Preview Round 0 - Carlton vs Brisbane Friday March 8 - 7.40PM AEDT @ The Gabba - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Opening Round team v Brisbane
Backs:Brodie KempLewis YoungAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Kennedy
Half-forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Lachie FogartyOllie Hollands
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsAlex CincottaMarc Pittonet

Why not?

In the last two years, Brisbane have scored 85+ in 19/25 games at the GABBA. The others were all odd games (3 games where they kicked atrociously for goal eg: 10.18, a 6 goal win where Ashcroft did his knee, a random game where they just got belted by Geelong by 10 goals, and the prelim last year where they didn't show up in Q1 and still scored 79).

In their first GABBA game last year they scored 93 against Melbourne (best defence in the comp). Two years ago was one of their bad kicking games (11.14.80 vs Port) and they still put up a score that you need 14-15 goals to beat.

Further to that, across the last two years Brisbane have lost 15 games total (including finals). Only twice did their opponent fail to reach 90 points (70 vs Bulldogs last year, 57 vs Geelong at KP in 2022).

Basically, to beat Brisbane you have to score 90+ (which means 13-15 goals), which means you have to have a plan that gets you to 15 goals (give or take a few behinds) if everything goes to plan.

Edit: To reinforce this another way: in their last 50 matches, only once has a team scored less than 80 and beaten Brisbane. You simply cannot defend your way to a win against them. In contrast, teams that score 95 points against them are 13-2 in that time period. The only way to beat them is to score heavily against them.
some good stat digging here!

i think we tend to give teams a relative look-in because we are attacking. but as per the above they have to take it. our defence improved last year but fast ball movement will unsettle any side. Payne was brilliant in the first game against you but has an interrupted pre season so not sure how right he will be - if he is good to go we have 2 good key backs to take on 2 good key forwards. if not, we could be stretched

fantasia is exactly the sort of elusive forward to cause us problems too. we paid scant respect to Hill at times in the GF that worked out well

who do you think will play on cameron?

Humidity will be through the roof, so not overly concerned that we are undersized across the park, in fact it could benefit us more. I doubt the scoring will be high, but the difference could be who is more accurate. Best tactics tonight would be akin to wet whether footy, don't over-handball, win the territory battle, lock it into our forward half and maintain a high press

Young-JD, Kemp- Hipwood, Gov will need to play undersized against Gardiner. Boyd, Saad, Williams should be able to compete well against their smalls, Newman to play the deep last defender so the don't have an avenue for a quick over the top slingshot attack. Aerial balls need to be killed forward of the pack, can't have the pill or opposition getting goal side of a contest. Young could follow JD into the ruck, although Harry could be the better matchup as they are both lefties

An Acres, Doc, Cerra to rotate as a defensive mid, almost a 7th backman in front of the last line

Midfield is a no brainer, force the ball forward at all costs in congestion, or find an open avenue a little wider when we have control. Wings will need to come inboard more often as I believe the ball will be more in-dispute than under normal conditions. Suspect Hewett will be the Neale cooler, Cripps head to head with Dunkley, Cerra v McCluggage.

Payne-Charlie, Andrews-Harry, Lester- Kennedy (Think MD will spend a fair chuck forward), Starcevich good get the job. We need to curve the run and outlet of Coleman, Ah Chee and Wilmot

It's a fallacy that sides don't kick long into their forward lines, especially with midfield congestion, without an overlapping outlet and more-so with the likely conditions tonight. Although what needs to happen, is either drilling the ball long away from Andrews, or creating more congestion at the fall of the ball to impede him from a simple intercepting chest mark

I believe 85 points will be enough to win this game easily and while I have the Lions slight favourites, it should be a close game either way

Excited to see how we setup our year, win or lose
Learn from what the Swans did in the 2nd half - that's how we should aim to play tonight

Anyone in Brisbane looking for a few tickets?

Although none of us are testing positive anymore for Covid I just don't think either my partner or I are really well enough to attend.

We have 3 tickets. If anyone wants to go but hasn't got tickets hit me up.

Just comparing tonight's team against our early consensus best 23 - we've obviously got quite a number of best players missing.

It would be so uplifting to win tonight

Let's go Baggers!!!

So who are the changes to get to our best 23?

