Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

We should of kept Preuss and traded Goldy back then for a couple of first rounders and actually kick started the rebuild then.

Preuss would be perfect for us now.
He still hasn't strung together more than a four game block

Great to see the big bloke get some quality airtime. Love him.
It did seem like a job audition of an interview tho.
Hard to say whether said job was as our 2023 captain or as a premiership contenders #1 ruck.
Perhaps either/or.
Same thoughts - getting out there and selling himself and his wares incase north doesn't offer much.

Leave it at his feet. Does he want a shot at a flag? That's in another teams colours. Does he want to be a one club 300 gamer? Then we stay together one more year. If he stays with us then he needs to be realistic about what we can pay him because I expect he's been well looked after.

Great to see the big bloke get some quality airtime. Love him.
It did seem like a job audition of an interview tho.
Hard to say whether said job was as our 2023 captain or as a premiership contenders #1 ruck.
Perhaps either/or.
He spoke about how he turned down other offers despite knowing we were heading into a rebuild. And how he loves helping the young midfielders. And he's happy to take on a different role to help the team. Didn't he also say that he wanted to play 300 at North?

I think he'd be happy to stay.

He spoke about how he turned down other offers despite knowing we were heading into a rebuild. And how he loves helping the young midfielders. And he's happy to take on a different role to help the team. Didn't he also say that he wanted to play 300 at North?

I think he'd be happy to stay.
I think so too, but I wouldn't blame him for entertaining other suitors if we were dragging the chain on contract negotiations.

It would be really sad if he finishes his NMFC career on around 295 games, deserves to play 300 in the Royal Blue & White. I hope he stays for at least another year, and maybe two if his form warrants.

And maybe he can also reach 10,000 hitouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does Goldy rate all time for us? I’m 29 and the only one I’ve seen play who I’d rate above him is Boomer and perhaps Cunners. The only others who I’ve seen who come close would be Petrie and Wells (latter’s legacy tarnished in my eyes). For sure a GOAT of this club - how do the older heads rate him though?

Where does Goldy rate all time for us? I’m 29 and the only one I’ve seen play who I’d rate above him is Boomer and perhaps Cunners. The only others who I’ve seen who come close would be Petrie and Wells (latter’s legacy tarnished in my eyes). For sure a GOAT of this club - how do the older heads rate him though?

Very hard to rank him against players who play in different positions.

Mckernan was a much more damaging player because of his forward craft, but his tapwork wasn’t as strong as Goldy.

I was a bit young to remember Dempsey who finished his career with North.

Leave it at his feet. Does he want a shot at a flag? That's in another teams colours. Does he want to be a one club 300 gamer? Then we stay together one more year. If he stays with us then he needs to be realistic about what we can pay him because I expect he's been well looked after.

He’s had opportunities to leave and has Always been loyal - he wants to stay.
Does he want to end up like higgo and go to another club and end up on the scrap heap.
Chasing a flag should of been done 3-4 years ago

Feels like a bit of putting himself in the shop window, not just for other clubs but for us too
That interview was surely organised by the club, sending out a senior player in good form to get back some control of the narrative. It’s hardly like he put himself there.

It would be really sad if he finishes his NMFC career on around 295 games, deserves to play 300 in the Royal Blue & White. I hope he stays for at least another year, and maybe two if his form warrants.

And maybe he can also reach 10,000 hitouts.
I want the club to take emotion out of the equation and just go with what they think is the best option (which I would assume would be a one year contract with a view to him dabbling in coaching) but you're right that it would be an absolute gut punch to see him rack up his 300th elsewhere.

That interview was surely organised by the club, sending out a senior player in good form to get back some control of the narrative. It’s hardly like he put himself there.
Could have been organised by the manager too. That said, he is publically declaring he wants to play on , so there's pressure for the club to act.

Could have been organised by the manager too. That said, he is publically declaring he wants to play on , so there's pressure for the club to act.
I’d be gobsmacked if it wasn’t initiated by the club. And the pressure to act is exactly the same, and it’s on the club to decide - he said he was open to anything that was in the club’s interest.

I’d be very sorry if he was pushed out. It won’t break the bank, it would mean a lot emotionally for him to reach 300 games with us, and we’d get nothing back except “freedom” to train up another ruckman who will never be as good as Goldy at his best and may never even be as good as he still is now. Higgins was great for us but not a one-club player. As long as Goldy isn’t itching to go, I’d very much rather he stays.

I’d be gobsmacked if it wasn’t initiated by the club. And the pressure to act is exactly the same, and it’s on the club to decide - he said he was open to anything that was in the club’s interest.

I’d be very sorry if he was pushed out. It won’t break the bank, it would mean a lot emotionally for him to reach 300 games with us, and we’d get nothing back except “freedom” to train up another ruckman who will never be as good as Goldy at his best and may never even be as good as he still is now. Higgins was great for us but not a one-club player. As long as Goldy isn’t itching to go, I’d very much rather he stays.
To be fair I'm not too concerned about who put him on media Street. As similar to you I'd hope his indications as wanting to continue and hopefully remain a one club player, combined with his good form, are enough to justify another year or two at the club. CCJ and X aren't quite ready

Remove this Banner Ad

Back