News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As if we needed any more confirmation that our leadership is lacking, check out the quote at 04:33mins:

"...and for some of the younger guys to be some of our most professional..."

There it is.

Great, of course that our young guys are so professional, but what does it say about the senior players that some greenhorn who's been in the system for a fraction of the time has already overtaken them in terms of professionalism?

And what does it say about a club that has developed those senior players?

To be clear, whether they've been at the club their whole career, or been traded in from other clubs at a later stage, these senior players SHOULD BE showing the youngsters the way, pulling the squad toward a common goal. But no, they're being beaten on professionalism by kids.

And granted, it's not like there's not many "younger players" in the squad so you'd expect by sheer number for some to be right up there, but once again, one thing you do expect from a player with years more experience in the system is professionalism.

Massive red flag imo and I would expect these players to be quickly turned over until we get ones prepared to get serious, because without that, we're going nowhere as an AFL club.

Take crouch and Gresham out of the team I think we probably should go backward. Crouch was awesome for us last year and gresh is fun on his day. There is no easy fix unfortunately
Short memories. Gresh was the absolute whipping boy of the fans last year but now we go backward without him?

Crouch yes, but if were relying on a 30yo to turn round our midfield then we are utterly cooked.

It’s an odd thing to come out and say 2 weeks after Pou signs a long term contract with the Saints under Ross and the numerous interviews where he’s gone on record as praising RTB. Strange.
No, Phillipou has two managers.

One to do his contract stuff and for some weird reason another to do his endorsements (must be overwhelmed with offers)

This was his "endorsements" manager.

No, Phillipou has two managers.

One to do his contract stuff and for some weird reason another to do his endorsements (must be overwhelmed with offers)

This was his "endorsements" manager.

I wouldn't say weird, less pressure and no real overlap between the two, rather smart for a kid to go that route early doors.

So one can deal almost exclusively with the AFL architecture, clubs, AFL house, player managers, media and etc.
One can be the social butterfly, dip fingers into the AFL, but otherwise, party it up, mingle, sell what the client can do for you if only you give them money!

Completely different worlds in some regards, need completely different skills, so, grab two people and split it for ease of making agreements with a great many entities.

I wouldn't say weird, less pressure and no real overlap between the two, rather smart for a kid to go that route early doors.

So one can deal almost exclusively with the AFL architecture, clubs, AFL house, player managers, media and etc.
One can be the social butterfly, dip fingers into the AFL, but otherwise, party it up, mingle, sell what the client can do for you if only you give them money!

Completely different worlds in some regards, need completely different skills, so, grab two people and split it for ease of making agreements with a great many entities.
Probably right.

Although his Contract manager probably spent a total of a day working out with SOS that we would pay Phillipou $300k a year for the next couple of years then sat back, pulled out a big cigar and went the full Mattias Cormann on budget night.

Good job if you can get it.

does anyone have access? want to find out more about this guy who we could possibly draft in the MSD now that JVE is inactive

does anyone have access? want to find out more about this guy who we could possibly draft in the MSD now that JVE is inactive
1715675932031.png

Nup but got this from the herald-sun. Check out the 1%ers.

A week earlier below..

29th April - We maintained our pressure through the fourth with only one fit player on the bench, which was a really gritty effort. Our skipper Harry HILL was exceptional, while Max BENIER controlled our defence across half-back.”

View attachment 1989056

A week earlier below..

29th April - We maintained our pressure through the fourth with only one fit player on the bench, which was a really gritty effort. Our skipper Harry HILL was exceptional, while Max BENIER controlled our defence across half-back.”
We arnt taking another half backer are we?
How tall is this guy ?

View attachment 1989056

A week earlier below..

Hmm, seems like a full back/third tall. If he is a decent full back, Benier Wilkie Dougs def and Battle King Hayes fwd could be the plan. Probably getting ahead of myself though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t really a criticism he just said he’s concerned about Max’s lack of forward craft and that he doesn’t really have much if his run and jump is taken away.

St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt criticises Max King’s lack of forward craft as form slumps​

The Saints are struggling to both score and win, and a former champion says their issues start with a lack of forward cohesion, starting with the form of their spearhead, Max King.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has criticised Max King’s lack of forward craft amid claims he looks like a “sad footballer”.
King’s production has spiralled since he suffered a knee injury in Round 6 with the Saints champion averaging 7.5 touches and 1.5 goals a game over his past two outings.

