Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the problem. He's not even been the best forward in his VFL team, and not better than those ahead of him in the seniors. As a defender, is he better than a returning EVW or is he even better as a defender than durds?

We have problems at small forward, not huge ass forward.

That said, if he had a tank then there are lots of potential spots he could play... At the end of the day you are not getting a gig in this 2019 team for just doing OK in the VFL. You have to make a huge statement in the VFL.

If he's thinking of leaving, I'd suggest that he needs to have someone that wants him first. There are a lot of VFL players without AFL experience, and only a tiny amount get picked up by non-affiliate teams. There might be some other teams with less KP player depth. Who knows.

I reckon he played well in the VFL this year

So Maj played with a busted foot since the gws game in Hobart. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to put him in for surgery a month early and give Ben the last month of footy?

I just don’t understand why Scott and the match committee wouldn’t be proactive with that sort of thing.

Continuity. Keep the same players to make the best 22 gel. If we keep swapping players in and out when everyone gets a injury it will cause too much instability

I tend to agree with you though, our selection committee is the one thing that seems to never change (improve or get worse)

So Maj played with a busted foot since the gws game in Hobart. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to put him in for surgery a month early and give Ben the last month of footy?

I just don’t understand why Scott and the match committee wouldn’t be proactive with that sort of thing.
We were trying to make Finals and Majak was clearly in our best team, and was still able to perform at a high standard. Clearly the decision was made that surgery could be put off to the end of the year to give the team the best option of qualifying for September.

Continuity. Keep the same players to make the best 22 gel. If we keep swapping players in and out when everyone gets a injury it will cause too much instability

I tend to agree with you though, our selection committee is the one thing that seems to never change (improve or get worse)
Didnt cause too many problems down at the Lexus Centre...

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he's good enough he'll play and he'll take his chance when it comes.

Over the 10 years that Scott has been coach generally players who don't get a game are no good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Exactly. Simpkin and McDonald played a heap of games in their first years. If you're good enough, you're old enough

In the last few years, I can’t think of a player who has left our reserves team and gone on to star for another club.
Hmm. Hard to make a case for another team if you arn't playing AFL - so I don't think you can use that as a gauge of who might of been a star but were forced out.

I mean, look at Jed Anderson... He could of been gone had he not been still contracted this year.

Hmm. Hard to make a case for another team if you arn't playing AFL - so I don't think you can use that as a gauge of who might of been a star but were forced out.

I mean, look at Jed Anderson... He could of been gone had he not been still contracted this year.
I think that’s the point thou, people think we have superstars sitting in the reserves.

We finished 10th in the VFL and the players we got rid of, for whatever reason, other clubs have steered clear.

Btw I’m not bagging the players, as I don’t know if it’s our drafting or development but obviously something is a miss.

Last edited:
McKay is a pack busting, contested mark beast.

He's everything we need, now and in 5 years too.

Just make it happen.
He does seem like a player with a lot of upside and one I'm personally keen to see get his chance.

If he's good enough he'll play and he'll take his chance when it comes.

Over the 10 years that Scott has been coach generally players who don't get a game are no good.
Up until now I think the "big men take time" philosophy has been in operation, along with the fact that his preferred position in the backline is being well filled by Tarrant, Thompson and now Daw. I'm not, of course, suggesting they have the same styles, attributes or roles; more talking about them as generally bigger-bodied backmen.

I anticipate he'll take his chance if it comes, although with Thompson going around again, and assuming the incumbents remain fit, what then? I don't think it's about him not being good enough. It's the same issue that we faced at the end of 2016 when the veterans were let go of to allow opportunities for others. McKay may well be capable, but still not ahead of others.

Of all the bizarre thing on this board, i think the strangest is this obsession with playing forwards back and backs forward. Like Daw, he’s showed his best in defence and no demonstrable ability as a forward, yet that seems to be the cue for many posters to suggest the opposite.

Scotty T at full forward in 2019, anyone?
I'm not sure the sarcasm is warranted here, nor do I think discussion of possible positional switches is 'bizarre' ks. To my mind it's a perfectly natural place for people to go if they're looking to include BMac II in the side. We have a surfeit of big men who can or have played back and, with Waite's retirement appear to be short a KPF.

