Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty damning for the whole team. All of them just jogging after the turn over, Powell just happened to be the closest. Larkey & Mckercher weren't much further away. I have seen LDU put in that type of effort chasing plenty of times.

How many times do you see chase down tackles from us? There are sweet **** all from the forwards. The only guy that comes to mind is the warlord and he doesn't even have the engine yet to do it on repeat.

No standards are being set.

Pretty damning for the whole team. All of them just jogging after the turn over, Powell just happened to be the closest. Larkey & Mckercher weren't much further away. I have seen LDU put in that type of effort chasing plenty of times.

How many times do you see chase down tackles from us? There are sweet heck all from the forwards. The only guy that comes to mind is the warlord and he doesn't even have the engine yet to do it on repeat.

No standards are being set.
It’s why the highlights - yes, highlights - of Frank Szeleky were so impressive for me. I miss the days of Thomas (the good one) and Campbell hunting the man for 120 minutes back when we were competitive.

Awful from both LDU and Powell. But also, why have they got an extra man standing by himself on the opposite wing? His opponent (possibly Scott?) has pressed up forty metres ahead into a nothing position where he can't influence anything. This happens all the time, so it is hard to believe it isn't being coached. We are the worst team in the comp at defending turnovers and this clip shows why. We aren't really trying to.

Awful from both LDU and Powell. But also, why have they got an extra man standing by himself on the opposite wing? His opponent (possibly Scott?) has pressed up forty metres ahead into a nothing position where he can't influence anything. This happens all the time, so it is hard to believe it isn't being coached. We are the worst team in the comp at defending turnovers and this clip shows why. We aren't really trying to.
Yeah... where the hell are all our players? Zero representation in the middle of the ground. Even if LDU kicked it into the 50 and it was an intercept possession, it still would have gone the length of the field. It's bizarre.

I'm not defending LDU at all for that kick, but pause the video at the very start and have look at where our forwards are.

Not a single forward leading into the space on the near side.

Where are the other forwards leadingand what are the coaches instructing them to do?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not defending LDU at all for that kick, but pause the video at the very start and have look at where our forwards are.

Not a single forward leading into the space on the near side.

Where are the other forwards leadingand what are the coaches instructing them to do?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Definitely. Especially considering there was lots of space to lead into. But he still took the worst possible option, he should have just given off the handball to buy time for a lead. Or even just bang it long into the pocket so we could try and lock it in.

That's a forward who has pressed up to defend.

Three constant issues with turnover scores

1. Horrible skill error from LDU
2. Structural deficiency that doesn't help cover turnover
3. Complete lack of urgency to recover, win it back or halve.

It's terrible vision and probably goes some way to explaining how sides score so easily against us on turnover and when they start to dominate in the middle.

Powell is into his 4th year now and should be starting to reach his physical peak - that effort is poor and the fact he quickens at the end once it's all over tells me its an application issue, not a fatigue issue.

If he can't/won't compete physically no amount of neat disposal and vision will save his spot in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's terrible vision and probably goes some way to explaining how sides score so easily against us on turnover and when they start to dominate in the middle.

Powell is into his 4th year now and should be starting to reach his physical peak - that effort is poor and the fact he quickens at the end once it's all over tells me its an application issue, not a fatigue issue.

If he can't/won't compete physically no amount of neat disposal and vision will save his spot in the midfield.

It should be an easy fix. He assumed that he was out of the play, which was clearly a mistake. Far easier to get a player to rectify that kind of decision-making and effort than to improve poor skills. Lets hope its a great learning opportunity for him that you're never out of it until the ball has been disposed of.

He took a massive short step rather than go head to head with Newcombe for a hard ball against Hawthorn.

Its always been a knock on him.

Completely agree with your points. But if that isn't the wingman pressing too high, where is he? Hardeman, who would have been half back, has two players to try and defend.

It should be an easy fix. He assumed that he was out of the play, which was clearly a mistake. Far easier to get a player to rectify that kind of decision-making and effort than to improve poor skills. Lets hope its a great learning opportunity for him that you're never out of it until the ball has been disposed of.
Agree 100%. He's got some elite traits but it won't matter if he can't be trusted to dig in when he has to.

It is easy to fix but it shouldn't take 14 weeks to week, it should be rectified starting this week.

Agree 100%. He's got some elite traits but it won't matter if he can't be trusted to dig in when he has to.

It is easy to fix but it shouldn't take 14 weeks to week, it should be rectified starting this week.
Given the amount of improvement he's made this year already, I would back him in to get better at these things as well. Clearly working very hard on his game.

two is solvable if you do three properly. and three isn't even needed if you do one properly.

all top 4 teams know how to press up high. we simply need to keep trying till we get it right otherwise our ceiling will always be limited.

just got around to watching this.

did clarko call him 'milky'? i didn't know that was his nickname lol
also sheez... "thomas" :tearsofjoy:

Powell, as well as our other mids, simply have to figure out how to apply heat to oppo midfields.
Given the amount of improvement he's made this year already, I would back him in to get better at these things as well. Clearly working very hard on his game.
“Clearly”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back