Preview Round 0 - Carlton vs Brisbane Friday March 8 - 7.40PM AEDT @ The Gabba - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Opening Round team v Brisbane
Backs:Brodie KempLewis YoungAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Kennedy
Half-forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Lachie FogartyOllie Hollands
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsAlex CincottaMarc Pittonet

I don't think we disagree on much here - if it is as slippery as you expect then 85 vs 95-ish in good conditions is pretty much the same implications - it means we have to attack, move the ball forward quickly and try to outscore them rather than trying to out-defend them. Brisbane are not a team you want to be playing close to your defensive goal...

Beyond that, not only does being aggressive give us our best chance to win, but I think it also gives us our best losses, too.

Let's face it, par for his match (with Weitering/Walsh) is probably a 4-5 goal loss. A 110-80 loss is going to feel a lot better and give us all a bit more confidence than an 80-50 slugfest.

A more open, free flowing game where we force the ball forward at all costs is also probably a bit less draining than a tight, contested slugfest and given we have to travel home tomorrow and then play again on Thursday, that's also important.
Fair assessment

I guess it could also be viewed as a bonus that we meet the Lions at the start of the season, where despite missing some key players, the strategy of how we tackle the game is better planned

Tigers also get one less day of recovery

Why we will Win

Contested Ball - Our game plan keeps us in it against anybody. That is proven and in tough humid conditions it really helps
The Key will be everyone contributing and taking advantage of goal scoring opportunities

Midfield depth - Brisbane have some class but we bat deep. Cripps Kennedy Hewett Cerra Docherty is our core but it's the value minutes of Cuningham Fogarty Cottrell Carroll will mean we never drop off with pressure. I love the Carroll addition

Acres & Hollands is as good a wing combination as there is in the AFL.

TDK - He is ready to become a top leverl ruck. Being the main ruck will suit him

McKay - Being 2nd ruck will make him better. He needs to be involved, is a great athlete that will make us better and will still kick as many goals. I expect a big year from him.

Williams - What a story and loved by the players. His presence will really lift us let alone him being an A grade player. His combination with Boyd Saad Newman is as good as any

Pre season - Forget the 2 practice games. It was about miles in the legs. We have had a great pre season and are ready

It won't be pretty but who cares. Blues by 23 points
Soap love the optimism.

What we need tonite is far more from our mids than the final last year. Hewett, Cripps, Cerra and Doch only averaged 18 touches each and, to boot, the non-playing Walsh was easily our best with 33.

8 touches to Cottrell, 11 to Ollie , 18 Acres..

To get up tonite we need far more from all of the above - at least to give the Coleman boys a chance to snag many each.

I think a lot of Lions fans are still a little bit shaken by our round 1 loss at the Gabba to Sydney 2 years ago.

If there is a good time to get us at the Gabba, it's round 1.

Why we will Win

Contested Ball - Our game plan keeps us in it against anybody. That is proven and in tough humid conditions it really helps
The Key will be everyone contributing and taking advantage of goal scoring opportunities

Midfield depth - Brisbane have some class but we bat deep. Cripps Kennedy Hewett Cerra Docherty is our core but it's the value minutes of Cuningham Fogarty Cottrell Carroll will mean we never drop off with pressure. I love the Carroll addition

Acres & Hollands is as good a wing combination as there is in the AFL.

TDK - He is ready to become a top leverl ruck. Being the main ruck will suit him

McKay - Being 2nd ruck will make him better. He needs to be involved, is a great athlete that will make us better and will still kick as many goals. I expect a big year from him.

Williams - What a story and loved by the players. His presence will really lift us let alone him being an A grade player. His combination with Boyd Saad Newman is as good as any

Pre season - Forget the 2 practice games. It was about miles in the legs. We have had a great pre season and are ready

It won't be pretty but who cares. Blues by 23 points
I just cannot visualise a win no matter how I look at it…

I admire your positivity though 🙌

I think a lot of Lions fans are still a little bit shaken by our round 1 loss at the Gabba to Sydney 2 years ago.

I see your point, but if there's a good time to get Carlton in 2024, it's when we're missing Weitering and Walsh.

tried to make sense of this but cannot..........please sensify..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tried to make sense of this but cannot..........please sensify..........

We were coming off a run into the third week of the finals, were talked up as on-track for a premiership assault and expected to open the season by easily accounting for the Swans, only for them to totally run over us in the second half.

Our other first Gabba games since have been wins well under the predicted margin.

In short, there is evidence to suggest we maybe lack conditioning/cohesion early in the season following finals and a shortened pre-season.

We were coming off a run into the third week of the finals, were talked up as on-track for a premiership assault and expected to open the season by easily accounting for the Swans, only for them to totally run over us in the second half.

Our other first Gabba games since have been wins well under the predicted margin.

In short, there is evidence to suggest we maybe lack conditioning/cohesion early in the season following finals and a shortened pre-season.
Just realising you're a Lions supporter has clarified things for me big time 😂

How much can we realistically expect from Williams and razio tonight considering they’ve been out for a while?

Hoping at the very minimum that they get through tonight and get some good run into their feet.
I expect them to be fully fit and make a huge contribution, otherwise they shouldn’t be in the team IMO

Good point Hollow Knight and one I've been hoping will be a small advantage for us tonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back