Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training - Wednesday May 8th.

While it is only Wednesday, and the main session would be friday, I still classify this as a main session too given they would need to pick the 26 players to name tomorrow night, so in that sense I feel it means something.

Blacks;

• Maynard
  • JDaicos
  • Pendles
  • DC
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Sidey
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Reef (turned to white for the match sim)
  • Moore
  • NDaicos
  • Harrison
  • Markov
  • Howe
  • Cox

Whites;

• Lippa (did running while match sim was going on)
  • IQ
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Ryan
  • Bytel (turned to black for match sim)
  • Richards
  • WHE
  • Sullivan
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Parker

Rehab:

• McStay
  • Eyre
  • Jordy
  • Jamie
  • Mihocek

I'm not gonna say Lippa was in rehab, he did most of the drills, but then went to do some running later in the session, so could be a conditioning/management thing.

Checkers did some running, but finished up fairly early. Its still early days for his rehab.
Jordy started running today and was looking fine. So that's a good step to him returning.

Eyre and Mcstay did some running mid season. Josh was involved in a lot of the drills with the boys early on originally before doing some running later on.

Fin played up forward (makes sense given there is a spot available) but he then roams through the midfield.
Kicked 2 goals from a stoppage in the forward line. He was strong in his pressure and tackling. He was applauded by selwood for it.

Harry spent some time in the midfield and bit half back
Allan also spent more time at centre bounce.
He was also getting some 1 v 1 work with some coaches; looking like working on his positioning.
Likewise with Johnson, Jetta was working with him with his positioning down back. But then he spent some time forward as well.. but didn't do too much that I could notice.

Kreuger was imposing, took some marks, then did some running in the rehab group -- but then went back out and finished up the session.

Line ups went as follows:

Pendles, Nick, Crisp (Josh, Bytel wings) Cameron v Allan. DeMattia. Sullivan (Ryan. Schultz wings) Begg

Howe. Cox. Harrision. Fin. Hill. v IQ. Dean. WHE. Parker. Noble.

Richards. Reef. Johnson. Jetta. Kreuger. v Sidey. Moore. Frampton. Markov. Maynard.

It was a decent session, started at 9:40 and ending close to 12pm. Given the VFL is on Saturday, this was basically the main session for those playing VFL, with Friday's session will be more of a less of a captain's run.

They did a drill I hadn't seen before. There was one kicker (Mcstay) having to kick the ball into a space of players, and the said players would be forced to find space, or make space and then lead into the ball.
They also did this in VFL training tonight as well.

Training - Wednesday May 8th.

While it is only Wednesday, and the main session would be friday, I still classify this as a main session too given they would need to pick the 26 players to name tomorrow night, so in that sense I feel it means something.

Blacks;

• Maynard
  • JDaicos
  • Pendles
  • DC
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Sidey
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Reef (turned to white for the match sim)
  • Moore
  • NDaicos
  • Harrison
  • Markov
  • Howe
  • Cox

Whites;

• Lippa (did running while match sim was going on)
  • IQ
  • Schultz
  • Noble
  • DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Ryan
  • Bytel (turned to black for match sim)
  • Richards
  • WHE
  • Sullivan
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Parker

Rehab:

• McStay
  • Eyre
  • Jordy
  • Jamie
  • Mihocek

I'm not gonna say Lippa was in rehab, he did most of the drills, but then went to do some running later in the session, so could be a conditioning/management thing.

Checkers did some running, but finished up fairly early. Its still early days for his rehab.
Jordy started running today and was looking fine. So that's a good step to him returning.

Eyre and Mcstay did some running mid season. Josh was involved in a lot of the drills with the boys early on originally before doing some running later on.

Fin played up forward (makes sense given there is a spot available) but he then roams through the midfield.
Kicked 2 goals from a stoppage in the forward line. He was strong in his pressure and tackling. He was applauded by selwood for it.

Harry spent some time in the midfield and bit half back
Allan also spent more time at centre bounce.
He was also getting some 1 v 1 work with some coaches; looking like working on his positioning.
Likewise with Johnson, Jetta was working with him with his positioning down back. But then he spent some time forward as well.. but didn't do too much that I could notice.

Kreuger was imposing, took some marks, then did some running in the rehab group -- but then went back out and finished up the session.

Line ups went as follows:

Pendles, Nick, Crisp (Josh, Bytel wings) Cameron v Allan. DeMattia. Sullivan (Ryan. Schultz wings) Begg

Howe. Cox. Harrision. Fin. Hill. v IQ. Dean. WHE. Parker. Noble.

Richards. Reef. Johnson. Jetta. Kreuger. v Sidey. Moore. Frampton. Markov. Maynard.

It was a decent session, started at 9:40 and ending close to 12pm. Given the VFL is on Saturday, this was basically the main session for those playing VFL, with Friday's session will be more of a less of a captain's run.

They did a drill I hadn't seen before. There was one kicker (Mcstay) having to kick the ball into a space of players, and the said players would be forced to find space, or make space and then lead into the ball.
They also did this in VFL training tonight as well.

Were TJ an Carmichael there?

