News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we so protective of Max King!? I just don't understand it. Nothing he has done warrants the admiration and excuses made for him.
He has been on the list 6 years. He is hugely inconsistent and often broken. Hardly the main man.
Riewoldt after 6 years was at least consistently good, progressing year on year to become one of the most dominant forwards of the modern era. In fact in his fifth year he captained the club, and in the previous year led the comp for marks, as well as finishing in the top 10 in the Brownlow and Coleman. I know they're very different players, but seriously...what the f*CK has Max done?
Max's best season so far has been a 50 goal season where the ball was kicked to him around a million times. Any bigger sized forward from any club with the same number of limbs would have kicked the same, or better...even with our s*it disposal.
He is presently tracking worse than Josh Bruce as a Full Forward...with less forward craft.
Higgins has been arguably better and more consistent and I think has topped our goal kicking just as many times, without being used anywhere near as much. Even if he hasn't and i'm wrong, at least he leads and can take a mark over his head.
There's been people on this thread that have said that it's not Max Kings job to chase, as defender after opposition defender runs off him as he stands like lurch with a face on him like a wet dog sucking a wasp. He can't lay a tackle despite his arms being 10 feet long.
WTF?
ENOUGH...seriously.
If Riewoldt says that Max isn't good enough, it should be heeded.
I for one hope that Max is listening.
Because the criticism of him after just a couple of poor to average games is so far above reasonable its absurd and at this point is just sinking the boots in.

There was **** all admiration for him to fight his way back from injury last year and have an incredibly good contribution to the club, even being one of the few guys to really perform well in the final, but as soon as he even looks like having bad form every single ****wit and his dog comes out to shit on him. People on this forum are no better, the pages of discussion about him off only the last several weeks has been pretty bad.

Youre just as bad going on about a 203cm lumbering forwards tackling numbers. Youre now just making excuses to shit on him and then fluster yourself about the same rhetorical captilaised question you just asked.

Except he isnt? King was doing exactly that the first few rounds then injured his knee which has obviously hampered him, requiring a role change.
So if his knee is that bad we had to change his position should he even be playing? It obviously hasn’t worked and probably causing him more damage both physically and up top.

Fisher jailed for 3 years New
Former St Kilda star Sam Fisher jailed for three years for drug trafficking

Former St Kilda star Sam Fisher will spend the next three years behind bars for his role in a cross country drug trafficking saga that saw him ship more than 1kg of drugs interstate.

Dressed in a grey suit, an emotional Fisher, 41, learned his fate at the County Court on Thursday, waving goodbye to his parents and giving barrister Dermot Dann KC a departing hug before he was taken away by prison authorities.

The ex-St Kilda defender previously pleaded guilty to six drug related charges including trafficking 996g meth, 82g cocaine and GHB as well as possessing drugs.

In May 2022 police seized 1kg of drugs he shipped to WA in an oven rangehood, before finding more than 1800g of 1,4-Butanediol, 9g of meth and LSD during a raid at his Sandringham home.

Fisher’s co-accused Julien Morvan – who organised the shipment of the drugs – was jailed for six years in Western Australia after pleading guilty to similar charges in 2023.

Judge Gerard Mullaly said a “more severe sentence” for Fisher who played a “lesser role” in the plot would be “of unequal justice”.

“A sentence longer than that of Morvan would give a serious sense of grievance and undermine the quality of justice,” he said.

Fisher had previously blamed a daily meth and GHB addiction combined with debilitating injuries and the loss of his job, for causing his life to spiral out of control.

Two weeks ago His Honour granted him bail so that he could “do what (he) needed to do” mental health wise before being sentenced.

Judge Mullaly said Fisher had taken “enormous steps towards rehabilitation”.

“You are a long way from the daily drug taker of 2022,” he said.

“You have well and truly moved to reversing what was an out of character episode in your life.”

The court received many positive character references for Fisher, including one from the founders of event platform “Good Blokes Society” who described him as “demonstrating remarkable courage and honesty … his willingness to speak candidly about his experiences has served as a valuable lesson to those facing similar struggles.”

Fisher was sentenced to five years and four months jail and will be eligible for parole after three years.

He has previously served 48 days in custody.

Judge Mullaly said he hoped Fisher would be “released on parole” to allow him to return to care for his family.

“Your pending incarceration would cause difficulties for (your family). This concern will make jail harder,” he said.

