Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in NY and haven’t watched the game yet, but going by everything I read here and reading the match report it sounds like a very ugly win. Many of us sound very upset - many expected a big win (myself included) - but, at the end of the day a win is a win, and let’s not forget that we play his game on a six-day break from a very physically and emotionally exhausting game in Brisbane in very humid conditions. Everything considered we did well to walk away with a win and no injuries. A narrow win is better than a narrow loss or draw. We will regroup and reset over the next 2 weeks and hopefully start getting our stars back.
I never expected a big win, Richmond were always going to get up for us, huge loss last week, experienced ins, older players who know how to win.

expected us to get a three goal lead in the third and then hold them at arms length

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this post is objectively one of the worst I've ever read.

Big O and Nank's hitout average was 4th and 5th in the league last year. TDK beat Nank for hitouts tonight and was almost level with O last week. He beat Oscar for hitout to advantage % last week too. That's a pretty solid starting point.
You need to use your eyes, teddy.

Nankervis didn't beat him for taps because he didn't go for them. He sat under the ball drop, his ribs, shoulder and hips between TDK and the descending ball, and tried to take it straight out of the ruck. He did this full in the knowledge that TDK wasn't willing to do what it took to move him.
He would normally have nailed that first set shot and would have had 2 goals to go with...
I too can assume things that didn't happen teddy, but I don't let them apply when I'm analysing something.
... it but the goal he did kick gave us the lead. Huge pressure.
Sure.
What a player. Named in the best in most independent reviews I've read and you're ranting about his game?
... one post is a rant?
Maybe take another look at the game / stats / anything.
One of the benefits of posting on a forum is the exposure to different ways to see the things we like. The consequence of that is, you're going to read things you disagree with.

I'm comfortable with what I saw last night and what I think, teddy.

A player can play well and still have limitations or make mistakes. One would think you would know that, given your continued and tiresome derision of specific players in our jumper in years past.

Do we turn Noah Balta into a superstar..?

Made him look like Kouta at his best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was there last night. We were jogging and pressure we poor. Played as Individuals.

It’s early in season and a long way to go but the standard of effort needs to improve.

Keep doing this and you develop bad habits
Agree intensity was conspicuously absent...and we were far too cute at times, but weirdly we stuck tackles as well as I have ever seen. Set the tone early on Dusty, earned ample htb frees, probably should have had another half dozen called but dropping the ball seems to be a-ok now.

The Hewett suplex on Nankervis was a particular favourite.

Last edited:
If I am concerned, what I am concerned about is Tom De Konning.

Nankervis - to be honest, every single Richmond ruck - treated him with utter contempt tonight. He didn't just assume the space, he stood there and invited Tom to do whatever he wanted. In his position, his ribs were available, his head was available, his knees and groin were available; what does Tom do? Absolutely ******* nothing. He doesn't try and force Nank to do anything different; Nankervis just ******* set up under the ball and ******* grabbed it out of the ruck.

To say that the rule change which removes HTB as an option in that situation is dumb is missing the point. Despite the goal he kicked and his last 10 minutes, Tom got smashed tonight by his refusal to get dirty. He wants the clean tap, the massive leap, the globetrotters play, but there's more to rucking than just tapping the ball.

You need to be willing to hurt your opponent some. At the moment, Tom's a labrador when we need a rottweiler.
Tom is a nice guy and his ruck coach is a nice guy.

I love “ball players” not blokes relying on finding a physical edge to be competitive. But, absolutely get your point about “making them earn it”

Tom remains a developing ruck. It has been a slow process for him with some injury impact as well as Covid and perhaps his laid back nature. He will learn, a few years of cheap shops from opponents does that to you. He brings heaps to the table and still has another couple of layers to add.

Rejoicing that he stood up when he was needed. We have a good one.

4/5 years ago we would try our guts out and the opposition team would put us to the sword in 15 mins open play. After we spent the entire game trying our hardest and butchering it.

Now in slightly a different way, it's the same in reverse. Carlton didnt put in the effort but the Tiger's did. And despite putting in 100% the tigers walk away with nuffin. A joy to behold.

Of course, there is one minor difference; our group is talented individually but carry butchers of the ball/poor decision making. So it is less satisfying than Geelong/Tigers supporters would have had it years ago killing us in 20 mins of footy. We have crazier goal runs but we have the biggest brainfades too. We scrape home in chaos. A nice blend of brilliance, skill, brainfades and terrible kicking.

It's got me thinking. Well, Neale's floor/ceiling in terms of formline vs Cripps is vastly different. Cripps is either elite or slow/terrible while Neale's performance are more evenly spread. Mcgoven has a history of really poor or really good form. So too Young/Kemp. Newman has been up and down from elite to almost being delisted. Cottrell good to woeful. The makeup of our list has many players that have such a big difference between their best and worst. L Jones was another previous great example of this along with Plow-*******-man. Owies the same with his scrub kicks outside 50.

What I'm trying to get at is that...nice win blues . Keep it up.

Agree intensity was conspicuously absent...but weirdly we stuck tackles as well as I have ever seen. Set the tone early on Dusty, earned ample htb frees, probably should have had another half dozen called but dropping the ball seems to be a-ok now.

The Hewett suplex on Nankervis was a particular favourite.
And Newman dropping someone in full flight at half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta is a bit of a meme because Richmond supporters pump him up way too much, but he’s actually a very good player and tough match up. Definitely had a mismatch when up forward.

Everyone who stands next to Lewis Young has a mismatch. The dude looks like a giraffe on roller skates.

But if the ball hit Charlie’s boot it was not a free kick. It was a goal.

I think it was perfectly umpired. Efficient and got the right outcome. They deserve some praise for it.

and what happens when they are checking a kick for touched from 50m out and there is a finger nail on someones shoulder? Or you can see someone off the play being held? Or someone kicks the ball off the ground - but it should be kicking in danger?

Kemp will be fine with Weitering beside him. I don’t want to be negative after a win but Young was genuinely shocking, his timidness causes mistakes and brings the players around him down.

Confident we start putting away sides with JW back.
He genuinely got out athletic-d by someone only supposed to play limited minutes too. Out for marchbank next up. larkey will obliterate him

Back