Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be very disappointed if Draper isnt picked. he's clearly at least close and there is more than enough experience around him to look after him. His athletic traits will translate well to AFL, he'll just need the older guys to do some of the thinking for him
Not Hugh Davies? Draper did play well in that West Coast scratchy

Not Hugh Davies? Draper did play well in that West Coast scratchy
They'll play Ryan as the KPD, as a third tall, I'd have Draper a long way ahead and his athleticism will translate nicely. Davies current decision making and disposal is too close to Hughes

Anyone think JOM is a chance to come back in though the backline?

Voss in for Cox and Walker for Worner make sense.
There's a good part of me that thinks Cox forward was a 1-off to get Harris Andrews away from Amiss. It's a tactic Collingwood used in the GF that worked fantastically. There's a good chance it will be the norm when teams play Brisvegas this year.

If that's the case we can go back to a 'standard' set up forward with just the 2 talls: Amiss and Treacy, so we don't necessarily need to replace him with a tall.

Freddy Treacy Switta
Walters Amiss Emmett

Banfield/O'Meara (Simpson?) rolling through there as well.

That's plenty.

Im convinced they’ll play JOM in the role Cox had
Yep.

Either of Draper or Davies to come in for debut. I wasn’t keen at first but I’ve warmed to the idea.

Regardless of outcome for McDonald (and I’m expecting him to be out for a while at the least as he allows for ligament damage to heal) - I’d look at MSD pick for Jacob Blight for 6months. He knows the system being at Peel and built like Marcus Adams.

Yep.

Either of Draper or Davies to come in for debut. I wasn’t keen at first but I’ve warmed to the idea.

Regardless of outcome for McDonald (and I’m expecting him to be out for a while at the least as he allows for ligament damage to heal) - I’d look at MSD pick for Jacob Blight for 6months. He knows the system being at Peel and built like Marcus Adams.
Blight is a fantastic call, plug and play stopper

If the OMac injury is bad, I think we should actually use the state MSD to draft the best state KPD to hold for the season. I know we dont like the short contracts but I dont think we'd have much of a choice. There is still going to be pressure to win games and I think your KPDs being Davies, Ryan and Draper just gets obliterated (and I'm not exactly down on Draper and Davies)
Jacob Blight perhaps.

Edit - oops. Just read someone already mentioned him.

snap

There's a good part of me that thinks Cox forward was a 1-off to get Harris Andrews away from Amiss. It's a tactic Collingwood used in the GF that worked fantastically. There's a good chance it will be the norm when teams play Brisvegas this year.

If that's the case we can go back to a 'standard' set up forward with just the 2 talls: Amiss and Treacy, so we don't necessarily need to replace him with a tall.

Freddy Treacy Switta
Walters Amiss Emmett

That's plenty.
The 'standard' set-up for us has been 3 talls for a while, and across the AFL I think you'll find that either 3 talls and 1 ruck or 2 talls and 2 rucks (which often structurally mean one and the same) is more of the rule than the exception.

At times we've left taller medium fwds like Banfield or Sturt to play the 3rd tall role to inconsistent effect, but other than that you'd be hard pressed to find too many occasions recently where we didn't play 3 talls.

Three talks definitely works better. Two talls has a kick on affect right through our forward line

Yeah and I think the key to this is that none of Treacy, Cox or Amiss (or Jackson when he's in there) are really lumbering. Tabs as one of the three I worry about, how much pressure do you lose?

I would bring in Draper, Voss and Walker as direct replacement for all 3 injured parties.

Why did Omeara get pulled out? Will he be fit this weekend?

Umfortunetly it makes a lot of sense for Young to go back and Omeara to take his role in the midfield. Young to Ryan's role, Ryan to Omacs role.

Yeah and I think the key to this is that none of Treacy, Cox or Amiss (or Jackson when he's in there) are really lumbering. Tabs as one of the three I worry about, how much pressure do you lose?

I would bring in Draper, Voss and Walker as direct replacement for all 3 injured parties.
Yeah as long as Voss can impose himself aerially in the contest it would work OK. The fact that Voss is also conversant with playing back would be an added bonus if things get ugly down there. Gives some flexibility. Draper used to be a forward so if a swap was needed we could cover it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did Omeara get pulled out? Will he be fit this weekend?

Umfortunetly it makes a lot of sense for Young to go back and Omeara to take his role in the midfield. Young to Ryan's role, Ryan to Omacs role.
Unfortunately it does make sense. Youngs performance in the middle seems to have gone a little unheralded though. He was very good and important.

As is always the case, away games are very difficult and even North will prove a handful - so this is a long way from a gimme. Being at Docklands, we definitely don't want to go too tall. If Ryan plays tall to cover Oscar then we will need another small - here's hoping Walker is up to it, as bringing Cox in too soon didn't exactly work out well. Draper is a third tall could work well given he is reportedly nimble and fast. Up forward we could consider going not as tall at Docklands - replace Cox with say JOM.

If we can do to the Roos midfield like we did with Brissy, then we are in with a show.

Freddy Treacy Switta
Walters Amiss Emmett

That's plenty.

The problem is when Jackson goes to the bench for a rest and Treacy goes into the ruck, we only have one tall forward (Amiss). They will play Tabs or Voss this week, but I reckon Tabs as a known quantity

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As is always the case, away games are very difficult and even North will prove a handful - so this is a long way from a gimme. Being at Docklands, we definitely don't want to go too tall. If Ryan plays tall to cover Oscar then we will need another small - here's hoping Walker is up to it, as bringing Cox in too soon didn't exactly work out well. Draper is a third tall could work well given he is reportedly nimble and fast. Up forward we could consider going not as tall at Docklands - replace Cox with say JOM.

If we can do to the Roos midfield like we did with Brissy, then we are in with a show.
it's a good opportunity for those pushing for a spot in the side

Unfortunately it does make sense. Youngs performance in the middle seems to have gone a little unheralded though. He was very good and important.

It makes zero sense IMO.

Young is instrumental to our midfield performance and to take him out in any respect would be silly. I think the move of Banfield back on the weekend shows that JL and the staff are pretty reluctant to make that move and can see Youngs importance in the mid group.

The key defenders for North are a weakness. A strong mark might look like a superstar.

If it's about structure replace Cox with Voss.

If we identify that forward pressure is especially effective then playing a smaller pressure player might have a higher net result.
So there's a faint chance we can do a massive beating in North?

I remember the last time North Melbourne has injuries, especially to their defenders vs Freo, round 1 2019.

Kicked at least 20 goals that day. Cam McCarthy kicked 5.

It makes zero sense IMO.

Young is instrumental to our midfield performance and to take him out in any respect would be silly. I think the move of Banfield back on the weekend shows that JL and the staff are pretty reluctant to make that move and can see Youngs importance in the mid group.
I wouldn't do it, but there is some logic to it. Get some time into a young defender imo or use Voss if he has shown anything as a backman in recent years. He is more physically ready. But Draper has looked ok as a third tall type in the pre season.

Back