The former Saint played 228 games for the club between 2004 and 2016 where he won two best-and-fairest awards and earned all-Australian selection in 2008.
Good to see Sam taking responsibility and getting back on the right path

Without having read it , why doesn’t Roo put his money where his mouth is and come and mentor him?
Nick never had to come in be the main man from day dot.
Nick didn't exactly do a good job developing/mentoring anyone under him when he was playing.

Probably best he stays away and lets those with the skill to develop players do the job.

Because the criticism of him after just a couple of poor to average games is so far above reasonable its absurd and at this point is just sinking the boots in.

There was heck all admiration for him to fight his way back from injury last year and have an incredibly good contribution to the club, even being one of the few guys to really perform well in the final, but as soon as he even looks like having bad form every single ******* and his dog comes out to s**t on him. People on this forum are no better, the pages of discussion about him off only the last several weeks has been pretty bad.

Youre just as bad going on about a 203cm lumbering forwards tackling numbers. Youre now just making excuses to s**t on him and then fluster yourself about the same rhetorical captilaised question you just asked.

Imagine being Bonner then. Had one abysmal game and everyone hates him. Probably top 6 in our best and fairest right now and one of the few wins we've had this year and people demand his delisting or demotion every week.

Tend to half agree, but I do think half the problem is his body size.

He is insanely tall, but he is built like a basketballer.

People with these types of bodies do not fill out until they are close to 30.

That is exactly why you wait until a ruckman is closer to 30 before you even consider offloading him to another club.

Give King a bit more time please.

That's where I see it also, mentioned it with Stanley previously where you saw him one day and it's tall beanpole with wide shoulders, see him again in a year and there's actual muscle definition there, then we sell him to the Cats.

Mings in that same sort of situation, only, taller and currently slimmer.

There was heck all admiration for him to fight his way back from injury last year and have an incredibly good contribution to the club, even being one of the few guys to really perform well in the final, but as soon as he even looks like having bad form every single ******* and his dog comes out to s**t on him. People on this forum are no better, the pages of discussion about him off only the last several weeks has been pretty bad.

Youre just as bad going on about a 203cm lumbering forwards tackling numbers. Youre now just making excuses to s**t on him and then fluster yourself about the same rhetorical captilaised question you just asked.
What excuses...what part of my post is incorrect?
He is inconsistent, and doesn't have the runs on the board to warrant the hype.
There's a reason as to why he is being criticised. You understand that right?

He's a kid with a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders.

Yes he is inconsistent,yes he gets paid a huge amount of money ... as said he won't develop fully for years.

Give him time, get his body right. He doesn't deserve so much flak.

I read Rooey's autobiography where there was a couple of pages on Stanley. How many premierships does Rhys have now? Rooey sometimes needs to pipe down, words matter and can have consequences.

I just said the excuse you are using. No forward his size is averaging more then just over a tackle a game and whilst I think his numbers arent great its hardly the greatest issue with the way he is playing nor an overally important stat for his position.

The hype as you say is made by a) the media and b) the supporters who are now the ones sticking it to him for not playing to THEIR standards and this is being based on a sample size of so far, three games this year.

Being critical is one thing, filling up a weeks worth of multiple forum threads and entire segments on radio about it for the last week is overboard and is not fair on the player. Surely YOU can understand what level of criticism is fair and measured?

He's a kid with a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders.

Yes he is inconsistent,yes he gets paid a huge amount of money ... as said he won't develop fully for years.

Give him time, get his body right. He doesn't deserve so much flak.

I read Rooey's autobiography where there was a couple of pages on Stanley. How many premierships does Rhys have now? Rooey sometimes needs to pipe down, words matter and can have consequences.
I agree with regards to the pressure he is under. It's way too much. At the same time he has chosen to be a professional in his field.
I also liked your earlier post regarding his build etc. I think you're 100% right. This is why I much prefer him playing up field more, away from goal.
That said, I also don't think he is deserving of a free pass (not that you are saying he deserves one. You've been temperate and considered in your response)...and I will stand by that.
I do believe that our expectations are making many of us blind to the serious limitations in his game when playing full forward. He is not a brand new recruit anymore. There is no excuse for a modern player to not chase or tackle. There has to be questions asked, and rightly so.
If he is underdone, or still injured...then he should be in Sandringham gaining strength and conditioning, or rehabbing.
Presently he is offering very little to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just said the excuse you are using. No forward his size is averaging more then just over a tackle a game and whilst I think his numbers arent great its hardly the greatest issue with the way he is playing nor an overally important stat for his position.