Last edited:
I like that they’re putting Fin forward. He played his bottom age year of u18’s as a small forward, and he started his career on a forward flank and looked good delivering the ball inside 50 early days. I don’t buy in to the narrative that he’s an inside mid only, he was basically drafted off of his fwd/mid work from his bottom age year.

I like that they’re putting Fin forward. He played his bottom age year of u18’s as a small forward, and he started his career on a forward flank and looked good delivering the ball inside 50 early days. I don’t buy in to the narrative that he’s an inside mid only, he was basically drafted off of his fwd/mid work from his bottom age year.

Better not tell those that who don’t think he can play elsewhere other than mid people forget his first year where he looked good. It’s just we knew mid would be his best position not that he can’t play anywhere else.

He doesn’t even have to play purely there just start there and roam up the field after the bounce. Like lippa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agree. I think he's far more likely in the Lippa role than centre square at the moment. This year he's been looking above VFL in terms of linking play, but still VFL around stoppage.

has Ned Long been attending any of these senior sessions? Mid season draft is creeping closer
Not in the last week or so.
He was at vfl training last night, but I'm not sure he'll play this week or not. Seemed to be a little restricted, but hopefully he plays, we'll need him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the will want Ned and Carmy to get up for Saturday
For sure
I think we'll see Allan and DeMattia play a bit more in the middle too if yesterday was anything to go by. Need someone to fill that Fin role/minutes

Agree. I think he's far more likely in the Lippa role than centre square at the moment. This year he's been looking above VFL in terms of linking play, but still VFL around stoppage.
I just want one " aha" moment from Finn at the highest level. I've seen more than one from Sullivan and Harvey. He has tackled well but as yet I've seen nothing to excite me about his future in the big league.

Better not tell those that who don’t think he can play elsewhere other than mid people forget his first year where he looked good. It’s just we knew mid would be his best position not that he can’t play anywhere else.

He doesn’t even have to play purely there just start there and roam up the field after the bounce. Like lippa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonder why he hasn't been playing more mid/forward as opposed to strictly mid. Particularly in senior games where he's struggled to make any impact.

I just want one " aha" moment from Finn at the highest level. I've seen more than one from Sullivan and Harvey. He has tackled well but as yet I've seen nothing to excite me about his future in the big league.
He did have a game in 2021 where he had 21 disposals, he played well against West Coast that year, too.

I think people choose not to remember these performances but they both were very good and showed his talent.

Wonder why he hasn't been playing more mid/forward as opposed to strictly mid. Particularly in senior games where he's struggled to make any impact.
Two seniors games since 2021 as in full games hard to judge.
But the last time he played half forward in 2021, he had 16 disposals.
Maybe they felt we coudn't afford to move him given our lack of inside mids? who knows.

But I like they are trying it again. Would be the better way to get him adjusted to afl level before they can move him in the middle.

Two seniors games since 2021 as in full games hard to judge.
But the last time he played half forward in 2021, he had 16 disposals.
Maybe they felt we coudn't afford to move him given our lack of inside mids? who knows.
You can make an impact as a sub, as we see every week with plenty of players across the league.

It seemed like the club had only seen him as an inside mid, hence his limited opportunities. If he proves to be more versatile, that's definitely a positive for him & us.

He did have a game in 2021 where he had 21 disposals, he played well against West Coast that year, too.

I think people choose not to remember these performances but they both were very good and showed his talent.
It's not that people choose not to remember those performances..they were over 3 years ago and he's hardly been selected since. It's why we've had such high hopes for him..but when has been selected he hasn't had any impact. Hence why he hasn't cemented his selection for the following week.

I want him to succeed. I want him to make an impact. And I hope it starts on Sunday.

It's now 2024, I don't really care what he did in 2021 under Bucks when we finished 17th.

You can make an impact as a sub, as we see every week with plenty of players across the league.

It seemed like the club had only seen him as an inside mid, hence his limited opportunities. If he proves to be more versatile, that's definitely a positive for him & us.
He has done well as sub, the one last year and the two this year, which is why they gave him the full game.
But they never tried him there for whatever reason, and it may not be that they just saw him as an inside me. Maybe its where they thought he would play his best footy. But if they think he can add another string to his bow, they'll help his opportunities, as can be used as a rotation between mid and forward.

He has done well as sub, the one last year and the two this year, which is why they gave him the full game.
But they never tried him there for whatever reason, and it may not be that they just saw him as an inside me. Maybe its where they thought he would play his best footy. But if they think he can add another string to his bow, they'll help his opportunities, as can be used as a rotation between mid and forward.
Let's hope so, because I think his lack of versatility has been holding him back. If he can be a mid/forward, that will surely help him get more opportunities.

Perhaps they've come to realise that he simply isn't the inside mid replacement for Titch that we'd hoped for & they were grooming him for. Not yet anyway.

Let's hope so, because I think his lack of versatility has been holding him back. If he can be a mid/forward, that will surely help him get more opportunities.

Perhaps they've come to realise that he simply isn't the inside mid replacement for Titch that we'd hoped for & they were grooming him for. Not yet anyway.
Yeah, maybe not quite yet. Though they do play a bit differently as inside mids. Well, no two players are the same, so thats understandable.
But yeah if he can add forward to his role, then that'll help him with opportunities until he is ready to play full inside mid.

Jordy should take him to bali in the off season, get him stronger lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back