Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Mackay is 20 too. lets have some patience

Seems to me there's quite a number of KP players in the AFL who got started young and now are struggling. Its not an easy Gig . I think the least you can do is let their bodies develop first before you throw them in

Mackay is 20 too. lets have some patience

Seems to me there's quite a number of KP players in the AFL who got started young and now are struggling. Its not an easy Gig . I think the least you can do is let their bodies develop first before you throw them in

Ben's AFL career starts next year, so all the angst arguments are a moot points.

Ben's AFL career starts next year, so all the angst arguments are a moot points.

Agree with this. The element of truth in his interview though was that he wasn't entirely clear on why he wasn't in the seniors.

I'd hope our modern coaching group would make every player acutely aware of where they are in relation to senior football without them ambling for months building up the guts to ask.

Agree with this. The element of truth in his interview though was that he wasn't entirely clear on why he wasn't in the seniors.

I'd hope our modern coaching group would make every player acutely aware of where they are in relation to senior football without them ambling for months building up the guts to ask.

He should have got a look in before Majak, but Maj was chosen and finally nailed his spot.

Anyway, it's history now. He takes the spot vacated by Waite either directly or indirectly.

It's also often forgotten he's a matter of days off from being ineligible for the draft we took him in so it a true bottom-ager, something which will be beneficial for him and us. He's on track because of the extra year in the AFL system that he was afforded, he shouldn't be worried at that lack of opportunity this season.

It's also often forgotten he's a matter of days off from being ineligible for the draft we took him in so it a true bottom-ager, something which will be beneficial for him and us. He's on track because of the extra year in the AFL system that he was afforded, he shouldn't be worried at that lack of opportunity this season.

I have reported before on the extreme level of impatience around here exhibited by some, but yep, he's STILL only 20, and he's WAY ahead of the curve for a KPP.

He's going to be an absolute ripper.

Totally. I'm not too fussed with the senior exposure given to McKay or Larkey in 2018. 1-2 development games for Ben might've been ideal but it's not a big deal.

The possible red flag from both their interviews as mentioned was that they seemed to be chugging along unaware of where they stood. In Larkey's case he seemed to think he was destined for selection some weeks (not something I'd have agreed with but regardless) and they only received any clarity when they pushed.

There is an argument that the onus is on them as professionals to track their own progress. But as a successful team unit I'd have preferred to hear the coaches were regularly spelling out where players stood and what they had to do to progress rather than leaving it to chance where the players just see out the season without asking.

It's a silly statement. Ignore it.

Ben is in competition with Majak for spots, but I have a hunch Majak may swing forward/ruck in 2018.

If the trades go well:

B: Williams, McKay, Thompson
HB: Wright, Tarrant, MacMillan
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Polec
HF: Atley, Wood, Simpkin
F: Turner, Brown, Ziebell
R: Goldstein, Jacobs, Higgins
Int: Daw, Anderson, Garner, LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Walker, EVW
I actually don't think he is in competition with Maj, when he comes in you'd think he'll be playing a more traditional KPD role as opposed to the floating intercept marker. He's in direct competition with Taz and Thommo, hence no games.

In regards to Maj's role next year reckon we'd be stupid to move him from his current position. The onus will be on Mase and a fit Garns to replicate W80s marking prowess and movement around the ground. There's some pretty clear logic from our list managment team this offseason- having Higgo/Polec/Hall/Gaff delivering the ball inside 50 will allow us to play a smaller forward line rather than bombing it in long.

B: Williams, Tarrant, EVW
HB: Polec, Daw, JMac/Wright
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Hall
HF: Garner, Wood, Anderson
F: Simpkin, Brown, Ziebell
Int: LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Thompson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy

Doesnt matter how impatient posters in here are, if Ben thinks he is ready to compete but doesn't get a shot then he will be pissed off, especially if communication isnt where it needs to be.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out when Harry is sitting on 30 odd games at seasons end and Ben is on 4 and out of contract.

He is the odd one out in his draft year atm, most around him have played plenty of games...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually don't think he is in competition with Maj, when he comes in you'd think he'll be playing a more traditional KPD role as opposed to the floating intercept marker. He's in direct competition with Taz and Thommo, hence no games.

