Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes going to be a slow burn I'd say. Not at AFL intensity yet and shouldnt be played ahead of the current back talls unless for injury. We have him for another 2 years so he will just have to keep working hard and try and get better - nothing wrong with that
Agree he'll be a slow burn. Not sure he'll acquire what many of us think will be the necessary AFL intensity. I think we'll always get a lachonic approach from Sam.

Saw him live in Hobart and was surprised at how lazy he was.

He is good when in a one-on-one, and moves well for a player his size - but he seemed to lack any intent to work hard off the ball, to either get to the right spot or provide an outlet for his teammates.

I'd drop him and not bring him back until he has lifted his intensity and work rate considerably.
One man's laziness is another man's uncertainty. You don't have to be so quick to attribute every poor game to a deep-seated character flaw.

He did pull up behind his man a couple of times when he might have had a realistic chance to spoil. With more games he should get the confidence to take it on more. Also did a few nice things, got belted by Buddy and laid a crunching tackle on (i think) Hannebery.

Good enough to keep in if we're serious about it being a development year. If structure dictates he go out and come back in later, also fine.

One man's laziness is another man's uncertainty. You don't have to be so quick to attribute every poor game to a deep-seated character flaw.

He did pull up behind his man a couple of times when he might have had a realistic chance to spoil. With more games he should get the confidence to take it on more. Also did a few nice things, got belted by Buddy and laid a crunching tackle on (i think) Hannebery.

Good enough to keep in if we're serious about it being a development year. If structure dictates he go out and come back in later, also fine.

Not to mention the perfectly weighted kick to Lachie in the first to set up that goal, and then getting a touch on a shot by Franklin to save another one. Like I've said before, and seen while watching him the VFL, he's a defender who reads the play well. Knows where to be. Most definitely needs to be persisted with, although structurally, and sadly, may go straight out next week when W80 comes in. Very handy back up KPD, though, who will get plenty of games for us in the next few years. His draft mate Dan Nielson can play too.

I didn't attribute his game to a deep-seated character flaw, I merely suggested that upon my live viewing on him for the first time I was disappointed how lazy he appeared off the ball. He didn't work hard enough to make position, and did little to help his teammates when in possession.

Maybe Scott saw it also as he was omitted immediately despite being very solid in the one-on-ones, certainly better than Thommo had been prior. I suspect this will occur once again.

He did some very promising things that day, as he did yesterday. There's no doubt he has the makings of a decent key defender, certainly has the physical attributes.

This was definitely a left field selection through really happy to see him back in the side. Hadn't appeared to been in any kind of form that demanded selection so match committee has obviously decided it's time to throw him in the deep again and see what he's learnt.

Bring your angry pills Sammy!!!

If Durds wants an AFL career he has a few weeks to show his worth. Time to earn it Sammy boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Durdin getting another chance at senior level.

I'm hoping he gets some solid time as 2nd Ruck this week!!
I want to see some intent to hurt and desire to compete I think 2nd ruck is the greatest opportunity for supporters to get a glimpse of this.

He'll have the same issues in the ruck as he does at CHB, and that is a lack of intensity.

I watched him play a few games at VFL level last year where he was thrown into the ruck and it left a lot to be desired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back