It has coincided with a move to a deeper forward position after starting the season in better form moving higher up the ground.

While the shift to the goal square could be in part to help lessen the pressure on his knee after the GWS setback, he has struggled to have an impact recently in his fifth season.

King, 23, has polled only three AFL Coaches Association votes in the Round 2 win over Collingwood, but is eager to lift to help snap the Saints’ form slump against Fremantle at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

King and the Saints are failing to fire. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

The Saints have scored more than 80 points only twice this season including over last-placed North Melbourne a fortnight ago.

Riewoldt, who is one of the Saints’ greatest players after a glittering 336-match career, said the pressure on the club was “absolutely justified” and was adamant King had “another really disappointing performance”.

Riewoldt said King had to work on multiple ways to hit the scoreboard, even when the delivery wasn’t perfect.

“They have had some close losses yes, but so far it has been a really disappointing season and for me it is the lack of cohesion up forward that I think is absolutely killing them,” Riewoldt said on Footy Talk.

“I’m concerned about his (King’s) lack of (forward) craft and ability to find a way when players are either taking his run or sealing him in to get on the end of it.

“You do rely at times on good ball movement but I guess there are also times when you have just got to find a way to get in a position and make it easy for the kicker.”

DEMISE OF THE KING?​

First 3 GamesLast 3 GamesDifference
Disposals15.36.3-9.0
Marks7.31.7-5.6
Contested Marks2.31.0-1.3
Goals2.01.0-1.0
Score Involvements9.02.7-6.3

MAX KING'S DISPOSAL LOCATION​

First 3 GamesLast 3 Games
Midfield %50%32%
Forward 50 %50%68%

The Saints took King at pick four ahead of Port Adelaide’s Connor Rozee at pick five and Gold Coast’s Ben King at pick six in the 2018 national draft.

When the Suns picked Ben King, the Saints posted on social media “Ben, if you ever want to come home” with a wink emoji and a picture of the brothers together.

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said King’s body language was a concern this season.

“He’s a frustrating player,” Cornes said on SEN.

“He’s got to come out of himself. He’s got to show more energy. He looks sad.

“He plays football sad. He’s got his shoulders slumped. He never expresses himself.

“I’d love to see him show a bit more and that will in turn lift his teammates around him and his own performance.”

St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt criticises Max King’s lack of forward craft as form slumps​

The Saints are struggling to both score and win, and a former champion says their issues start with a lack of forward cohesion, starting with the form of their spearhead, Max King.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has criticised Max King’s lack of forward craft amid claims he looks like a “sad footballer”.
King’s production has spiralled since he suffered a knee injury in Round 6 with the Saints champion averaging 7.5 touches and 1.5 goals a game over his past two outings.

It has coincided with a move to a deeper forward position after starting the season in better form moving higher up the ground.

While the shift to the goal square could be in part to help lessen the pressure on his knee after the GWS setback, he has struggled to have an impact recently in his fifth season.

King, 23, has polled only three AFL Coaches Association votes in the Round 2 win over Collingwood, but is eager to lift to help snap the Saints’ form slump against Fremantle at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

The Saints have scored more than 80 points only twice this season including over last-placed North Melbourne a fortnight ago.

Riewoldt, who is one of the Saints’ greatest players after a glittering 336-match career, said the pressure on the club was “absolutely justified” and was adamant King had “another really disappointing performance”.

Riewoldt said King had to work on multiple ways to hit the scoreboard, even when the delivery wasn’t perfect.

“They have had some close losses yes, but so far it has been a really disappointing season and for me it is the lack of cohesion up forward that I think is absolutely killing them,” Riewoldt said on Footy Talk.

“I’m concerned about his (King’s) lack of (forward) craft and ability to find a way when players are either taking his run or sealing him in to get on the end of it.

“You do rely at times on good ball movement but I guess there are also times when you have just got to find a way to get in a position and make it easy for the kicker.”

DEMISE OF THE KING?​

First 3 GamesLast 3 GamesDifference
Disposals15.36.3-9.0
Marks7.31.7-5.6
Contested Marks2.31.0-1.3
Goals2.01.0-1.0
Score Involvements9.02.7-6.3

MAX KING'S DISPOSAL LOCATION​

First 3 GamesLast 3 Games
Midfield %50%32%
Forward 50 %50%68%

The Saints took King at pick four ahead of Port Adelaide’s Connor Rozee at pick five and Gold Coast’s Ben King at pick six in the 2018 national draft.

