Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsEd Curnow
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Alex CincottaOllie HollandsJosh Honey
Brodie Kemp
Emergencies:Lachie CowanZac FisherLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

Sorry I should have qualified my comments on Weiters. He is capable intercepting and being a lock down. I’m not sure why he should be limited to one or the other. Also Young is average one on one. IMO JW is one of the top 4 key defenders in the league along with May, Andrews and Taylor. On field body language can be a bit off at times but I reckon he’s a stud.

Tdk on the other hand has really poor judgment of the ball in flight even when he plays ruck so I’m not sure how sending him back helps. Also surely he is too slow and too poor a kick to play key defender. The reserves game against the Dogs can’t be unseen. I was expecting him to dominate - like OBrien from the Crows did when he was dropped last year - instead young Darcy looked much better than our Tom.
Wholeheartedly agree

7 games is a fair sample size.

For context I have been an advocate of Fisher since he was drafted. It’s only this year I’ve seen him as a liability. His decision making and efficiency has dropped off. If you are lacking in your defensive game as a small forward or midfielder you need to seriously hurt the opposition offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
he was generally very good last year.

Top 10 in the B & F?

Gone to puss this year though - personal life stuff perhaps?

Sorry I should have qualified my comments on Weiters. He is capable intercepting and being a lock down. I’m not sure why he should be limited to one or the other. Also Young is average one on one. IMO JW is one of the top 4 key defenders in the league along with May, Andrews and Taylor. On field body language can be a bit off at times but I reckon he’s a stud.

Tdk on the other hand has really poor judgment of the ball in flight even when he plays ruck so I’m not sure how sending him back helps. Also surely he is too slow and too poor a kick to play key defender. The reserves game against the Dogs can’t be unseen. I was expecting him to dominate - like OBrien from the Crows did when he was dropped last year - instead young Darcy looked much better than our Tom.
Young has more 1 on 1's per match than Harris Andrews and a similar contested defensive loss % (Young ~30% Andrews ~29%) He's in the same realm as:
Steven May - 31.8%
Alex Pearce - 30.8%
Dougal Howard - 27.3%
Harrison Petty - 30.8%

That's good company.

Weitering has a loss rate of 16.7% - the only player in the top 25 with a better loss % than Weitering in the top 10 defenders for CDOOO's (Contested Defensive One on Ones) is Charlie Ballard (15.4%)

I don't think Weitering should be an interceptor. He is a beast one on one. Young certainly isn't average either. Keep playing the likes of Kemp, Marchy, McGovern as our interceptors.

I'm quite surprised by those figured on Young, I'd have said the same thing about him.

I wonder if it's just a perception based on the types of forwards that do tend to make him look bad, i.e. physical forwards who like to engage ala Walker and Fogarty, so when he gets beaten by those types it looks bad, but to forwards who are a bit more finesse he wins the contests.

Getting Motts to play the Fisher role I like though.

Honey I think they are just giving a proper run at it as he plays a position we don’t have much of at the club, so if it could click for him it would be a massive win for us. Though I don’t think it will.
This just could be the game for Honey to break out. Has been building incrementally, really hoping he kicks 3 tonight and gets it 16 times. Lays some strong tackles, puts heaps of pressure on and plays like a man possessed.
Got a good feeling about this, Blues by 7 points.

You gotta love dear old Margaret from Sunbury - she just gets things back to basics that only a 90 something year old could.

She rang SEN this morning and Sam Edmund asked her thoughts on tonight's game - her response was 'I'm glad they dropped Fisher, he's been useless over the past two weeks', followed by 'I think our defence may struggle - we miss Jones who's gone to play for another club, the creep' 😂

I'm quite surprised by those figured on Young, I'd have said the same thing about him.

I wonder if it's just a perception based on the types of forwards that do tend to make him look bad, i.e. physical forwards who like to engage ala Walker and Fogarty, so when he gets beaten by those types it looks bad, but to forwards who are a bit more finesse he wins the contests.
So was I, I think it may also be the dude is just very “vanilla”. To be clear Im not potting him, he just doesn’t seem to move or do anything in a “dynamic” way. It’s always pretty controlled regardless what he’s doing.

1. Weitering has the scope to play as an interceptor, he is better than just a lockdown defender. Sam Durdin could come in and lock down, Weitering has far more strings to his bow and should be better utilised imo. Think it can be a gradual transition though, just certain periods of games where he swaps opponents and focuses more on marking and distribution.
2. "Can't judge the ball in flight and has poor positional awareness" is actually describing why TDK is not a good forward. Defenders get led to the ball and it's far easier for them to impact, how many times have we seen the 'failed forward becomes solid KPD' scenario? Simply, it's a hell of a lot easier to play KPD than KPF. Reckon TDK will make a good defender one day but I can't see it being at Carlton.
Good points! And King was suggesting TDK and Young help each other out, but Sam Durdin may be the answer.

Somewhat true, but it's still about output. Fisher has been largely ineffective this year, but still has better output than Honey.

I don't mind Fisher being dropped, and Honey being backed in, as Honey would have more impact if he can increase his touches and there is a long way to go in the season

Owies, Cotts will press for that spot. If, big if, would be Cuners staying on the park, he has all the traits to take that role
Honey is inexperienced. You can see the improvement game on game. That's why you accept the lower output, because he's got to get that experience somehow. And his output at this early stage isn't where he'll be after another 25 games or so.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vossy mixed it up through the middle and around the contest last week regarding making sure there was plenty of leg speed and it paid dividends.
Need to follow that blue print this week and rest of the year.

I feel like honey is slowly building so happy that we’ve persisted there.

Motts needs to come in and a be a lot more elusive than he has in previous weeks.

I’m quietly confident for tonight

Go baggers

Context of discussion was that Fisher has been dropped and will find it difficult to get back in the side medium and long term. Comments on form this season is very much in context.

It's not that he's actively terrible it's that we must have 5-10 players who could do exactly that and more in the same spot. I'll admit i have a blindspot now with fisher, i can't see past him as a mediocre footballer.

we moved on newnes and SPS, both capable of performing in an AFL team, both capable of looking good when the team around them is on, neither able to impact the game individually. He's in this memory hole for me and it's going to take a sustained run of games with goals, tackles and effort to get out.

A lot of angst can be left aside - if people realised/accepted that the coaching group aren't clueless and don't have knee-jerk reactions to players. All of the omitted, managed whatever you want to call it players maybe with the exception of Kennedy ( who was trialed as a HBFer because they want him in the team) have had ample opportunity to state their cases - as have players elevated. Good to see no player dropped straight away - selection integrity has been there all year. Personally I like the strategy of like for like replacement for players who can concentrate on playing their roles in VFL and push for inclusion in AFL - knowing that if/when they come in at least they will be playing familiar territory- a marked change from previous regimes who played 'names'.

It's not that he's actively terrible it's that we must have 5-10 players who could do exactly that and more in the same spot. I'll admit i have a blindspot now with fisher, i can't see past him as a mediocre footballer.

we moved on newnes and SPS, both capable of performing in an AFL team, both capable of looking good when the team around them is on, neither able to impact the game individually. He's in this memory hole for me and it's going to take a sustained run of games with goals, tackles and effort to get out.

Just need the Fisher who is more interested in this:

1683258776137.jpeg

And this:

carlton blues fish GIF by Carlton Football Club

And this:

Carlton Fc Fish GIF by Carlton Football Club

And less interested in this:

carlton blues celebration GIF by Carlton Football Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back