Preview 2024 Rd 4 (Gather Round) Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday April 6 - 4.20PM (AEDT) @ Adelaide Oval - Team stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Brodie Kemp
OUT: Caleb Marchbank (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Corey DurdinMatthew OwiesMatthew Cottrell
Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLachlan Cowan

Carlton have used Weitering to cover up for gross mismanagement as far as finding a reliable big bodied stopper goes. Simple as that. Where Weitering would for Carlton a better Stewart/Lever/Moore- we have wasted his talent forcing him to be a 'just' a stopper in the main.

That has been my opinion from the get go - since Bolton decided to repurpose Weitering into a big bodied stopper - in favour of Marchbank - absolutely ridiculous fail in my books. We are lucky the club forked out pick 8 for Saad and it looks like McGovern and Williams may play more than they wont - fingers crossed - and Newman has developed into a really smart capable player.
The biggest hiccup we had was when Jones 'retired' during covid, and we ended up losing him to the Dogs. Him and Weiters worked brilliantly together as the big boppers in our back half. We've been trying to plug that gap ever since.

Out of necessity, Kemp will likely come in for Marchbank

Moir might debut in Adelaide, but unlikely

Don't think any of the other listed players running around yesterday in the VFL will come in or are ready (with the exception of Cincotta if required)

While Ollie has been slightly off this year, he would rack up a ton of touches at VFL level, more than Binns

I wouldn't describe him as slow though - even carrying 10 kilos more than he should be.

Not slow. Just wasn't considered to be a tall defender built for taking on fast leading tall forwards. That was even before he bulked up.

His ability to use his body and shift his opponent is fantastic. We know that his body type is made for putting on size. His massive thighs are all his and are why he can't be shifted.

I don't think one on one defenders are dour, not all of them at least. We saw last night he left his opponent and made contests as well, and when he gets it, his ball use is fantastic.

I see Jacob as a bit of a hybrid. Can lock down on the most dangerous forward or can switch it up and play an intercept role. I wouldn't be bringing in a lesser player to lock down, just so we can make him an intercept player purely. I feel much more confident with Weiters on that last line.

Moore pretty much plays on the best forward every week (although doesnt usually pay much respect 😂) . Do does Taylor. So does May. All these guys are elite because they stop their man and intercept. If they can intercept and stop their man so can Weitering. In fact he was doing it better then any of them last year so don't see why we would change his role.

It's a misconception that alot of these guys are allowed to play free. They are just so good at reading the play that it looks like it.

The only one of the top key defenders who often doesn't take the best forward is Andrews. But they have Payne who is a really good key defender in his own right. Frampton actually played on Andrews in the grand final as a negator.
Not true about Moore

Not disagreeing in that Weiters could be the best floating defender in the comp which may unlock some more offensive ability, but the best defender in the comp, Sam Taylor, plays the exact same role as Weiters does for us and has no issues impacting games. Neither does Weiters when he's up and going.

Now do Stewart & Sicily. There are always opposite examples.

I've seen Weitering play as third up and has been brilliant and IMO would add so much to our side

Now do Stewart & Sicily. There are always opposite examples.

I've seen Weitering play as third up and has been brilliant and IMO would add so much to our side
Totally different players, Stewart and Sicily aren't KPDs. More like Docherty pre ACL's as superb marking half backs.

The biggest hiccup we had was when Jones 'retired' during covid, and we ended up losing him to the Dogs. Him and Weiters worked brilliantly together as the big boppers in our back half. We've been trying to plug that gap ever since.

Exactly. Big loss. Their combination was the perfect scenario as they could both zone off at stages. Bit like May & Lever

How many 'stoppers' around the competition can lock a good KPF down as well as Weiters though? It's Gov and Kemp that we need to get to the elite level imo, Weiters impacts games massively in the role he already plays.

Not relevant to my comments. Weitering could be a gun forward as well but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about

Not sure I agree with this idea that we've turned Weiters into 'just' a stopper.

I know it's not all about stats, but Weiters certainly had his fair share of intercepts last year: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2023&rt=LT&pt=&st=IT&mg=1
He spends a lot of his Time halving contests with oppo bulls.

