season. A good chance for the Bluebaggers to consolidate a place in the 8 - with matches against the Dishlickers, Pies, Swans and Demons to follow.

Result: Should be a close, hard fought encounter. Blues by 108 points.

OUT: Honey, Fisher, Kennedy (sub)
IN: Motlop, Dow/Binns/O'Brien

Pick your poison as to who replaces Fisher, but he's got to go after that first half performance. Game was over emotionally after about 70 minutes, so I don't care what he managed there after when sagging off defensive duties resulted in next to impact on the result.

Maybe we can relocate to WA and play in a giant open field where our long kicking and possession style trumps defensive reactions and running, but there's no greater indictment on how easily our feathers are ruffled than the fact that the extra space and the lack of physical pressure in most contests saw us run over what is a quicker team overall (albeit young, inexeperienced and missing a few key players right now).

We don't have a worthwhile plan to buy space for each other often enough, and this is the final bit of data that confirms it. Fix that, we're a genuine finals team. I believe it can be done with the right personnel changes, and this would be a start.

Just the one change for me:

Enter the garbologist, Binns!

Out: Ollie needs a rest.

Sub: Kennedy worked well.

You could pull the trigger on both Honey (who’s game I actually liked) and Fish.. for Motlop and Owies, will be interesting to see what lever the MC pull.

I think fish will keep his spot for his ability to be in more transitions. Just think Voss will see owies and Motlop as forward 50 players or not good enough at accumulating.

Dunno if I agree but that's my guess. So I think it'll be just

Motlop for Honey. A second change I think would just be a swap of Kennedy and Ed, keep this team stable. Please. The balance was good.

no reason why we cant beat this mob at Marvel.

fish is the only player i would drop...needs to work harder

i wouldnt omit honey...thought he was ok.

Interesting isn't it. Honey had 6 pressure acts, Fisher had the 2nd highest after Walsh, with 20

Think he worked hard enough. Can't see Honey remaining in the side over Fisher

Interesting isn't it. Honey had 6 pressure acts, Fisher had the 2nd highest after Walsh, with 20

Think he worked hard enough. Can't see Honey remaining in the side over Fisher
expect more from fish...honey may or may not make it in the end ...i dont know...but fish can definitely play

on my viewing i dont see genuine intent the way he plays..it is so obvious i cant understand how you cant see it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Motlop for Honey which brings us quite close to our best 22

Owies, TDK, Cotters, Boyd are line ball, Williams, Martin, Cuners maybe one day

At Marvel we should be up to our eyeballs in this game.

Need to get used to Martin/Cunners not playing much at all moving forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

expect more from fish...honey may or may not make it in the end ...i dont know...but fish can definitely play

on my viewing i dont see genuine intent the way he plays..it is so obvious i cant understand how you cant see it?

Just responding to your post about workrate, trying hard enough.

Stated a couple of weeks ago and even at half time tonight, Fisher hasn't been as efficient as he should be, but hasn't been as poor as others have suggested. Nor can I see Honey remaining in the side over Fisher

What could happen is Mots and Cotts coming in for Honey and Fisher, although, Cotts could come in to give Hollands a spell

Good position to be in with players returning

Fish is clearly down on confidence, I was annoyed when he didn't take that shot on goal in the first as 12 months ago he would've slotted it. With no natural half forwards pushing for selection in the 2s I reckon getting through this rough patch in the seniors is the right thing to do.

Even though he glided across the Port Melbourne turf today, I think they’ll give Cotts another week in the VFL.

Honey out for Motts is a no brainer.

Not sure if Owies needs a run in the VFL, but if he doesn’t, then he comes in for Ed.

Cowan can learn his craft in the VFL. Cinc has gone ahead of him.

Would be criminal to drop Kemp.

Not sure what we do about Fisher. Felt he had an almost game. He probably plays, but should be looking over his shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought Cotts looked our most likely today in the VFL. Would be ok with Ollie having a week off and Cotts coming straight in. Happy for Ollie to be sub too.

Motlop will be in for Honey for sure.

Team really taking shape now.

Personally think that Motts could do with a run in the reserves and no change for me. Maybe play Bam Bam and make Ed the sub unless there is a defined role for him.

Thought that Fish started to turn the corner today. 4 shots on goal for a poster. 2 points and a miss. Needs to convert better but would be feeling better about himself after today than recent weeks.

Personally think that we are a huge chance.

I think fish will keep his spot for his ability to be in more transitions. Just think Voss will see owies and Motlop as forward 50 players or not good enough at accumulating.
Fish did nothing but kill momentum for 2.5 quarters, then got thrown in the middle when the game was dead, hence the transition and pressure stats looking higher than usual.

He won't produce that form against that Brisbane, where he will get completely ragdolled. Take him on the value he provided in the first half, and move on from him. He and Honey were carried by everyone else tonight.

Give Motlop his stoppage looks, where I think he will shine.

All I want to see is the same intent to take the attacking kick, bring the ball into the corridor and also take the obvious overlap handball option.

I’m happy Voss took the shackles off today, but it will all be for naught if we go back to slowball against a much tougher opponent next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back