Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to find the extra intensity and concentration needed to make it.

Hopefully shaw can teach him to fight with everything he’s got to stop his man getting the pill, rather than trying to zone off or give up on the lead too easy.

I think it’s a mental thing with him.

Just doesn't seem equipped for the modern game IMO. He'd be ok in Mick Martyn era, but in today's footy a key defender who can't do much once the ball hits the deck, and isn't prolific by foot will struggle to make it.

Perhaps forward is the spot for him after all, and if Wood wasn't there we could try to play him at CHF as a third tall? Don't know, but can't see him making it in the backline.
Give him time. Bottom of his draft age, only 21. Still a pup

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just doesn't seem equipped for the modern game IMO. He'd be ok in Mick Martyn era, but in today's footy a key defender who can't do much once the ball hits the deck, and isn't prolific by foot will struggle to make it.

Perhaps forward is the spot for him after all, and if Wood wasn't there we could try to play him at CHF as a third tall? Don't know, but can't see him making it in the backline.

You might be right, maybe I’m kidding myself. I dunno.

The kid I saw in the VFL in 2018 was a million miles from the one I saw this year though. He was physically dominant, his disposal was ok and he was clunking contested marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be right, maybe I’m kidding myself. I dunno.

The kid I saw in the VFL in 2018 was a million miles from the one I saw this year though. He was physically dominant, his disposal was ok and he was clunking contested marks.

I hope you're right.

Apparently this was all sorted 'mad Sunday', the same day that Ben McKay stood up and asked the team whether he misheard something and was told yeah ya did. But wanted to push the point.

The same day the players sung the Freo song to Mason Wood.

But yeah ya for us, we need him if we want to improve.

Did McKay incorrectly hear them call him a big cream puff?

Drafted the year after Durds so there isn't much "longer" in the persisting, and without checking I suspect Durdin had a worse run with injury. He's almost exactly where Sam was a year ago but with a bit more contract security.
He was a bottom ager too, which I guess is in his favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the pessimism at all.

It's more from VFl coaches than an opinion on BF. He doesn't follow direct at all well. Is giving advice and then states s**t wish I was told that earlier and then.... " we've been telling you that for 4 weeks." or some such.

Anywho he's on the list and just like Daw, Jacobs, Tarrant we've got to back him in. Let's hope he gets his s**t together.

It's more from VFl coaches than an opinion on BF. He doesn't follow direct at all well. Is giving advice and then states s**t wish I was told that earlier and then.... " we've been telling you that for 4 weeks." or some such.

Anywho he's on the list and just like Daw, Jacobs, Tarrant we've got to back him in. Let's hope he gets his s**t together.

So it's a footy smarts issue?

I can see some merit in that, but he's still just a pup in KPP terms and the physical assets are definitely there.

So it's a footy smarts issue?

I can see some merit in that, but he's still just a pup in KPP terms and the physical assets are definitely there.

Yep 100%.

I always look at it as there's 40 odd blokes and only 22 get a game per week, I've no problem with him developing further in the VFL. Can he though listen and take instruction will be the key to Ben having a long AFL career.

Sounds like he just needs to grow up a bit. Not saying that sarcastically, he was drafted young and is still a kid.

Maybe a bit more structure and direction at the club will help direct his ability better.

Sounds like he just needs to grow up a bit. Not saying that sarcastically, he was drafted young and is still a kid.

Maybe a bit more structure and direction at the club will help direct his ability better.

Agree and I think all of our current list deserve a go under the new admin. Reckon there's a few out there underestimating the value of the changes we've made.

We didn't get a fringe player, but we got a contracted Brady Rawlings who impressed all at WCE for what he achieved there. Beats bringing in a middling footballer (s) everyday of the week.

Probably just needs a weekend away with a couple of old heads like Arch & Spud.

You're good enough Ben, but don't get ahead of yourself mate. Don't become one of those blokes who had it all before them and buggered it up.

Probably just needs a weekend away with a couple of old heads like Arch & Spud.

You're good enough Ben, but don't get ahead of yourself mate. Don't become one of those blokes who had it all before them and buggered it up.

Had a chat with a then listed player about Evan Hewitt. Club rated him, fitted in well, Denis loved him and tried everything to switch him on psychologically but just couldn't get a heartbeat going.

Sometimes it's all upstairs.

Had a chat with a then listed player about Evan Hewitt. Club rated him, fitted in well, Denis loved him and tried everything to switch him on psychologically but just couldn't get a heartbeat going.

Sometimes it's all upstairs.

I remember Duck saying that it wouldn’t be long before Hewitt took over CHF and he moved to FF.

Didn’t we knock back Geelong’s request for him and give them Mooney instead?

I hope the penny drops for him in 2020.

One of his old coaches said he had better hands than Harry, but Harry had better skills. Also said that Ben is a big confidence player, Harry has always had a swagger whereas Ben doesn't. If it's a bit of time to get his confidence going that he needs, then give it to him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm hoping his Chronic Fatigue (or whatever he was reported to have suffered through last preseason) was worse than we ever knew, and that he subsequently returns to THIS preseason a newly invigorated bloke who's fired up to advance his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back