In regards to Maj's role next year reckon we'd be stupid to move him from his current position. The onus will be on Mase and a fit Garns to replicate W80s marking prowess and movement around the ground. There's some pretty clear logic from our list managment team this offseason- having Higgo/Polec/Hall/Gaff delivering the ball inside 50 will allow us to play a smaller forward line rather than bombing it in long.

B: Williams, Tarrant, EVW
HB: Polec, Daw, JMac/Wright
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Hall
HF: Garner, Wood, Anderson
F: Simpkin, Brown, Ziebell
Int: LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Thompson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy

Agree with most of this especially the bold. Waite is close to irreplaceable - but every gun is until you find someone else or a different structure. Maj forward may still be the break in case of emergencies if we're 6 rounds in and Brown getting swamped still with not enough backup.

Agree with most of this especially the bold. Waite is close to irreplaceable - but every gun is until you find someone else or a different structure. Maj forward may still be the break in case of emergencies if we're 6 rounds in and Brown getting swamped still with not enough backup.
Brown only gets swamped if the Luke McDonald's of the world are dumping 80 metre torps in the vague direction of the goalsquare. All of our targets have something in common as well as outside run-the ability to lower their eyes and find a target inside 50. Getting all 3 would completely change the way our forward half operates.

Brown only gets swamped if the Luke McDonald's of the world are dumping 80 metre torps in the vague direction of the goalsquare. All of our targets have something in common as well as outside run-the ability to lower their eyes and find a target inside 50. Getting all 3 would completely change the way our forward half operates.

Hey, I said I agree. ;)

And taking 5 minutes to get the kick off so all the defenders can drop back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was in competition with Majak last year.

Tarrant and Thompson are locks well and truly ahead of both of them.

Watching Mason Cox break out in the prelim was thinking who realistically could go toe to to with this bloke? Ben surely is the best fit on our list after taz?

It's a silly statement. Ignore it.

Ben is in competition with Majak for spots, but I have a hunch Majak may swing forward/ruck in 2018.

If the trades go well:

B: Williams, McKay, Thompson
HB: Wright, Tarrant, MacMillan
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Polec
HF: Atley, Wood, Simpkin
F: Turner, Brown, Ziebell
Int: Daw, Anderson, Garner, LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Walker, EVW

Great side you picked there brad Scott

Watching Mason Cox break out in the prelim was thinking who realistically could go toe to to with this bloke? Ben surely is the best fit on our list after taz?
Earlier this year I believe one of Taz or Thompson came out and said when they look at who to play on, Maj takes the tallest and they sort out the rest between themselves.

FWIW I reckon with Maj’s leap he’d go alright against the big Texan

I'm happy to wager it is closer to our round 1 2019 starting side than the one you proposed.

That’s why I called you scotts.

Turner , Wright , jmac shouldn’t be in that side.
They need to go back to the vfl and earn their spots.
We bring in3-4 new players and they still in our best side

That’s why I called you scotts.

Turner , Wright , jmac shouldn’t be in that side.
They need to go back to the vfl and earn their spots.
We bring in3-4 new players and they still in our best side

I don't think you are currently capable of viewing these players on a "big picture" basis.

I don't think you are currently capable of viewing these players on a "big picture" basis.

Wrighty has the best skills/decision maker of the three but has lost to much pace
Jmac and sugar really look stale in the positions they play - I’d try jmac as a winger or half forward.
Sugar I’d give a go as either a lockdown defender on the smalls or either a tagger in the mids when we free up BJ as a freewheeling mid - has good engine.

Wrighty has the best skills/decision maker of the three but has lost to much pace
Jmac and sugar really look stale in the positions they play - I’d try jmac as a winger or half forward.
Sugar I’d give a go as either a lockdown defender on the smalls or either a tagger in the mids when we free up BJ as a freewheeling mid - has good engine.

I'll say it again, they all look "stale" because we lack speed and footskills in the middle.

He should have got a look in before Majak, but Maj was chosen and finally nailed his spot.

Anyway, it's history now. He takes the spot vacated by Waite either directly or indirectly.
Yeah spot on with the Waite thing. Can easily play ruck/utility so he should be in the team either way. Are we just holding on to durds?

Yeah spot on with the Waite thing. Can easily play ruck/utility so he should be in the team either way. Are we just holding on to durds?

Not sure mate, but he's a contracted player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back