When the Suns picked Ben King, the Saints posted on social media “Ben, if you ever want to come home” with a wink emoji and a picture of the brothers together.

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said King’s body language was a concern this season.

“He’s a frustrating player,” Cornes said on SEN.

“He’s got to come out of himself. He’s got to show more energy. He looks sad.

“He plays football sad. He’s got his shoulders slumped. He never expresses himself.

“I’d love to see him show a bit more and that will in turn lift his teammates around him and his own performance.”

Well from that data there's only one conclusion - play King at CHF and Hayes/Caminiti out of the goal square.

Well from that data there's only one conclusion - play King at CHF and Hayes/Caminiti out of the goal square.
Yep. His knee must not be right. They can't have left him plonked deep fwd based on those stats and everyone's collective eyesight. Hopefully it is coming good for all of our sakes.

Without having read it , why doesn’t Roo put his money where his mouth is and come and mentor him?
Nick never had to come in be the main man from day dot.
Why are we so protective of Max King!? I just don't understand it. Nothing he has done warrants the admiration and excuses made for him.
He has been on the list 6 years. He is hugely inconsistent and often broken. Hardly the main man.
Riewoldt after 6 years was at least consistently good, progressing year on year to become one of the most dominant forwards of the modern era. In fact in his fifth year he captained the club, and in the previous year led the comp for marks, as well as finishing in the top 10 in the Brownlow and Coleman. I know they're very different players, but seriously...what the f*CK has Max done?
Max's best season so far has been a 50 goal season where the ball was kicked to him around a million times. Any bigger sized forward from any club with the same number of limbs would have kicked the same, or better...even with our s*it disposal.
He is presently tracking worse than Josh Bruce as a Full Forward...with less forward craft.
Higgins has been arguably better and more consistent and I think has topped our goal kicking just as many times, without being used anywhere near as much. Even if he hasn't and i'm wrong, at least he leads and can take a mark over his head.
There's been people on this thread that have said that it's not Max Kings job to chase, as defender after opposition defender runs off him as he stands like lurch with a face on him like a wet dog sucking a wasp. He can't lay a tackle despite his arms being 10 feet long.
WTF?
ENOUGH...seriously.
If Riewoldt says that Max isn't good enough, it should be heeded.
I for one hope that Max is listening.

Yep. His knee must not be right. They can't have left him plonked deep fwd based on those stats and everyone's collective eyesight. Hopefully it is coming good for all of our sakes.
If his knee isn't right and doesn't allow him to get up the field around chf/wing then he shouldn't be playing.

Play Hayes and Caminiti instead - can't be any worse and at least they'll be mobile enough to give us a contest on long outlet kicks.

Why are we so protective of Max King!? I just don't understand it. Nothing he has done warrants the admiration and excuses made for him.
He has been on the list 6 years. He is hugely inconsistent and often broken. Hardly the main man.
Riewoldt after 6 years was at least consistently good, progressing year on year to become one of the most dominant forwards of the modern era. In fact in his fifth year he captained the club, and in the previous year led the comp for marks, as well as finishing in the top 10 in the Brownlow and Coleman. I know they're very different players, but seriously...what the f*CK has Max done?
Max's best season so far has been a 50 goal season where the ball was kicked to him around a million times. Any bigger sized forward from any club with the same number of limbs would have kicked the same, or better...even with our s*it disposal.
He is presently tracking worse than Josh Bruce as a Full Forward...with less forward craft.
Higgins has been arguably better and more consistent and I think has topped our goal kicking just as many times, without being used anywhere near as much. Even if he hasn't and i'm wrong, at least he leads and can take a mark over his head.
There's been people on this thread that have said that it's not Max Kings job to chase, as defender after opposition defender runs off him as he stands like lurch with a face on him like a wet dog sucking a wasp. He can't lay a tackle despite his arms being 10 feet long.
WTF?
ENOUGH...seriously.
If Riewoldt says that Max isn't good enough, it should be heeded.
I for one hope that Max is listening.

Tend to half agree, but I do think half the problem is his body size.

He is insanely tall, but he is built like a basketballer.

People with these types of bodies do not fill out until they are close to 30.

That is exactly why you wait until a ruckman is closer to 30 before you even consider offloading him to another club.

Give King a bit more time please.

I know. Why the **** is rtb so ****en reluctant to change things up.
This isn’t the nineties anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back