Backs:Brodie Kemp
Marchbank
Lewis Young
Weitering
Adam Saad
EHollands
Motlop
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Walsh
Matthew Cottrell
Lachie Fogarty
Martin
Ollie Hollands

Anyone in Brisbane looking for a few tickets?

Although none of us are testing positive anymore for Covid I just don't think either my partner or I are really well enough to attend.

We have 3 tickets. If anyone wants to go but hasn't got tickets hit me up.
Sorry you can’t get there Wick, probably a good community minded choice, along with not over taxing yourself. Look forward to your thread input.

I'm just not my usual pumped up self. This whole Round 0 bullshit is ridiculous. Its got some weird pre season vibe about it, I'd prefer all teams are playing not this select group to exploit the north. Last nights game was a snorefest, turned off at half time to hit Doom Eternal.

It's also a tough ask against a quality opponent, I guess the bright side is getting it out of the way early though just not feeling it yet. Will be more psyched for next week.

Heard from a source (who has been hit and miss) that Walsh could be out till mid year. The indefinite timeframe doesn't bode well and he is just so damn important.

I'm just not my usual pumped up self. This whole Round 0 bullshit is ridiculous. Its got some weird pre season vibe about it, I'd prefer all teams are playing not this select group to exploit the north. Last nights game was a snorefest, turned off at half time to hit Doom Eternal.

It's also a tough ask against a quality opponent, I guess the bright side is getting it out of the way early though just not feeling it yet. Will be more psyched for next week.

Heard from a source (who has been hit and miss) that Walsh could be out till mid year. The indefinite timeframe doesn't bode well and he is just so damn important.
ignore the walsh silliness, all will be better when charlie's first goal sails through........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re killing my buzz St John

Hewy looks back to his 2022 best and very fit......He wasn't right last year. This will be a huge win for us.

Crippa does not have a mattress strapped to his ribs this year..... He is going to KILL IT. Nobody hurt more than our champion
skipper after the prelim loss. Couldn't care less about Dunkley, he will run straight through and over him tonight.

Big H is going to rip it to shreds...... WILL BE THE DOMINANT BIG MAN ON THE GROUND!

Zac back is HUGE. Will be underdone and could possibly be subbed off later in game but we have a top liner back.

Charlie will be everywhere tonight, he will have learnt from last year not to try and just take marks in packs
and will be very keen for a BIG ONE!!!!

Cerra is now right in his PRIME and will be given the responsibility of filling the Walsh void...... He will.

TDK will jump all over their lumbering ruckman who's feet are rooted to the ground.

Big Tom's athleticism will be another win for us IMO.

Oh and Blacres will be playing with TWO ARMS.......That has gotta help :thumbsu:

WE CAN WIN THIS ....... GO BLUE BOYS :carlton:

Last edited:
This probably isn’t the right forum, but I have a great feeling about tonight and this year.

My first born arrived a diehard supporter at 4.55am this morning. Speaking from experience as a 1992 baby/Carlton Fan - it’s Carlton’s MO to be good while he’s not making memories and to then be average for the next 20 years.

So that being said - lads, the Four-peat is loading.

This probably isn’t the right forum, but I have a great feeling about tonight and this year.

My first born arrived a diehard supporter at 4.55am this morning. Speaking from experience as a 1992 baby/Carlton Fan - it’s Carlton’s MO to be good while he’s not making memories and to then be average for the next 20 years.

So that being said - lads, the Four-peat is loading.
Congrats! How fantastic for you.😄💙🎁

Me tonight in front of the tv. Hoping for a miracle but will keep myself busy anyway.

Leaving Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

GO BAGGERS!!!!!

Just comparing tonight's team against our early consensus best 23 - we've obviously got quite a number of best players missing.

It would be so uplifting to win tonight

Let's go Baggers!!!

So who are the changes to get to our best 23?

Backs:Brodie Kemp
Marchbank
Lewis Young
Weitering
Adam Saad
EHollands
Motlop
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Walsh
Matthew Cottrell
Lachie Fogarty
Martin
Ollie Hollands
Reckon most would agree here. Still think Voss will like two recognised rucks. Hard to argue that our structure looks better without Pittonet included.
Have a good feeling about Harry this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back