Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the better space cadets on the Richmond board has the "inside word" that Cunnington is off to Tigerland next year.

Must be looking for an upgrade on Martin.

My hunch is that it's just younger people with limited footy experience who post this stuff.

Goldstein is a very resilient ruckman who is playing a sustained level of good football. It's also a position which ages very well.

This is just player agent driven crap.

I'm not sure all the rabid traders are young or wiser heads are older but your points on Goldstein are exactly what needs to be considered.

He is generally around a top 3 in the competition standard.

He is the better ruckman on the day more often than not.

He can run out games strongly so you can play around with your interchange options more.

He is popular and entrenched in the group.

(Touch wood) he has been durable over his career and keeps in good condition so projections would suggest has lots of good football left.

Letting him walk without an immediate outside replacement (somehow I don't think Brodie Grundy is coming to Arden Street) would be creating a massive list hole where we don't have one.

Like you I suspect this is all agent talk. The only way we happily let Todd walk is if HE asks to or the club decided to slash and burn the list to the ground for some insane reason.

I'm not sure all the rabid traders are young ...........

That is a troubling notion.

You're 100% correct on every other aspect. It would be sheer idiocy to let Todd walk as a FA.

The only justification is if he held the club to an unreasonable contract.

He said it before, that he loves the club and can't see himself playing elsewhere. He will be happy to stay provided a reasonable offer is put to him. Of course if St Kilda (or anyone else) offers 200-300k more per year, it will be hard for him to ignore, but I doubt we'd be silly enough to allow such a scenario.

He said it before, that he loves the club and can't see himself playing elsewhere. He will be happy to stay provided a reasonable offer is put to him. Of course if St Kilda (or anyone else) offers 200-300k more per year, it will be hard for him to ignore, but I doubt we'd be silly enough to allow such a scenario.

He deserves a couple of years @ ~550-600K.

The club should tell him straight up that it's year by year after that.

In fact, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't do an "Eddie" and offer him an "unofficial" post career ruck coaching gig also.

I'm not sure all the rabid traders are young or wiser heads are older but your points on Goldstein are exactly what needs to be considered.

He is generally around a top 3 in the competition standard.

He is the better ruckman on the day more often than not.

He can run out games strongly so you can play around with your interchange options more.

He is popular and entrenched in the group.

(Touch wood) he has been durable over his career and keeps in good condition so projections would suggest has lots of good football left.

Letting him walk without an immediate outside replacement (somehow I don't think Brodie Grundy is coming to Arden Street) would be creating a massive list hole where we don't have one.

Like you I suspect this is all agent talk. The only way we happily let Todd walk is if HE asks to or the club decided to slash and burn the list to the ground for some insane reason.

And given we supported him through some pretty crap times and he's now regaining top form, ditching him is stupid.

I reckon the ball is in our court - if we tell Todd we're burning the list, then he'll want to go anyway.

If we say stick around, then he'll want to stay.

This - if the Saints offer him 800k a year, well, we can't match that.

It would more likely be the number of years.

Yeah, I'm not saying ditch him, I'd prefer to keep him.

The Saints also appear to have money to burn though.
Come on, I thought you were smarter then that, the saints aren’t offering big money to Goldstein.
They’re not that close to a premiership and Goldy would be retried by the time that comes around.

Come on, I thought you were smarter then that, the saints aren’t offering big money to Goldstein.
They’re not that close to a premiership and Goldy would be retried by the time that comes around.

I reckon he might be dead before that comes around. Happens once in 100 years apparently.

Yeah I think the 2019 Saints have just become the 2017-2018 NMFC, every free agent and potential trade rumour will be connected to them because it gives the lazy journalists something to write about.

As the season moves toward trade eon I look forward to the daily headlines of “Saints miss out on another big fish”..

The Saints have to meet minimum salary cap like everyone else and did even worse than us in attracting a "big fish".

They are paying a banged up Hanneberry how much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints have to meet minimum salary cap like everyone else and did even worse than us in attracting a "big fish".

They are paying a banged up Hanneberry how much?
i don’t think Goldy fits their MO, they’d have to change their primary focus of meeting and recruiting players from the Betty Ford clinic.

We have a caretaker coach and the footy department may be on the verge of being gutted.

Offering anyone a contract right now would be stupid. And if that means a few agents need to be asked in good faith to sit on their hands for a month or two, then that's the risk we need to take.

We have a caretaker coach and the footy department may be on the verge of being gutted.

Offering anyone a contract right now would be stupid. And if that means a few agents need to be asked in good faith to sit on their hands for a month or two, then that's the risk we need to take.

I reckon Todd, Marley, B-Mac & Larkey are no brainers.

What did Collingwood offer Wells, wasn't it like $600 per year, and what pick did we get for him? Goldy is a lot more valuable too so wouldn't be keen on a similar draft pick.

If we don’t land anyone this year and still have cap space, then front load his contact.
i haven't seen this Xerri kid play, but if you are all saying he is a forward then we need to get a ruckman in, we are sorted for tall forwards at the moment, ruckmen we are skint, I’m glad we have Campbell as backup, but that’s all he is backup. The dogs got rid of his and they currently can’t win a hitout to save their life.

Todd has been fantastic the last 2 weeks against English and Soldo. I’ll be interested to see how he goes in the coming weeks against Witts, Mumford and Grundy.

As I’ve said previously i’ll be interested to see how it plays out but I do know Campbell and Xerri aren’t realistic options.

My tip is he’ll stay and it will be a three year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back