Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - oink oink - extends contract until end of 2024 - 4th in AFL best 1st yr player

Remove this Banner Ad

Hatchy1992

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2010
Dragon Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide, North Melbourne AFLW
In all fairness, 3 spots later than what you'd expect him to go is hardly a steal. I love Powell and think he would be the best first year player we've had in a while, but I would say its more apt to refer to Ford as the 'steal' from last year given his output and where he fell in the draft.
Fair enough. I understand that reasoning. I just think any player considering output that was taken in the teens that is rightfully a top 10 pick is a steal. Can't argue that Ford wasn't a steal. He was.

teethmeetsflesh

Senior List
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair enough. I understand that reasoning. I just think any player considering output that was taken in the teens that is rightfully a top 10 pick is a steal. Can't argue that Ford wasn't a steal. He was.
when it is all said and done none of this will matter when they retire with a number of premiership medallions. All of the 1st year players bring something different to the team and Lazzaro is the most underrated of that batch imho.

InFineForm

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2006
Hawthorn East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
I reckon good drafting is more appropriate than a steal.
Whatever, I'm stoked we got him & can't wait for 2022 & beyond.
And I'm looking forward to Elvis, Charlie, Phoenix, Jacob as well.
And I've got a sneaking suspicion Patrick Walker might come on.

Mjs94

All Australian
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In all fairness, 3 spots later than what you'd expect him to go is hardly a steal. I love Powell and think he would be the best first year player we've had in a while, but I would say its more apt to refer to Ford as the 'steal' from last year given his output and where he fell in the draft.
I have seen somewhere that we had him top 5 on our board (obviously with Phillips higher)

fusion

Premium Gold
Jul 22, 2002
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A reminder:
There's pure beauty in that.

Imagine what he'll be like with a few years experience when the game "slows down", as he acclimatises to the pace of AFL.

I'm hoping last year's draft haul will be our version of the super draft Geelong had that set them up for a decade (or two). Top up with this year's draft including pick #1, and front load everyone's contracts. When we start challenging for finals is the time to use the war chest for free agents.

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah with pick 13.

So if he ends up better than WillPhill (pick 3), LDU (pick 4), TT (pick 8) and Jy (pick 12) then he's a bloody steal..
Nah.

A first round pick is the most valuable currency there is in recruiting.

You can't get "steals" with first round picks.

We recruited bloody well sure, but at pick 13, you want a good player

Last edited:

Shermanator

12 + 9 + 29 = The future
Mar 23, 2001
Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Nah.

A first round pick is the most valuable currency there is in recruiting.

You can get "steals" with first round picks.

We recruited bloody well sure, but at pick 13, you want a good player
Sooooo getting a steal definitively starts from pick 19 onward then?.. ok…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FootySmartSimpson

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Top ten picks are steals?

WHAT?
You always have to consider what came before the pick. And consider what we chose before the pick. Now, you might be happy with a good servant of the club playing 150 odd games and for a time being a very good player, BUT, I think most people would in retrospect take the six-time All-Australian 300 game Captain, even if he is a ducking cheat.

Many times of draft night we have spoken about what a steal we have gotten as a slider was named by NM in the first round. LDU, Ziebell & Jy are some off the top of my head.

Getting a steal is just a measure of expectations vs reality.

Duck the GOAT

Debutant
Apr 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You always have to consider what came before the pick. And consider what we chose before the pick. Now, you might be happy with a good servant of the club playing 150 odd games and for a time being a very good player, BUT, I think most people would in retrospect take the six-time All-Australian 300 game Captain, even if he is a ducking cheat.

Many times of draft night we have spoken about what a steal we have gotten as a slider was named by NM in the first round. LDU, Ziebell & Jy are some off the top of my head.

Getting a steal is just a measure of expectations vs reality.
Agreed.

Petracca at Pick 2 in 2014 was a steal.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Windy Hill Safe Injecting Room
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Is this for real?

I honestly can't tell.
There might be some confusion between "steal" and "lucky break".

Paddy McCartin was regarded as a future captain and a very smart key forward albeit with some physical risks.

Petracca's ability to take his forward line stageshow to the midfield stage was a big question mark and there were queries over his mental maturity.

That one ended up delisted 7 years later after a string of concussions and the other became a star in a team that got its act together doesn't really qualify the latter as a "steal".

Liam Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No you don't.

A top ten pick is the most valuable recruitment tool there is.

There's no steals in the top 10.
The picks aren't all equal though. I get what you're saying but if you can get a top 2 or top 5 player with a pick from 7-10 or even 13, that's getting more value than you probably should have. If they ran the draft again, Tom Powell would 100% be gone by pick 13.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Windy Hill Safe Injecting Room
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The picks aren't all equal though. I get what you're saying but if you can get a top 2 or top 5 player with a pick from 7-10 or even 13, that's getting more value than you probably should have. If they ran the draft again, Tom Powell would 100% be gone by pick 13.
What qualifies them as a top 2 or top 5 player if they're drafted at 7-10 or 13 though?

Unless you're looking back 5-10 years later there are no steals 1 season later.

SimpkinByTheDockOfTheBay

Seasoned Football Analyst
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Powell went exactly where most draft watchers had him. A mid round first round pick.

If he's a steal, the Cam Zurhaar is like robbing Fort Knox.

Ligma

Dilf lover
Dec 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aliir Aliir only fears one man

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad