Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha I think of his 50m perfectly weighted kick to Jy that resulted in a Thomas goal from one of the games and think, damn, imagine if he could do that on a regular basis.
He probably could if he gets the opportunity.

i'd say a large reason it's mostly defenders there is because those disposals are under the least pressure. anything forward of the 50, the whole opposition will be in panic mode trying to run you down or intercept, you're much more prone to error. an opposition will usually be happy to let you chip it around the backline as they position to defend your forward ball movement, since you're far from a scoring position.

Remember when they used to say backmen couldn't kick?

Every one of them is a defender, except two who are swingman/utility types who can play down back.

Quite a few were rookie picks too.

It’s diluted with a lot of 15-20 meter chip kicks and handballs to a running player coming out of defence. Be interesting to see the stats for kicks over 25 meters. I’m not suggesting McKay is a bad kick, but he often just takes the shortest, easiest option. There is nothing wrong with that by the way. I just think the way the game is played in the modern era, it makes it easier for defenders to be more efficient than players in the front half.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The sense I have gotten over the season is that Ben relishes the opportunity to be top dog in defence. When Robbie returned, McKay dropped off a bit, I think. I reckon he started to tread water as Tarrant took back the “big banana” role. Anyway, time will tell whether that was just my imagination. McKay, Corr and Walker + Jack looks very well balanced. Drafting a big young defender will fit the bill for the future too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The sense I have gotten over the season is that Ben relishes the opportunity to be top dog in defence. When Robbie returned, McKay dropped off a bit, I think. I reckon he started to tread water as Tarrant took back the “big banana” role. Anyway, time will tell whether that was just my imagination. McKay, Corr and Walker + Jack looks very well balanced. Drafting a big young defender will fit the bill for the future too.

seemed more like robbie was treading water after not getting to automatically be the top dog again. ben had several dominant games in the back half, like when he held tom hawkins to 2 junk time goals, nullified aaron naughton (before his unfortunate concussion) and held tom lynch goalless. i think it's a large part of the reason robbie left for richmond, he doesn't want to spend his last couple of years playing as the second key defender.

seemed more like robbie was treading water after not getting to automatically be the top dog again. ben had several dominant games in the back half, like when he held tom hawkins to 2 junk time goals, nullified aaron naughton (before his unfortunate concussion) and held tom lynch goalless. i think it's a large part of the reason robbie left for richmond, he doesn't want to spend his last couple of years playing as the second key defender.

Fair enough. My impression was more that both Ben dropped off and Robbie was less dominant that in the past. A lose-lose scenario, if you will. Although, I do accept that the team benefited overall, from a structural point of view. From an individual perspective, I thought Ben’s first half of the season performances were superior to his output after Tarrant returned.

Fair enough. My impression was more that both Ben dropped off and Robbie was less dominant that in the past. A lose-lose scenario, if you will. Although, I do accept that the team benefited overall, from a structural point of view. From an individual perspective, I thought Ben’s first half of the season performances were superior to his output after Tarrant returned.

I thought his whole year was consistent tbh. He did extremely well to compete in the first half of the year with how many entries were coming in. He beat his opponent more often than not, which is remarkable considering how bad we were going.
In the second half of the year when the team improved he owned some elite forwards as mentioned by a previous poster. He like literally bathed them and put them to bed without a whimper.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep and just to add to this, the only time a behind would be considered "effective" is if it is an after the siren shot at goal with the scores level
Yep. Forwards suffer badly from the way it is ruled.
How many great kicks from 70m out, go 30m, and to a contest. That is ineffective.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back