Given this is, you know, a footy board, I think it's reasonable for people to speculate or advocate for various possibilities. With Tarrant and Thompson as mainstays down back, and the fact that Daw and McKay have been swung forward and back (albeit with stronger preferences and abilities down back), it makes sense to throw their magnets into the forward line in the bizarro world of "off season on BF." ;)

Personally, if we can afford to keep Daw down back, then that's a clear preference for me, although he showed greater confidence and authority during his short stints forward in 2018 than in the past. I anticipate that, at the very least, he may continue to 'pinch hit' up forward. Particularly if Wood can't command the ball and make the most of forward opportunities and provide a suitable and necessary foil for BB, then it's worth looking at the likes of BMac there.

I'd hate to think that he may consider going elsewhere for lack of (immediate) opportunities, but if that's a real risk and we rate him, then options like this become more appealing.

There is another option of course. We draft W80 at the back end of the draft, or rookie list. BMac and Daw can share KPF duties for the inevitable and remaining 50% of games W80 doesn't play. At the very least we bring W80 in for pre-game preparation to sit next to Mase, needling him with one word, on repeat: "Potential".

Was in the bests the same amount of time as Dan Nielson last year...

Averaged 4 more disposals (12) than him though, and also pulled down more marks (5).
Delist then? Lol

On a serious note, he should be in r1 so is in with a chance to solidify his spot straight up. If he struggles forward then we always have options with Majak swapping positions with him during the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delist then? Lol

On a serious note, he should be in r1 so is in with a chance to solidify his spot straight up. If he struggles forward then we always have options with Majak swapping positions with him during the game.

lol. No delist. I'd like to think we could fit him in the backline. I'd LOVE him to develop into another Patton, but it seems we are taking him another way.

Perhaps he will replace Thompson, but out of our 22 from the end of last year, you would imagine that EVW comes in - he is much more of a like for like.

Its going to be so tough for spots this year, performance on the track and VFL will be key to half a dozen players getting in the 22.

lol. No delist. I'd like to think we could fit him in the backline. I'd LOVE him to develop into another Patton, but it seems we are taking him another way.

Perhaps he will replace Thompson, but out of our 22 from the end of last year, you would imagine that EVW comes in - he is much more of a like for like.

Its going to be so tough for spots this year, performance on the track and VFL will be key to half a dozen players getting in the 22.
He needs senior football imo. I'm 100% sure he is very comfortable down back, so it's up to Scott's and co to either rejig the structure or instill confidence that he can be our #2 forward.

JLT will tell us a fair bit.

Does he have the tank for the modern CHF? Doesn't look slim enough, must be edging 100 kegs now. That's a lot to be lugging around. I'd prefer to position him deep and have him and brown twin prong at FF. Waite had just enough run in him to do the yards up the field. That's OK though.
Im excited to see how he goes at both ends of the ground and regarding his tank - surely if hes fit enough to play CHB he can at the opposite end of the ground?

Im excited to see how he goes at both ends of the ground and regarding his tank - surely if hes fit enough to play CHB he can at the opposite end of the ground?
Yeah I agree he's very exciting, I think when you see someone with that kind of size you feel as though they could just push defenders around like rag-dolls in the marking contest and boot 5 a game!

IDK about relating forward to backman, I think there are a couple of caveats with positioning and total distance travelled not being as high because its often a zone rather than a man on man cover. Also, I think there is a bit more run in the AFL over the VFL, due to the player quality and I guess the number of pre-seasons AFL players have done.

He is still young, lets see how he goes. He might of been complaining about not being able to play during his end of year interview, but all he needs to do is keep performing at VFL - if he for instance starts to lead (or thereabouts) the VFL in contested marks, then he'll get in very quickly IMO.

I don’t think he will get regular AFL games. Who does he push out?

No one.

We can handle the McKay for Waite swap even if he isn't elite speed for a big bloke, due to the influx of pace in other areas.

I don’t think he will get regular AFL games. Who does he push out?

I think he should replace Waite on the wing

Thompson, although technically I suspect he would be in effect replacing Tarrant who would cover more of Thompson's traditional role. I think we're phasing out Thommo this year (which is not to say I don't think he'll play plenty if fit, more that the role he was in will be changing more and more) and the main reason we kept him is cover due to Waite's retirement. If we need Daw up forward things get shallow very quickly down back.

No one.

We can handle the McKay for Waite swap even if he isn't elite speed for a big bloke, due to the influx of pace in other areas.

Spot on. I have McKay at CHF in our starting lineup in 2019. he can also pinch hit in the ruck to give Goldy a break which means we don't expose Brown to ruck duties. Most people on here have Wood at CHF but at this stage I have zero confidence in his ability to stay injury free (I hope I am wrong as I rate his ability).

44424956_382072585667651_101066986930048237_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back