Past #22: Les "Bing" Crosbie: 44 games for NM from 1940-1944 - 1 goal - passed away in 2006 - RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

After we had a relative of Crosbie's post in the Laurie Davies thread:

Rip Laurie I think he played with my father Les bing Crosbie who passed away in 2006

Some information on Crosbie and his time at North & in the VFL:

I've done a bit of research and I believe I've found a little bit of information on Croz's grandfather.

Les "Bing" Crosbie - played 44 games across four seasons for North Melbourne, kicking one goal.

Finished with a win-loss record of 17 wins against 27 losses.

Appears that he started his career at Richmond, as a copper, who used to ride his police motorbike to training.

In 1940, he was training at Richmond, where he "surprised in the ruck, and is likely to be included on the training list".

He was playing ruck at Richmond, despite being 6ft 1inches tall at 23 years of age.

In 1941, he was brought to North Melbourne as part of a group of six players, accompanying St. Kilda's Sharp, and unaffiliated players Stubbs, Roulent and Green, replacing the injured Adamson & Kemp, the suspended Stewart, and Rian, Foote and Chergwin.

However, as of the 4th of June in 1941, Chergwin had returned to training. Crosbie had begun training with North, and would play there for the next three years.

He would play 11 games in 1941, 12 in 1942, just 5 in 1943 and 16 in 1944.

Therefore I'm unsure if there was any crossover between Crosbie and Laurie Davies.

Interesting to note that despite being just 6'1'', he was 92kg and described thusly by Bill Liddy:

RIP to Les - "Bing" - and condolences to Croz and family.

Another individual, another part of North's history.

kangaroo7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back