He’s great at it - but it does come at the cost of the other side of his game.
Moore pretty much plays on the best forward every week (although doesnt usually pay much respect 😂) . Do does Taylor. So does May. All these guys are elite because they stop their man and intercept. If they can intercept and stop their man so can Weitering. In fact he was doing it better then any of them last year so don't see why we would change his role.

It's a misconception that alot of these guys are allowed to play free. They are just so good at reading the play that it looks like it.

The only one of the top key defenders who often doesn't take the best forward is Andrews. But they have Payne who is a really good key defender in his own right. Frampton actually played on Andrews in the grand final as a negator.
The Payne/Andrews example is a case in point. Payne holds down FB and Andrew’s can monster the HB line.

May & Lever do a great job. Maybe Weiters and Gov could become that proficient given more time.

Moore struggling on his own while forced to defend more.

Having another tall to lock down would increase our flexibility (& depth).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex Pearce is an ALDI brand Darcy Moore. H and Charles won't have any issues getting past him.

Its the midfield and half forwards that we need to worry about imo. Switkowski, Frederick and Walters are very good footballers when they're on song.
It's obvious you've not watched a Freo game this season. Pearce along with Taylor are the best tall backs this season.

While Ollie has been slightly off this year, he would rack up a ton of touches at VFL level, more than Binns
I don't get to see any VFL games, but I am not sure Binns will make it at AFL level. He is a great VFL player, just not sure his game translates well into AFL level. He would have to become like an Ed Langdon, someone with suspect kicking that just runs all day and defends well these days.

I don't get to see any VFL games, but I am not sure Binns will make it at AFL level. He is a great VFL player, just not sure his game translates well into AFL level. He would have to become like an Ed Langdon, someone with suspect kicking that just runs all day and defends well these days.

Binns will play at the next level, just don't believe it will be this year

It's obvious you've not watched a Freo game this season. Pearce along with Taylor are the best tall backs this season.
I've watched every game this season thank you, I've just thought his opponents have been horrendous during those games. Brisbane without Neale looked insipid, North were good for a quarter and a half where the goals were flowing freely through Freo's defense and Adelaide looked like Wooden Spooners for much of last night with Tex looking a shell of himself.

If he comes out and dominates H and Charlie I'll obviously give him his kudos but from what I've watched I'm not worried about Pearce in the slightest. I'd be much more wary of Taylor, Liam Jones, Tom McCartin this season on exposed form.

Jonesy had exceptional closing speed for his height, unlike our other KPD's.
Lemmy is the one on our list that comes close, but he's gotta improve his defensive stuff, doesn't look like developing into a dangerous KPF to me.

I think you want to stop either Serong of Young more than Brayshaw.
Brayshaw and Serong are accumulators, neither hurt you by foot or on the scoreboard. Great players but not really overly damaging. They'll probably win a lot of ball but largely be nullified of clean ball by our bigger bodies in Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Carroll. Young is the one to put the time into. Shut him down as well as Clark off half back and you reduce their inside 50 efficiency and potency.

Trying to take my Carlton glasses off for a second and analyze this matchup properly..
We have the advantage in our forward line. Can't see them containing both Harry and Charlie if our big boys keep up their run of good form. Pearce has been in surprisingly good form this year but he's out of his depth if we give our big blokes a good look with fast ball movement and good delivery. Amiss is their best forward and is a huge talent but it's hard to see him, Taberner, and Treacy causing us too many headaches or ripping a game away from us. Their midfield is their biggest strength but I think they often struggle against our bigger bodied mids. Neutralize their mids and we should win this game reasonably comfortably with the fire power we have.. Adelaide Oval hoodoo aside.

Exactly. Big loss. Their combination was the perfect scenario as they could both zone off at stages. Bit like May & Lever
It also had the flow on effect forcing us to re-engineer Gov as a full time defender to cover the deficiencies post Jones. He's doing a great job back there, but how handy would he be right now as the 3rd marking forward next to H and Charles.

Good luck to anyone trying to defend against that lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back