Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've long said that he needs some continuity and he will be ok. People have been calling for him to be traded, saying he is a bust, that he and McKay are rubbish. He has had some injuries but now stringing some games together and looking solid enough without being spectacular. His game against Cox was his best.

The yawning comes from seeing the same comments about people thinking him a plodder over and over for him now to start showing some form and people are somewhat surprised. It is almost as if big blokes take a bit longer and require a bit of patience from a fan perspective.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with your last point but if we were going on facts he has been very meh for a long time (until recently) regardless of whether big men take time or not

You are right though

I've long said that he needs some continuity and he will be ok. People have been calling for him to be traded, saying he is a bust, that he and McKay are rubbish. He has had some injuries but now stringing some games together and looking solid enough without being spectacular. His game against Cox was his best.

The yawning comes from seeing the same comments about people thinking him a plodder over and over for him now to start showing some form and people are somewhat surprised. It is almost as if big blokes take a bit longer and require a bit of patience from a fan perspective.
Totally aware of the 'big men take time' perspective which, to be accurate, should read 'good big men take time.' Problem is that you can invest time in 'bad big men' hoping they'll become good big men and, in the meantime, they can all look like 'ordinary big men.' :D

I thought he was very lucky to have been contracted at the end of last year.

I'd argue, mate, that there being nothing to make you sit up and take notice is a good thing from a KPD, especially given his previous propensity for mental lapses that can occasionally result in defensive howlers. We know he's got a good pair of hands, reads the ball well in flight and is solid with the ball, but the fact that he did the basic defensive things right with little in the way of flourish or flair on this occasion is an encouraging sign.
I get all that mate. I wasn't looking for 'flourish or flair' and while I'll happily note 'progress' I don't quite see 'signs' that others, such as yourself, see that would have him a future 'lock'. At least not just yet. I certainly hope your optimism is justified as we have a lot invested in Durdin and BMac and need them to come through for us. (I'm not lumping the two together on a potential or form perspective; merely in terms of the future the club would have likely mapped out for them.)

He has proven he is at least afl standard. Has been solid since he came in. More time and continuity he could upgrade to handy

Did we say he was dropped for structure against the Puckle St crusaders because he was too slow/not match up? That chase with Cameron along the wing has me seething for that decision

How’s the wheels? I knew he was quick but didn’t think he was that quick. Good defender too.

Totally aware of the 'big men take time' perspective which, to be accurate, should read 'good big men take time.' Problem is that you can invest time in 'bad big men' hoping they'll become good big men and, in the meantime, they can all look like 'ordinary big men.' :D

I thought he was very lucky to have been contracted at the end of last year.

I get all that mate. I wasn't looking for 'flourish or flair' and while I'll happily note 'progress' I don't quite see 'signs' that others, such as yourself, see that would have him a future 'lock'. At least not just yet. I certainly hope your optimism is justified as we have a lot invested in Durdin and BMac and need them to come through for us. (I'm not lumping the two together on a potential or form perspective; merely in terms of the future the club would have likely mapped out for them.)

Durdin was good again last night.

Can only remember him losing one matchup.

He is significantly better than Tarrant at the same age.

Coming good the boy. Quandry as to where we see BMac ?

Now we got Larkey playing good footy with BBB not really needed fwd. Also Xerri coming along.

Insurance ? That would be a waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very, very solid from Durds. If that's the baseline we can get from him then he'll be an 8-10 year defender.

Beaten a couple of times by McInerney through sheer size, but that's going to happen when you're up against someone that is that much bigger to you, even to the best.

What I like about him too is that you can almost certainly depend on him with ball in hand. Makes good decisions when he has time, but also he's surprisingly good in traffic in this respect for a big man too. It's probably here where he's got the biggest advantage over McKay imo, if you think of those two directly competing for the same spot atm.

Coming good the boy. Quandry as to where we see BMac ?

Now we got Larkey playing good footy with BBB not really needed fwd. Also Xerri coming along.

Insurance ? That would be a waste.
BMac a year behind Durdin in the system, and young for his draft year. I see potentially these two as the full back and centre back in years to come post Thompson and Tarrant. Daw may return and play his defensive role chopping them both out.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought he played really well for an inexperienced young KPD, our backline was under siege for most of the game and he spoiled well, had 10 1%ers, seems more composed than some mature aged players. A guy significantly larger than him got a couple of marks on him but that is going to happen.

A good career is there for the taking if he works hard. I look forward to seeing him with another preseason under his belt. Has only just turned 23. Good upside.

Another pre-season to develop physically and he'll be an even better player. It's great we're getting games into him and I'm not in the least worried about Durds. Big part of our next premiership.

Durdin was good again last night.

Can only remember him losing one matchup.

He is significantly better than Tarrant at the same age.
The one against McInerney? Even then McInerney got silver service from Hodge 1-out, Durds managed to spoil and was unlucky it fell for a second grab.

The one against McInerney? Even then McInerney got silver service from Hodge 1-out, Durds managed to spoil and was unlucky it fell for a second grab.

Yeah I don't think I even classified that one as a loss.

He was in the game for longer, he defended well, he used the ball well in slippery conditions.

There was nothing wrong with his game.

Another pre-season to develop physically and he'll be an even better player. It's great we're getting games into him and I'm not in the least worried about Durds. Big part of our next premiership.
I actually think he looks larger than he has previously. He seems to have some added definition in the arms. He's starting to fill out his frame.

Very happy with Durd's game. Can see the confidence building. Look forward to him reaching a level where he can go his grabs. Got a great pair of hands.

One thing that was really noticeable last night is that he really kills the ball in the air. Some defenders go to spoil and it goes straight to ground in the corridor or slips over the back, but I think he punched that shit into the 3rd row 3 or 4 times last night. Good signs considering he appeared to be cooked when he got that finger injury.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back