The hype as you say is made by a) the media and b) the supporters who are now the ones sticking it to him for not playing to THEIR standards and this is being based on a sample size of so far, three games this year.

Being critical is one thing, filling up a weeks worth of multiple forum threads and entire segments on radio about it for the last week is overboard and is not fair on the player. Surely YOU can understand what level of criticism is fair and measured?
I do.
At the moment I think it is fair and measured. He is playing as a professional in a professional sport. He has been on the list for 6 years, his lack of accountability and his efforts are not becoming of someone who is being paid to do the job he is paid to do.
At the moment he reminds me of a kid fresh out of an Ivory league college. They have all the right things on paper, but in reality it just doesn't add up. Because no one wants to admit they're wrong the kid keeps getting promoted, failing upwards until there is no where else to hide, and they're deficiencies become glaringly and blatantly obvious.
That's where Max presently sits in the public eye.
It's up to him what happens next.

Dermot said he should get away from the Saints because of Lyon's game plan. Pretty much everyone gave King a drive by today on SEN. Hopefully he responds to pressure by having a massive game.

Dermot said he should get away from the Saints because of Lyon's game plan. Pretty much everyone gave King a drive by today on SEN. Hopefully he responds to pressure by having a massive game.
I don't get it, Lyon has openly said since he arrived that he wants a different game plan with speed. But the old game plan certainly looks in play this year, but he has also come out said that it's all on the players. But why would they want to play so boringly?

I don't get it, Lyon has openly said since he arrived that he wants a different game plan with speed. But the old game plan certainly looks in play this year, but he has also come out said that it's all on the players. But why would they want to play so boringly?
I guess its horses for courses, (or courses for horses here? idk)

We barely hit a target going at a slow pace, playing quick ends up as a team of headless chooks pretty quick if all you can get is meters gained and a turnover for a disposal. We handpass behind players and overcook too many passes to a lead.

That's where I see it also, mentioned it with Stanley previously where you saw him one day and it's tall beanpole with wide shoulders, see him again in a year and there's actual muscle definition there, then we sell him to the Cats.

Mings in that same sort of situation, only, taller and currently slimmer.
+1
Once, this was well known - KPP take time to develop

just hope he finds a way to silence a few tomorrow

I will be absolutely gobsmacked, and not surprised in equal measure if the club has now changed its strategy on how to approach a rebuild by resorting to quick fix solution and indulging in quick fix.

It was only recently that Lyon and club officials were on the record in the media and in the presidents last email to members as saying they are taking the long path, the "hard path" and going to the draft this year and next and then looking to bring FAs in.

If the "cash splash" were something that the club is seriously considering then there will be serious questions asked of Bassett as he would be appearing desperate and all over the shop.

I'm very supportive of the long hard path, we've been down the quick fix path and failed miserably every time.

For now I'm really hoping this is just media gap filler and/or favours for mates at player agencies.

I will be absolutely gobsmacked, and not surprised in equal measure if the club has now changed its strategy on how to approach a rebuild by resorting to quick fix solution and indulging in quick fix.

It was only recently that Lyon and club officials were on the record in the media and in the presidents last email to members as saying they are taking the long path, the "hard path" and going to the draft this year and next and then looking to bring FAs in.

If the "cash splash" were something that the club is seriously considering then there will be serious questions asked of Bassett as he would be appearing desperate and all over the shop.

I'm very supportive of the long hard path, we've been down the quick fix path and failed miserably every time.

For now I'm really hoping this is just media gap filler and/or favours for mates at player agencies.

Of course it's just media filler. It's a bunch of no game fox journalists talking about how we need A grader players a then listing a bunch of C grade, filler types who could be available.

Do you really think we've dropped our 'trade target' list to fox as an exclusive for their Wednesday filler article?

Chased Draper, chased De Goey - chased any number of players over the last few years. Why?

Because its always been part of the strategy.

In fact its every clubs strategy - Draft, trade and buy.

I’m all for throwing cash at gun players in the right demographic. Not a fan of long contracts for obvious reasons, and one of them being the AFL keeps implementing rules that change the game and the efficacy of player types all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back